Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Quarterly Irish Read Nominations > Feb - March Quarterly Nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations for the quarterly read are now open. Following on from recent discussions in the group there are two changes to the quarterly read. We are adjusting how the quarters will fall so the tie in with the natural quarters of the year. As a result this quarter shall only run for two months, ending in March. Also going forward only one book shall be selected for the quarterly read, rather then 2. The second quarterly read shall be replaced by a discussion of an Irish poem (details shall be revealed later in the week).

Nominations rules for the quarterly book are as follows:
1. Books for the quarterly book must be by an Irish author or address issues specific to Ireland/Irish people.
2. People may only nominate one book.
3. All nominations must be seconded.
4. You can nominate a book or second a book not both.
5. If the book you nominate wins, you must lead the discussion.
6. Authors may not self nominate.

Nominations shall close at midnight GMT on Friday 27th January. For those outside it will be:
New York: 7.00pm
LA: 4.00pm
Sydney: 11.00am, 28th January

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I'd like to nominate All Names Have Been Changed by Claire Kilroy

message 3: by Maria Hill (last edited Jan 25, 2017 12:11AM) (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I'll nominate Hostages Hostages by Oisín Fagan
by Oisín Fagan .

An article in the Irish Times about him. http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/boo...

message 4: by Clare (last edited Jan 25, 2017 01:51AM) (new)

Clare O'Beara | 151 comments I have here Sea Change: Britain's Coastal Catastrophe
Sea Change Britain's Coastal Catastrophe by Richard Girling
For all nature purposes we can treat the British Isles coasts as one coast.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I'll second Emma's nomination. I unsuccessfully nominated one of her books in one of the previous rounds of QIR nominations. The Devil I Know was absolutely brilliant, and I want to read more of her work.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Clare wrote: "I have here Sea Change: Britain's Coastal Catastrophe
Sea Change Britain's Coastal Catastrophe by Richard Girling
For all nature purposes we can treat the British Isles coasts as..."

Clare I'm not convinced this meets the requirement. I'm aware that geographically Ireland is considered part of the British Isles but this book sounds like it is written from the British perspective and focused on the British Coast rather then the collective British Isles. Perhaps you might like to nominate something else.

message 7: by Vikki (new)

Vikki Coleman | 4 comments I'll second Hostagesby Oisín Fagan as I actually read that article and the subject matter interested me as I attended the "same type" of school!!

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Reminder there are just over 24hrs left to nominate. Currently only two books are eligible to stand.

message 9: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments thanks Vikki

message 10: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 152 comments I'll pick Academy Street by Mary Costello. It's at my library and it got great reviews when it first came out.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I'll second that Lorraine, if it's not too late.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now closed

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.