Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > February - Female Writers

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) In light of recent events, this months theme shall be female writers.

Please remember:
1. People may only nominate one book.
2. All nominations must be seconded.
3. You can nominate a book or second a book not both.
4. If the book you nominate wins, you must lead the discussion.
5. Authors may not self nominate.
6. As quarterly nominations fall this month, the author cannot be Irish.

Nominations shall close at midnight GMT on Friday 27th January. For those outside it will be:
New York: 7.00pm
LA: 4.00pm
Sydney: 11.00am, 28th January

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Can I nominate Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris.

message 3: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I'll second Gospel of Loki. She is one of my favourite authors and I have yet to read it..

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara | 106 comments can I nominate "small great things" by Jodi picoult

message 5: by Margo (new)

Margo Can I nominate We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. I haven't read it but Seraphina loved last year and a good friend friend recently recommended it also. It's a mystery story with a very unusual twist.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Thanks Maria

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I'll second Margo's nomination. It's a good book that is full of lots of things to discuss.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments nomination for Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

message 9: by Clare (last edited Jan 25, 2017 01:46AM) (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments Hi,

I've just read Strongbow by Morgan Llywelyn, who is not Irish. Though we may adopt her.
Strongbow: The Story of Richard and Aoife
Strongbow The Story of Richard and Aoife by Morgan Llywelyn
Morgan Llywelyn

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Surely an Irish citizen is Irish ??

message 11: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Her Profile says she's American born Irish.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Maria wrote: "Her Profile says she's American born Irish."

She's one of those grey area ones like Tara French. You could make an argument for it either way. As she was not born in Ireland and is only an Irish citizen on the granny rules, I'll let it stand in this instance.

For anyone wondering authors like this will be decided on a case by case basis when they are nominated for either the monthly or quarterly reads and their nationality is called into question.

message 13: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I thought the quarterly was about Ireland. It could be about a non Irish subject if the author is Irish but it could a non Irish person if the subject matter is Irish . For a quarterly read I nominated Galway Bay written an American .
Sherry I'm a weird bird in America both sides of my family came from Ireland . My fathers people came from Galway and Cork and my mothers from Tipperary.

Bookworm with Kids I will second Clare's nomination of Strongbow: The Story of Richard and Aoife.

message 15: by Emma (last edited Jan 25, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Guys I'm up to my eyes in work. I don't have the time or energy to get into a debate on this. Quarterly are Irish authors or books specifically about Ireland. Monthly have to be in accordance with the theme but beyond that anything goes except in months where we are doing a quarterly when the author can't be Irish. The author identifies as an Irish American who happens to hold Irish citizenship. She falls within a grey area in the rules. It's 6 of one and half a dozen of another as to whether it can stand in this category. I'm willing to let it stand.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Our job in life is to stress you out Emma ;-)
No worries .

message 17: by Margo (last edited Jan 25, 2017 11:46AM) (new)

Margo I thought it was a casual discussion.

I thought that nationality of the author was not an issue for the monthly nominations. I didn't read the rules properly. Apologies for inappropriate comment. I have deleted it.

message 18: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 12 comments Andy wrote: "nomination for Commonwealth by Ann Patchett"

I second Andy's nomination for Commonwealth, by Ann Patchett. This will be for February, I'm sure. I am hoping to read with you guys this month. I do love the books you select!!

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I second Kara's nomination for Small Great Things.

Bookworm with Kids Apologies, Emma, for adding to your stress levels. It must be hard to juggle work and Goodreads and have a life! Thanks for all your hard work. We appreciate it!

message 21: by Sara (last edited Jan 25, 2017 03:11PM) (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
NW by Zadie Smith. Emma is awesome, and I know I haven't had as much time as I'd like to help her out lately, so I'd appreciate folks taking it an easy on her.

message 22: by Margo (last edited Jan 25, 2017 03:53PM) (new)

Margo I misunderstand the conversation as a result of my reading difficulties.

I have apologized and tried to explain.

I was not trying to undermine Emma for whom I have the utmost respect.

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I'm sorry Emma if any thing I said you cause you stress . It was meant as a causal comment about nationality. Sorry :(

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
Hey Margo, I was referring to your comment, but just making a general remark to the group. All is well.

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Everyone it's fine. I was very tired yesterday and was probably a bit more snappy then was really fair.

message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I will second Sara's nomination. I've been meaning to try Zadie Smith for a while.

message 27: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Reminder there are just over 24hrs left to nominate.

message 28: by Margo (new)

Margo Sara wrote: "Hey Margo, I was referring to your comment, but just making a general remark to the group. All is well."

Sara, please explain your statement above. Exactly which part of my comment were you referring to?

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
By comment I meant that I was not referring to anything specific you or actually anything specific anyone said in the thread. I was just saying that I would generally appreciate if people made Emma's life as moderator as easy as possible.

message 30: by Margo (last edited Jan 26, 2017 03:39PM) (new)

Margo what you actually said was "i was referring to your comment". That is what i seek clarification on.

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
oh I see the issue now Margo. The was should have been wasn't. it was a typo.

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I apologise for causing more confusion.

message 33: by Margo (new)

Margo Oh that's fine so Sara. I couldn't understand what I'd said wrong. That's the downside to these discussion sites - tone is lost. Between my misreading and your typo we have comletely derailed this thread ;-)

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) The Gospel of LokiPaul wrote: "Can I nominate Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris."

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now closed

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.