Romance Writers & Readers discussion

Author Help > Get into bookstores

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments OK, so has anyone managed to get their self-pub into a bookstore?

I was reeled in by CreateSpace, who promise to "make your book available to bookstores".
But when enquiring for a UK bookstore, they need to go via Gardners, who require a UK distributor.

CS replied to my query saying Gardners can purchase via Amazon Europe, but surely that means they pay RRP not wholesale? wtf??

So, please feel free to share your experiences with this.

I'm a UK dweller and would love my books to be on shelves in my own country.
But am also curious if the US stores have the same issues.

xx

message 2: by Angel (last edited Jan 24, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

Angel TL Clark (author of love) wrote: "OK, so has anyone managed to get their self-pub into a bookstore?

I was reeled in by CreateSpace, who promise to "make your book available to bookstores".
But when enquiring for a UK bookstore, th..."

I can't say if it's a issue here in the U.S. since I haven't been looking in the brick and mortar bookstores for my print books. But there are other ways to get your print copies into your local bookstores. I don't know if in the UK, if they have this but, here you can go to your local bookstores or even libraries, but particularly bookstores and talk with the owners/managers and (find out if they would do this, not all may agree) ask if they wouldn't mind you giving them a certain amount of copies to sell of your books in their bookstores and what they sell you get 40% of the profits, some give the author, even 60% and the bookstore gets 40%, find out what percentage they are willing to take of the profits, make sure you get this in writing, in the form of a contract. This could encourage publicity for you and the bookstore (if the bookstore is well-known all the more better for you) and if you are able to do a book signing there even better.

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments You must be reading my mind. My book comes out on Feb. 1st. I have already thought about going to my local bookstore to try to get them to sell my book. I live in Germany so I don't think it will be easy to get the book there unless I do it myself. I will let you know how it goes whether good or bad. I have heard of other people doing the same. Good luck!

message 4: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Yeah I can get into small indie stores but not into the big boys club.

message 5: by Angel (new)

Angel TL Clark (author of love) wrote: "Yeah I can get into small indie stores but not into the big boys club."

Small indie stores is the perfect place to start.

message 6: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments I guess. But a start and an end if the top guns can't stock it.
I'm trying to think of a cunning plan...

message 7: by Angel (new)

Angel Kristina wrote: "You must be reading my mind. My book comes out on Feb. 1st. I have already thought about going to my local bookstore to try to get them to sell my book. I live in Germany so I don't think it will b..."

You can try a preorder for your book that will get the exposure ball rolling for you.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) I honestly don't know about here in the US. I've never tried. I've thought about it a few times to ask Barnes and Noble, but...still thinking about it. hahaha

I like CS for the fact they have the option and it's in Barnes and Nobles and whatnot via online for purchase.

message 9: by Angel (last edited Jan 24, 2017 10:59AM) (new)

Angel TL Clark (author of love) wrote: "I guess. But a start and an end if the top guns can't stock it.
I'm trying to think of a cunning plan..."

There are a list of local independent bookshops in the UK such as Black Books, Albion Beatnik, The Atlantis Bookshop, The Big Comfy Bookshop. I found this website for you. Hope that helps!

Here is the website of more UK independent bookshops that sell all sorts of books:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/books-com...

*There's a pop up that comes up about username and such but ignore that, close it out and you can browse the site freely.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 96 comments You need to look into Ingram book distributors. They offer Ingram Spark for self-publishers, but it's better to go directly with Ingram. Their service is not free.

message 11: by Angel (new)

Angel TL Clark (author of love) wrote: "OK, so has anyone managed to get their self-pub into a bookstore?

But when enquiring for a UK bookstore, th..."

Also when Createspace says they'll "make your book available to local bookstores' they mean when they are ordered by that particular bookstore, since Createspace is print on demand, which means they will print copies of your book when that particular bookstore or you request them, sadly they won't do this for free. The copies would have to be purchased first then printed. That's been my experience with the print on demand feature.

message 12: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 8 comments My book is in local bookstores and a number of libraries. This happened because I got it reviewed by the state library association. Most of the bookstores pay me 60% of retail value and buy them outright. A couple are consignment.

message 13: by Angel (new)

Angel Belle wrote: "My book is in local bookstores and a number of libraries. This happened because I got it reviewed by the state library association. Most of the bookstores pay me 60% of retail value and buy them ou..."

That's exactly what I was referring to.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim Padgett-Clarke | 4 comments I approached my local Waterstones and they were happy to let me do a book signing in their store. It was up to me to do the publicity which was fair enough. Just a tip, don't have a signing on a bank holiday as most people don't seem to visit a bookstore then.

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments Belle wrote: "My book is in local bookstores and a number of libraries. This happened because I got it reviewed by the state library association. Most of the bookstores pay me 60% of retail value and buy them ou..."

Are you providing them the books or are they ordering them themselves?

message 16: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Thanks for tips.

Oddly, my Waterstones were happy for me to do a book signing (supplying my own books). They just can't stock them.

Local bookstores have the same policy btw. I can buy author copies & supply them.
Seems to be a UK dustribution problem.

message 17: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 8 comments I provide the books. Any bookstore can order directly but the ones that keep it in stock get it from me. I found the library the biggest road block but the review from the association opened that door, though you make almost nothing from library sales. But it gets it out there. I am just too lazy to write under contract so I'll stay indie.

message 18: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 118 comments My local chain store has written instructions on how to get your book sold with them. The only thing I remember is you have to provide them with two copies, which they will then review before buying your book.

message 19: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 2365 comments Mod
*makes popcorn*
*opens notebook*
*scribbles down info*

Thanks so much for sharing, ladies! Super duper useful!!

