Support for Indie Authors discussion

The Storyteller
This topic is about The Storyteller
Archived Workshop No New Posts > I need honest opinion of my cover.

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jan 24, 2017 03:06PM) (new) - added it

Andrea (andreatomic) | 4 comments I am to publish my book in few months, and I'm not sure about the cover. I personaly like it and I think that it fits the story, but I'm concerned that others might find it dull or that it lacks color. What do you think?

s photo Exploring_zpsr0l91nz4.png

message 2: by Alexis (last edited Jan 24, 2017 08:50PM) (new)

Alexis | 265 comments I LOVE it. It's totally my kind of cover. It's all about the image and not the text. I love it. I would, however, make your name and the "a novel" bigger so that the words don't disappear when the picture is sized down.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments I like the cover on a personal level, but I think it's too dark to work in thumbnail, which will put potential readers off.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 13 comments That is a great cover. i often pick books based on the cover or title and i would pick this one up

message 5: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments I think it looks great but the maybe the font should be bigger? I notice the big publishers are starting to use bigger and bigger font to make the titles stand out on thumbnails.

message 6: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea (andreatomic) | 4 comments Alex wrote: "I like the cover on a personal level, but I think it's too dark to work in thumbnail, which will put potential readers off."

That is exactly what I am afraid of too, so I'm not sure should I change it.

Thank you everyone, I will try to make those changes! :D

message 7: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments Nice cover. It needs a bigger font. A font thick enough to read as an icon on Amazon.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 24, 2017 04:20PM) (new)

Andrea wrote: "Alex wrote: "I like the cover on a personal level, but I think it's too dark to work in thumbnail, which will put potential readers off."

That is exactly what I am afraid of too, so I'm not sure s..."

I would say keep your name alone on the bottom but move the title and the caption 'A Novel' to the left and up a bit higher, and probably enlarge the font, too but other than that, I like it.

message 9: by Sheen (new)

Sheen Reyes (sheenfrancisreyes) | 4 comments Love it :)

message 10: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 280 comments I agree that the image is lovely. It has a sophisticated look, too. I'd be intrigued :) I also strongly agree that the font should be bigger so that it's very crisp in all sizes.

The color works for me in this size, but definitely ask your designer to show you a thumbnail and even scaled down to appear in Twitter ad sizes, so you can see what your audience will be seeing. Show a few other people (who don't already know your title) and make sure they can clearly make it out. I think it's hard for us writer's to shift our minds backwards sometimes and view things with a clean slate perspective.

But truly, you have a wonderful thing going :)

message 11: by A.S. (new)

A.S. McGowan (ASMcGowan) | 14 comments I am going to agree with everyone else that you have a great cover here. I am intrigued to find out what the book is about. So the cover is doing a good job with enticing a person. The "a novel" part should be moved towards the left. It blends in too much where it is at.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Biehl (edgeofcenter) | 14 comments I think it's lovely. I agree with other comments - move the title up, and increase the weight and/or size. "A Novel" disappears, and the title nearly does, at smaller scales. I like the right-alignment and don't think it needs to move horizontally, just vertically.

I would definitely pick this up and read the blurb!

message 13: by Del (new)

Del Henderson | 3 comments I think it’s a lovely cover but also agree with other commenters that the title needs to be enlarged. Hope this helps : )

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Oooh, I like this one!!

Agree with A.S. about the "a novel" disappearing a bit. Personally, I'd go with a larger font for your name, if anything. Just me, though. Congrats on the book!!!

Hugsss,
Ann

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lovely! I agree that the title and author name needs to be a bigger. Also the title letter spacing could be smaller.
Move the title down just above your name. Upper part of the image is brighter and eye catchy, it would've been a pity to hide it.

message 16: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea (andreatomic) | 4 comments Thank you all so much! I'll try to brighten up the photo and go with a larger font and see how it looks like :D

message 17: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
I am in the 'all fonts need to be bigger' camp on this one.
The cover is interesting, but it is already hard to read the text at this size!

message 18: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Interesting, eye catching cover.
Please don't put "a novel" on the cover. Presumably it'll be listed under fiction. I personally find it a turn off.

And yes; title needs to be a trifle bolder.

But a good start.

xx

message 19: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Murray (goodreadscomjordan_rmurray) | 34 comments I think making your font larger and and the coloring lighter will go a long way, too. At first glance I couldn't tell they were flowers she was holding, and it looked slightly creepy - like they were bugs...

Don't be afraid of making 'the' smaller than the rest of the title, either. Play with it. :)

message 20: by Ariel (new)

Ariel C (missarielc) | 6 comments The title needs to be made larger and bolder.
The words "a novel" need to be moved to the left.

message 21: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Jordan wrote: "I think making your font larger and and the coloring lighter will go a long way, too. At first glance I couldn't tell they were flowers she was holding, and it looked slightly creepy - like they we..."

They do sort of look like bees! I see it now as well.

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet Maile | 16 comments Think mobile phone screens. What works on a computer monitor won't necessarily work on a phone.

message 23: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments My first impression in looking at it is "That looks like a bunch of bees on her back."

The image is good. It makes me wonder why she's hiding the plant behind her back. The font is hard to read though. It doesn't pop out at me. I think with a clearer font it would be better.

Also, as a personal preference, the words "A Novel" don't seem necessary.

message 24: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Font too small. Think about the Icon.

Another telling indie mistake is the author's name is small and at the foot of the page, almost apologetically. Look at trad published books: that never happens. The author's name often competes with the title!

message 25: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

A note that I think I should mention. Not stepping on any toes or anything.

Some people quite like having 'A Novel' on their cover. Other people don't. It is a personal preference.

It really can be however you like. :)

message 26: by Pat (last edited Jan 26, 2017 08:34AM) (new)

Pat (patdunlapevans) Image-wise, I like it, but it is rather obscure. White type is perfect choice but you've got to remember that this cover will become a very small icon on Amazon. As important as the image, the text for both the title and the author's name must POP. In fact, they must be HUGE. This isn't fine art we are creating. This is advertising. If the text is not HUGE, it will not be readable when the cover becomes a tiny image on Amazon. Make the text much larger, and bolder. Then shrink that cover to the tiny size readers will see. Does the image POP? Does the text POP? You've got about two seconds of attention from potential readers, so grab it before they scroll away.

message 27: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 890 comments In this size, I like the cover but as others have pointed out, it will become 'muddy' when it is smaller. There is little contrast between the woman and the background. If other's are like me, my old eyes wouldn't pay attention to the picture on the thumbnail anyway, but I do look at the title. Again, you won't be able to see the title or your name when it is in thumbnail size and that is what I see and has to catch my eyes. Until I pull up the full sized picture, most of the ones I see on Amazon and B&N are colors without form due to the size. (In other words, make sure it pops when blown up along with being able to see that title and author name.)
For me, 'A Novel' is redundant. If it was a novella or short story, then add that, otherwise, I make the assumption it is a novel. If you are stating it is a specific type of novel...then OK, I understand it, otherwise, drop it and use that space for title and author name.

message 28: by Allan (new)

Allan Walsh | 64 comments I like the artwork, but I think your title needs to be in a different font. The one you have used is quite thin and doesn't really stand out.