2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > February - Earth Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments February 2017 - Earth Challenge
Duration February 1 through February 28, 2017

Focusing on the planet we live one, here is February's challenge

1. Read a book that has the word “Earth” in the title.

2. Read a book where a character comes out of the Earth (examples: orcs, golems, zombies).

3. Read a book where the Earth is treated as a character (examples: Mother Earth, Tera, Gaia).

4. Read a book where conservation of the Earth is a central theme.

5. Read a book that is specifically about one of the 7 continents more than just a single country.

6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountians, rivers, land).

7. Read a book where something made from the Earth is central to the story (examples: pottery, marble statue, clay houses).

8. Read a book where the characters miss the Earth, either they are in outer space or in heaven/hell.

9. Read a book where one of the ancient elements is in the title of the book: clay, water, fire, or air.

10. Read a book where a modern element or mineral is central to the story (examples: diamonds, salt, pearls).

This challenge was created and will be led by Kristin. Thanks Kristin!

message 2: by Cheri (last edited Mar 01, 2017 07:11PM) (new)

Cheri (jovali2) What a good challenge. Please put me down for 2.

Completed 2/2:

1) Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (5 stars) (Task 2 - a book where a character comes out of the Earth. Here, humans are "mud" who come from earth.)

2) The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin (5 stars) (Task 3 - a book where the Earth is treated as a character (examples: Mother Earth, Tera, Gaia). Father Earth is a character in this book.

message 3: by Toki (new)

Toki | 2 comments Challenge accepted .......i'll go for 6..

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Feb 28, 2017 04:11PM) (new)

Amanda | 526 comments I think I'll go for 5.

5/5 -- CHALLENGE COMPLETED

✔1. Read a book that has the word “Earth” in the title. Journey to the Centre of the Earth
✔2. Read a book where a character comes out of the Earth (examples: orcs, golems, zombies). The Graveyard Book
3. Read a book where the Earth is treated as a character (examples: Mother Earth, Tera, Gaia).
✔5. Read a book that is specifically about one of the 7 continents more than just a single country. Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
✔6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountians, rivers, land). Blind Descent: Surviving Alone and Blind on Mount Everest
7. Read a book where something made from the Earth is central to the story (examples: pottery, marble statue, clay houses).
8. Read a book where the characters miss the Earth, either they are in outer space or in heaven/hell.
✔9. Read a book where one of the ancient elements is in the title of the book: clay, water, fire, or air. When Breath Becomes Air
10. Read a book where a modern element or mineral is central to the story (examples: diamonds, salt, pearls).

message 5: by Taylor C (last edited Feb 15, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Taylor C | 454 comments .
I'm going to go for only 1 for this challenge :)

Completed
1/1

4. Read a book where conservation of the Earth is a central theme. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

message 6: by Mie (last edited Feb 05, 2017 12:53PM) (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Sign me up for 2, please.

COMPLETE ✔️

✅ 6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (river) - Heart of Darkness ⭐️⭐️
✅ 10. Read a book where a modern element or mineral is central to the story (diamonds) - The Man in the Brown Suit ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 7: by Cindee (new)

Cindee | 63 comments I will do 4 of these

message 8: by Anna (last edited Feb 17, 2017 08:16PM) (new)

Anna Glebova (annaglebova) | 1165 comments I'm in for 5.

***COMPLETE***

1. Read a book that has the word “Earth” in the title. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett 02/02/2017 ★★★☆☆

2. Read a book where a character comes out of the Earth (examples: orcs, golems, zombies). The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 02/07/2017 ★★★★★

6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountians, rivers, land). Life of Pi by Yann Martel 02/04/2017 ★★★★☆

9. Read a book where one of the ancient elements is in the title of the book: clay, water, fire, or air. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi 02/01/2017 ★★☆☆☆

10. Read a book where a modern element or mineral is central to the story (examples: diamonds, salt, pearls). Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout 02/18/2017 ★★☆☆☆

5/5

message 9: by DJ (last edited Feb 11, 2017 06:41PM) (new)

DJ I'm going to go for 3!

