Support for Indie Authors discussion

SIA Investigate > Anyone tried a Buck Books promotion?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Nasr (aenasr) | 20 comments Hi everyone

I submitted my book for a 99c promotion on this page:
http://buckbooks.net/promotions/
and got an email back saying the next available spot was in May, at $9. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the sender's email address is a gmail account. Should I be concerned?

message 2: by Heidi (last edited Jan 24, 2017 02:52PM) (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments Why would the fact that they are using a gmail account be your main concern? I would be more concerned about whether they have statistics for click thrus, number of subscribers, open rates, etc. The fact that they are using a free gmail address is actually referenced in their promo page. They put the fees back into promotions to build their reader base. I would find that to be a better investment if I were in their shoes, than paying gmail $9.99 a month to host a "personalized account."

But I would ask for those statistics I mentioned earlier. Bookbub, Gorilla Books, and several of the other similar service providers all offer them. To me, if you are paying $9.99, then you should want to see a mailing list targeted to your genre with several thousand followers and an open rate of 30% or higher, with a CTA high enough for you to realistically believe that only about 1/4 of those will buy and you will still at least make back your money. It's a numbers game and most of these aren't worth paying for. Those that are (Book Baby) know it and charge accordingly and also offer refunds if you do not get the sales to pay back the campaign.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 528 comments It seems to be new. There are only total visits statistics available from a couple of months ago. As for why they can't fit you in until May - well that seems odd. Or perhaps they are not really kicking off until then, in which case $9 seems more than I'd risk. Other sites starting up are free for a short while.

Not a lot to lose though.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Nasr (aenasr) | 20 comments Thanks Heidi. I don't think I've read a single post on this topic that mentioned open rates, I'll be keeping that in mind. And it didn't occur to me to ask for those numbers--I think I was just happy with the low price tag ($9) compared to other sites and considering Buck Books has a good reputation for getting results from what I've read.

The thing that got my antennas up in the first place was that you can't find a link to that promo page from their home page--you have to google it. And with so many phishing sites these days, it's hard not to get paranoid about giving over your credit card details.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Nasr (aenasr) | 20 comments Anna, I've been getting their newsletter for a while now, and read all about how they got started in the business. But like I said the promo page is not advertised on their main page, and I read somewhere that they do that because they get so many requests....

message 6: by Angel (new)

Angel | 216 comments I don't know sounds suspicious to me.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments Well, that is strange. Most of the sites would send the bill through paypal, if you don't pay directly on the site. I would request that if you are concerned. That's how I do my billing for my products because I am not big enough to warrant a site cart.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments I wouldn't go with them right away but keep an eye on them to see if they become more reasonable to look into. Stick with sites you know that have stats and credentials to back up their claims.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Nasr (aenasr) | 20 comments Update: I asked, and the payment method is PayPal.

message 10: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Heidi. You mentioned Book Baby. Do they offer ads and mailings like Robin Reads and EReader News Today?

Thanks

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments I'm sorry, Morris, that was a Fruedian slip (well, not quite.) I meant bookbub. Book Baby is a publishing platform and I subscribed to their newsletter a while back. I was reading their newsletter before I answered this. Both start with book, lol.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I've heard of Buck books and they've been touted in a few sites in the past, but they had been closed to submissions for the last year. But my concerns are a bit different. Last I looked, I couldn't find a way to sign up for their reader mailing list.

This can be a red flag since there are companies out there that make claims that they can guarantee a certain number of downloads, yet don't seem to have any visible presence where a reader or author can sign up to receive the daily book offers. Some of these sites have actually compromised authors' status with Amazon.

If they have a sign up for readers (not an author newsletter) then my suggestion is to sign up to receive deals in your genre and track their ranks. This doesn't always give an accurate number as it is normal to stack promos these days.

Ten bucks isn't too bad, but at 99¢, you would need to sell roughly fifteen to twenty books in a countdown sale or almost thirty at the 35% royalty rate to break even. Not impossible, but paid promos are always a gamble, even with the "tried and true" sites.

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita Nasr (aenasr) | 20 comments Thanks Christina, glad someone else has heard of them. It's the first time I'm paying for a promo, other than a Bargain Booksy I just signed up for. And relying on a few freebies. I'm just writing it off as an experiment at this point.

Only recently has the reader sign-up form returned on their main site. That's all you get: a very perky lady in a video with the email input panel underneath. Their newsletters are split into two: fiction and non-fiction and that's it. And they don't use book cover images (maybe to avoid ending up in the spam folder) so I don't know how they supposedly do so well. They are funny though.

message 14: by Joel (new)

Joel Horn (joelhorn) I has a set date to do a promotion with them last fall. I was doing a free giveaway and missed that they only did 99 cent promoting. He penciled me in and then I caught he was promoting it as a 99 cent deal. I pointed it out to him and he apologized that he didn't catch that that he had to cancel.
Seemed honest to me.

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Okay, I can't resist.

*tosses $9 at Buck Books dude*

Scheduled for July. Taking big risks, baby! ^_~

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Well dang! I guess we will have to wait until May and July for results. They are certainly popular!

message 17: by Zachery (new)

Zachery Miller (zachattackmiller) | 5 comments Annie wrote: "Okay, I can't resist.

*tosses $9 at Buck Books dude*

Scheduled for July. Taking big risks, baby! ^_~"

JULY! wow. thats a wait.

message 18: by Zachery (new)

Zachery Miller (zachattackmiller) | 5 comments What about GoodReads promos?

message 19: by Zachery (new)

Zachery Miller (zachattackmiller) | 5 comments Heidi wrote: "I'm sorry, Morris, that was a Fruedian slip (well, not quite.) I meant bookbub. Book Baby is a publishing platform and I subscribed to their newsletter a while back. I was reading their newsletter ..."

OMG I get confused with both of them too.

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Zach wrote: "What about GoodReads promos?"

There are several threads with results from Goodreads promos. Check the marketing and promo folder.

message 21: by Anita (new)

Anita Nasr (aenasr) | 20 comments Update on my Buck Books promotion: the $9 promo got me 10 ebook sales.

It did better than a previous Bargain Booksy promo that cost me $35 and got about 23 sales.

Overall conclusion: get back to writing.

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments I got an e-mail from a book marketer who I subscribe to and he actually worked with the founder of buckbooks. I have the e-mail saved in the event I decide to go with them and run a promotion.

message 23: by Gregg (new)

Gregg Michaelsen | 3 comments Anita wrote: "Hi everyone

and got an email back saying the next available spot was in May, at $9. The only thing I'm concer..."

Anita wrote: "Hi everyone
and got an email back saying the next available spot was in May, at $9. The only thing I'm concer..."

Hi Anita, I use Buck Books all the time and are very happy with them. Every time I launch a book I contact them. I promote my older books with them also. I work with a guy named Cherub - great guy.