Play Book Tag discussion

Some Luck (Last Hundred Years: A Family Saga, #1)
This topic is about Some Luck
Archives 2016-2017 > Some Luck - Jane Smiley - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1082 comments This first volume of a hundred years in the story of a family covers from 1920 to 1953. Each chapter is a year. Walter Langdon is 25 and his wife, Rosanna, 20 in the first chapter when their first son Frank is born on their farm in Iowa. Over the years 6 children are born and we see each of them from their individual viewpoint. Every year we get a sense of where each child and their parents are. We also follow Eloise, Rosanna's sister. The story was extremely detailed especially at the beginning and slow going. As the years pass and we see each interacting with each other and then the outside world things pick up. I wanted to know where each was going, but I wasn't equally drawn to each family member. There is a family tree at the beginning that helps to keep people straight. I'm not sure if I will seek out the rest of the story.

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments This has been on my TBR since it first came out but has never risen to the top because of many tepid reviews. Your review has finally motivated me to remove it. Too many books out there with the potential to be a 4 or 5 star read for me.