1/3

1. Read a book that has the word “Earth” in the title. The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory, and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School

message 10: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (immortalraine) | 284 comments Neat idea! I'm going to try for 4

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments I'm in for 2

message 12: by Sam F (last edited Feb 19, 2017 09:55AM) (new)

Sam F | 1034 comments I will try 2 this month.

8. Read a book where the characters miss the Earth, either they are in outer space or in heaven/hell. - Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

message 14: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 11 comments I'm in for 2.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments Looks like it will be a tough one based on the books I have lined up right now. I will aim for 2.

message 16: by Debra (last edited Feb 16, 2017 02:12PM) (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments I'll try for 4
1. Read a book that has the word “Earth” in the title. Salt of the Earth

2. Read a book where a character comes out of the Earth (examples: orcs, golems, zombies). Psych Ward Zombies

6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountians, rivers, land). The Forest Bull

9. Read a book where one of the ancient elements is in the title of the book: clay, water, fire, or air. Like Water for Chocolate

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments I really, really, really want to go for two for this challenge... BUT I better keep it realistic :) Please sign me up for 1

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Kristin wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I really, really, really want to go for two for this challenge... BUT I better keep it realistic :) Please sign me up for 1"

February is a short month! Whatever number of books you ca..."

Exactly my thought! And the books I was considering weren't short quick reads either. In the end, I'd much rather at least finish only one book than have two half-read :)
Now I just have to figure out whether it'll be The Pillars of the Earth or The Golem and the Jinni. Decisions, decisions... :)

message 19: by Jessica (last edited Feb 27, 2017 10:12AM) (new)

Jessica R. | 508 comments Please count me in for three. Thanks!

February Challenge: Earth Challenge

2. Read a book where a character comes out of the Earth (examples: orcs, golems, zombies). - The Distant Hours by Kate Morton (Mud Man)

5. Read a book that is specifically about one of the 7 continents more than just a single country.

6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountains, rivers, land). - Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng (a lake is central to the story)

8. Read a book where the characters miss the Earth, either they are in outer space or in heaven/hell - Death, Dying, and the Afterlife Lessons from World Cultures by Mark Berkson (multiple discussions of religions that believe in the afterlife/purgatory)

9. Read a book where one of the ancient elements is in the title of the book: clay, water, fire, or air.

3/3 - COMPLETED!

message 20: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 238 comments Trying for all 10

February 2017 - Earth Challenge
Duration February 1 through February 28, 2017

Focusing on the planet we live one, here is February's challenge

2. Read a book where a character comes out of the Earth (examples: orcs, golems, zombies).

6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountians, rivers, land).

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Glebova (annaglebova) | 1165 comments Update to message #10.

9. Read a book where one of the ancient elements is in the title of the book: clay, water, fire, or air. When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi 02/01/2017 ★★☆☆☆

1/5

message 22: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Lorenzo | 32 comments voy con 3 en este dasafio

message 23: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushi1) | 98 comments I'm in for 3.

message 24: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 7: 1/2
✅ 6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (river) - Heart of Darkness ⭐️⭐️

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Mie wrote: "Update msg 7: 1/2
✅ 6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (river) - Heart of Darkness ⭐️⭐️"

Wow Mie, that was fast :)

message 26: by Anna (new)

1. Read a book that has the word “Earth” in the title. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett 02/02/2017 ★★★☆☆

2/5

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Anna wrote: "Update to message #10.

✅ 1. Read a book that has the word “Earth” in the title. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett 02/02/2017 ★★★☆☆

2/5"

Hey Anna, I'm really impressed that you already read this if you started it on the 1st :) Did you read this book in 2 days?

message 28: by Anna (new)

6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountians, rivers, land). Life of Pi by Yann Martel 02/04/2017 ★★★★☆

3/5

message 30: by Maddy (last edited Feb 26, 2017 12:45PM) (new)

Maddy | 24 comments I am in for 5 books this month!