Hugsss,
Ann

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Interesting topic, so far I have had no luck getting any bookstores to stock my books, but I'm gonna keep trying!

message 21: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments One more question for those who do not live in the US, when you order a bunch of author copies from Createspace, do those copies come from the US or from European distributors? I'm annoyed how much I had to pay in shipping just for my proofs.

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylrlane) | 13 comments Amanda wrote: "I honestly don't know about here in the US. I've never tried. I've thought about it a few times to ask Barnes and Noble, but...still thinking about it. hahaha

I like CS for the fact they have the..."

I tried Barnes & Noble when I published my first book, and they told me that because my books are thru createspace and only available (to B&N) thru orderiing, that they couldn't sell them in the bookstore or have a book signing. I don't know if that's the case with all B&N, but it was with the one I tried.

message 23: by Angel (last edited Jan 25, 2017 08:17AM) (new)

Angel Kristina wrote: "One more question for those who do not live in the US, when you order a bunch of author copies from Createspace, do those copies come from the US or from European distributors? I'm annoyed how much..."

I'm not sure. You might have to contact European distributors directly or Createspace. I know when I purchased my first author copies (total of twelve to twenty). I paid between $50-120 or so dollars that's counting shipping, printing on demand costs. It was way cheaper for me to buy them through Createspace instead of Amazon which would've cost me double per copy although the shipping would be free since I have an Amazon account. Costs vary depending on your location (where they have to ship it to) and how many copies you ordered to be printed.

message 24: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments Kristina, as far as I know, all author copies come from the US. It's a pain. :/

message 25: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Yeah, author copies from CS come from US.
They have a UK supply chain but only for Anazon UK buyers.
Harumph! ;-(
This is part of my problem; to get into UK stores I need to order from US then go to stores/post my books on.

Just frustrating when there is a UK distribution. Us mere mortals aren't allowed to use it though.

message 26: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Barnes & Noble are US based and I thought if you chose expanded distribution they should be able to stock your books.

There seems to be a scary bouncer not ketting indies into big book stores. ;-/

message 27: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments I think book stores can order your book for someone but not display them. Maybe I'm wrong. I also think that the expanded distribution only works in the US. Maybe someone can tell me differently.

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) So here's a great video from CS themselves explaining their distribution policies. Short but very informative!

https://forums.createspace.com/en/com...

message 29: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Amanda wrote: "So here's a great video from CS themselves explaining their distribution policies. Short but very informative!

https://forums.createspace.com/en/com..."

Thank you Queen Amanda.

I'm still trying here. :)

Kristina; you're correct. Waterstones can see my book on Nielsen, so should any customers ask them to order it for them they can do so. They just can't stock it.
I'm aiming to get my book on shelves. It's a lofty ambition, but I will continue to try.

message 30: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments This is when we need to break out of Createspace once we have a good following. I'm just starting so this is the first step.

It was an interesting video. Thank you Queen Amanda. It's amazing that in 2012-13 you had to pay $25 to do expanded distribution. Now you don't. I wonder if a lot has changed since that video is from 2012/13.

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Kristina wrote: "This is when we need to break out of Createspace once we have a good following. I'm just starting so this is the first step.

It was an interesting video. Thank you Queen Amanda. It's amazing that ..."

Well, I got that straight from their website (signed into my account) so I imagine, unless they stated like the price change, not much has changed.

message 32: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments So, who can indie print/supply in the UK?
(*scratches head*)

I am just checking with Gardners that they can't order via Ingram (I suspect not but thought I'd ask).
Gardeners are who Waterstones & WH Smith order with btw.

message 33: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments It is funny because a friend of mine in Germany just asked if she can order from a big book chain here in Germany. So I am going to ask this to Createspace regarding distribution within Germany. I'm curious what they will say. I will keep you posted.

This has been a very informative chain in this group. THANK YOU!!!

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim Padgett-Clarke | 4 comments I printed my first book with FeedARead who are a UK company funded through the Arts Council. I am with Createspace for my latest book but I might go back to FeedARead because of the time and cost of getting author copies from Createspace.

message 35: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Ooh Kim. I'd not heard of FeedARead. I may have to investigate them. Thank you xx

message 36: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments So here is the answer I got from Createspace about extended distribution within Europe.
____
When you enroll your title in the Bookstores & Online Retailers or Libraries & Academic Institutions channels, CreateSpace provides your book's information to third-party distributors Ingram and Baker and Taylor, respectively. This program Distribute your books within the United States only, I apologize for any disappointment this could cause.

Nonetheless, an option you may consider is distribute the books to this store directly. You have the option to order copies as the author paying only the manufacturing cost and you can send the order directly by selecting their address for the shipping.

message 37: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Kristina wrote: "So here is the answer I got from Createspace about extended distribution within Europe.
____
When you enroll your title in the Bookstores & Online Retailers or Libraries & Academic Institutions cha..."

Yeah, similar to the response I received.
It's very disappointing it's so USA centric.

Thanks for sharing xx

message 38: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments Exactly! Have a good weekend!

message 39: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 527 comments Oh, I tried pointing out to CS that they really should look into the lucrative UK market, citing the success of Beatrix Potter, JK Rowling and Katie Price as huge UK authors.

"Thank you for your comments, we've passed them up," sort of blah response.
I just hope it gets noted on some level somewhere.

I shall continue my search for UK avenues when I have more energy.

message 40: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Beck (kristina_beck) | 72 comments But you would think they would be a little bit better at this sort of thing by now.

Good luck with your searches and if you discover something - please let us know.