The Girl on the Train The Girl on the Train discussion

The Girl on the Train

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige Haglund The Girl on the Train is a novel about a girl named Rachel who is divorced and trying her best to overcome the changes in her life, up until she gets caught up with a scandal that makes her want to dig deeper into her ex husband's history. Rachel rides the train everyday observing her old house being occupied by her ex husband, Tom, and his new wife, Megan, and also examines, a dream couple living in a home a couple doors down from them. This is a scandal that puts Rachel’s life at risk and finding out the truth from several years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because the suspense and mystery was very engaging making it challenging to stop reading. I would rate this book a ⅘ stars.

Mirkat Wrong place for reviews.

message 3: by Mik (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mik Great topic of discussion for Everything, Everything LOL

Charlene Beswick I enjoyed this book but guessed the ending about two thirds of the way through which was slightly irritating. I do love a good last minute surprise. Generally an easy to read story and gripping in parts. I haven't seen the film yet and never watch one anyway until I've read the book. Anyone else or is that just me?

message 5: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa I didn't like it at all and the movie was terrible and wasn't like the book at all.

Anne Todd I enjoyed the book, haven't managed to see the film yet. The book was similar to JOANNA by Anne E Thompson - anyone read it? (It's a new release, available on Amazon).

Is the Girl on the Train film worth seeing? Having missed it at the cinema I have to decide if it's worth buying the DVD. Views???

Logan J. Alexander Anne wrote: "I enjoyed the book, haven't managed to see the film yet. The book was similar to JOANNA by Anne E Thompson - anyone read it? (It's a new release, available on Amazon).

Is the Girl on the Train fil..."

I found the film to be pretty average. I honestly didn't like the way that it was filmed. Definitely preferred the book over the film.

Cassie I enjoyed the book however it was a little slow. It got better towards the end but difficult to continue reading. I would say it is probably not a book for everyone. I still haven't watched the movie so I am not sure how close it will be. I can imagine however just like with every other book out there the book is so much better than the movie.

Rohase Piercy I loved the book, and enjoyed the film - my main problem was the obligatory transfer of all the action from London to New York - the train line and the houses adjacent to the track were just so different from the journey into London with those South London Victorian houses so vividly described in the book. It gave the whole story an entirely different feel, and lost something in the process.

Sonja Charlie wrote: "I enjoyed this book but guessed the ending about two thirds of the way through which was slightly irritating. I do love a good last minute surprise. Generally an easy to read story and gripping in ..."

I agree with you- I guessed the ending fairly early on aswell. I read the book becaused it was so hyped up and that you wouldnt be able to know who had done it in the end so I was waiting for a twist that never came. Other than that I really enjoyed the book.
The movie is probably okay on its own,it has a great cast, but after reading the book too much is missing and done too quickly.

Vanna I thought this was very interesting. Had a fun time reading it, but couldn't stand any of the characters. Which it seemed like it was meant to be that way/

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne Williams I didn't really get this book. I'd seen it reviewed in a newspaper and was looking forward to reading it on my holiday. As it turned out I had to wait a while and when I finally got hold of a copy I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. Still not sure what was happening and would struggle to give a synopsis. Disappointing.

Shilpa @anne,

I agree with you. After reading so many reviews and ratings, I was under impression that it is going to be a great suspense novel but it turned out to be average book.

I guess, I was expecting something more twisted or shocking in the end.

Sreekala Sureshkumar I had the distinct impression that it was written with a movie script lurking in the shadows. A thriller no doubt but entirely predictable. Only mentally ill people commit horrendous crimes- totally reductionist view I thought. I was waiting for some subtlety of character..I did like however that the heroine was less than perfect as we find in so many novels. Made her more human somehow.

Alicia Coultas [MINOR SPOILER INCLUDED]

I have very mixed feelings about this book... I can't say I hate it, but it definitely wouldn't be the best book that I have ever read. The one, probably very minor thing that keeps bugging now more than ever was the role of red-headed male on the train (Adam, I believe?). I was kind of hoping that when he was introduced that the author would make him a bigger player in the case, maybe even the killer...? I feel as if the author made him seem very relevant for about 2 seconds and then abruptly switched directions. I understand wanting to get the readers off track, but, in my opinion, I believe I would have enjoyed the author expanding on figuring out who he was and making him the killer in the end. Am I alone in this?

Carmel Hanes I really felt this was an average book, hyped up to seem better than it truly was. It was readable, but I never liked any of the characters, which is what makes me want to keep reading, to find out what happens to them. Both the book, and the movie, seemed really slow to take off and build suspense.

Haley Blain Carmel wrote: "I really felt this was an average book, hyped up to seem better than it truly was. It was readable, but I never liked any of the characters, which is what makes me want to keep reading, to find out..."

I agree entirely. This book was REALLY hyped up, which made me so excited to start reading it. It was super slow and very drawn out. It's no fun to read about a pathetic drunk. I closed the book when I was finished and can say that I not only will not recommend it to friends but I may even discourage them from reading it. Way too hyped up.

Mirkat Paige, in case you are still following this thread and still don't know how to post a review at Goodreads, you can find help here.

message 19: by Barry (new) - added it

Barry Battle Amazing read!!! I was almost scared to watch the movie because filmmakers never tell the authors story.