Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
This topic is about The Dragonbone Chair
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Dragonbone Chair

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Feb 23, 2017 05:45PM) (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I'll put The Dragonbone Chair discussion in the Standalones folder and it can always be moved if you continue the series.

Starting April 7th.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Thank you for the folder. Do you think people won't like to read this series full? As it is a sort of a compulsion for me to finish what I start I will finish it. But I hope I will have buddy reads to go through with it :))

message 3: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments I'll sign up. I got a copy of this book for Christmas :)

message 4: by Quinn (last edited Jan 24, 2017 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Quinn | 460 comments Sigh, it is day after the traitor's blade.

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7417 comments Mod
Oh shoot - I forgot about traitors blade. I really need to set up a tracker on here lol. I'm now double booked.

Quinn | 460 comments Maybe change the date?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Ok with me if you change the date. as long as we read it:))

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Laura wrote: "Thank you for the folder. Do you think people won't like to read this series full? As it is a sort of a compulsion for me to finish what I start I will finish it. But I hope I will have buddy reads..."

I have no idea if people will like it or not - I haven't read the series yet. I just didn't have a ton of time this morning to add a new folder on top of a discussion and adding it to the bookshelf.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes wrote: "Oh shoot - I forgot about traitors blade. I really need to set up a tracker on here lol. I'm now double booked."

Do it! :)

Quinn | 460 comments How about April 7 instead?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments that would be ok with me but if we delay even more I may not be able to start Lightbringer on May 1st. The Tad Williams series is made up of four 800+ pages books and I also have another few reads scheduled in between so i'd like to ask to pospone Lightbringer a bit if we start Tad Williams later than 7th.

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Those changes would work well for me. I already have two BR in march and none in April. And I don't care beyond that when we start lighbringer.

message 13: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments I'm good for April 7.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I'm good with April 7 too.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

I will edit the shelf.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Thank you :))

message 17: by Nimrod (new) - added it

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments I didn't know The Dragonbone Chair is a stand-alone. I'm in :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments in for all the 4 big fat books in the series?:)) I for one want to read them all! I have somewhere heard that Tad Williams is one of the best but most underrated and least read writer. Want to see for myself!

message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm pretty sure Dragonbone Chair is a series. 5 books, with the 4th part being split between two books. :)

message 20: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments It's a series, but it's set up here as a standalone because so far it's the only book that the group is doing for the buddy read. If we add the others, it will be moved to a series folder.

message 21: by Nimrod (new) - added it

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Now it makes more sense. As far as I know it was planned as a trilogy, but Tad pulled off a Tad-Williams trick - the third was too long so it was split into 2 books. I hope Dragonbone Chair has a satisfying ending.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments It was indeed planned as a trilogy as far as I also know, but the last part - To Green Angel Tower got divided into 2 volumes as it was too big. So there is a total of 4 books. Even I hope it has a nice ending:)) I heard it is a bit difficult to get through in the beginning but that it gets the reader hooked later.

message 23: by Nimrod (new) - added it

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Yeah, I've heard it has a slow start, but the second half is a blast.

I'm just a bit worried about classifying the first book as a stand-alone, because most probably I'm not going to dive in to the second book right after.

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Jenna can you amend your first post to show 7th April as looks like the start date has changed on this one.

message 25: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Angela wrote: "Jenna can you amend your first post to show 7th April as looks like the start date has changed on this one."

Done.

message 26: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks so much Jenna :).

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Angela wrote: "Thanks so much Jenna :)."

Sorry for the confusion!

message 28: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I'll join in on this one. It's on sale on audible atm

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments i also apologize for the confusion. I am not sure if I was supposed to inform about it even on the buddy reads thread. It's great that we are more now in for this book. I was thinking there would be no one interested in it.:)

message 30: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Buddy Read starts for this book 7th April.

message 31: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2150 comments I'm in. I have previously read this book but going to do an audio reread and then continue on with the rest which I failed to do before.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments that's great Bill. I really thought nobody would be interested in reading this one with me. And most of the people only want to try the first book then decide if to go for the whole series. :).

message 33: by Nimrod (last edited Mar 20, 2017 03:31AM) (new) - added it

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Fortunately/unfortunately I got Red Sister and it's gonna be my next read. Reading Red Sister is gonna overlap our Dragonbone Chair reading so I won't be able to join you :( .... hopefully I'll get to it later this year.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Hmm I think I'll join I tried reading a couple of pages of it last year but I struggled however I think I'll try again since I've read other fantasy novels and I might enjoy it this time

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 44 comments I've been looking to read this book. I look forward to reading it with you guys. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments that's great guys. :)!

Shaitarn | 1930 comments Whoops, forgot to confirm I'm up for this! * eyes books on shelf, salivating slightly*

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 44 comments I need to finish Tigana before the 7th.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I may start this late due to work but I'm excited yet intimidated as I just picked it up I honestly did not expect the book to be "bulky" but I really am interested the big deal with this book so can't wait

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 44 comments I just read the introduction; I honestly cannot wait to read this book. I'm inspired to work on my own fiction now.

message 41: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oooh!! That's the best kind of book. :)

message 42: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

One that inspires your writing, that is.

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I'll be joining you guys for the dragonbone chair, even though i have like 7 books on the go right now...

message 44: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

lol I hear you.

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 44 comments I just started reading this the other day (I needed to finish Tigana first). I think we're in for a treat!

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Well, the day has finally arrived! I've been anxiously waiting this buddy read... So, I'll catch you on the flip side!

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 44 comments Should we post while we read? Or just meet in 30 days for a group discussion?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Please post while you read Richard. Whenever something impressed you or irritated you in the book let the others know. So we can talk about it. That is the part that is most fun in a buddy read: talking about it. How you find the book after the first few chapters, boring or tedious or great. What you think about the world and characters as you advance with it, etc. etc. Hope you'll enjoy it :)!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I'm really excited for this I just read the first chapter and I felt I just discovered this text in an archive somewhere and was propelled to a whole new world this is going to be a hell of an adventure

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 44 comments A few things I noticed, chapter 2 gave a lot of foreshadowing as well as infodumping. The Sithi seem a lot like elves, judging from their description, and I could sense tension between the human and elf relationships.

« previous 1 3 4