How to Date a Dragon - Mother Earth aka Gaia is actually a character in the story (Read Feb 8)

The Body Finder (Read Feb 6) (mountains, woods)

The Dragon in the Stone (read Feb 1) (stone statues)

Fire and Ice (heaven and hell)

Aurum Dragon (Read Feb 6) Aurum - gold

The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting How to Date a Dragon (Flirting with Fangs Trilogy, #2) by Ashlyn Chase The Dragon in the Stone (Naughty Fairy Tales) by Doris O'Connor Aurum Dragon (Dragons of Cadia, #3) by Amelia Jade Fire and Ice by Sara York

message 31: by Rachel (last edited Feb 24, 2017 05:40PM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments I will be updating this post with my progress. I'm very, very bad at remembering to post separately when I complete my goal but I'll try.

6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountians, rivers, land). - Everything I Never Told You. A lake plays a very important role.

8. Read a book where the characters miss the Earth, either they are in outer space or in heaven/hell. -Scarlet. Some of the characters are in space.

10. Read a book where a modern element or mineral is central to the story (examples: diamonds, salt, pearls). - Again, this may be a bit of a stretch but I would say Homegoing. I read it recently, and there is a black stone necklace that is very important. I'm not sure what element/mineral it is exactly, but it is a key story element. There are also several characters who are coal miners.

message 32: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments Put me down for 2 please!

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Rose | 258 comments Could I please try for 2.

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Rose | 258 comments I'll go for 2 please :-)

6. Read a book where a landmark from the Earth that is central to the story (examples: mountians, rivers, land). The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (Bermuda Triangle).

message 35: by Mie (last edited Feb 05, 2017 12:54PM) (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 7: 2/2 - COMPLETE ✔️
✅ 10. Read a book where a modern element or mineral is central to the story (diamonds) - The Man in the Brown Suit ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 36: by Anna (new)

2. Read a book where a character comes out of the Earth (examples: orcs, golems, zombies). The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 02/07/2017 ★★★★★

4/5

message 37: by Sherry (last edited Feb 09, 2017 12:09AM) (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments 2/2 Books Completed ✔

Flameout by Keri Arthur [Read 2/6/2017]

The Girl with the Iron Touch by Kady Cross [Read 2/4/2017

message 38: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments I wasn't planning on participating in this challenge, but as I happen to have read two books that qualify, I'll list them here. =) I'm in for two, thanks!

[2/2]

08. A book in which the characters miss the Earth. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2017.02.07, ★★★★★)
09. A book with one of the ancient elements in the title. The Light Between Oceans (2017.02.09, ★★★☆☆).

message 39: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments update msg 20

message 40: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 09, 2017 04:38PM) (new)

Stephanie Rose | 258 comments Update to message 45- 3. Read a book where the Earth is treated as a character (examples: Mother Earth, Tera, Gaia). The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan. (Gaia)

My aim was 2 but I'll try to get more :-).

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Rose | 258 comments Kristin wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Update to message 45- 3. Read a book where the Earth is treated as a character (examples: Mother Earth, Tera, Gaia). The Battle of the Labyrinth by [author:Rick Rio..."

Yep going to try for more. Thought 2 would be difficult but have been reading the right books at the right time for this challenge :-).

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 526 comments updated message 5
1/5

✔2. Read a book where a character comes out of the Earth (examples: orcs, golems, zombies). The Graveyard Book

message 43: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Johnson | 81 comments I will attempt to read a book for all 10 categories.

message 44: by DJ (new)

DJ Edit message 11:

1. Read a book that has the word “Earth” in the title. The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory, and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School

message 45: by Amanda (new)

2/5

✔5. Read a book that is specifically about one of the 7 continents more than just a single country. Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

message 46: by Taylor C (last edited Feb 15, 2017 07:32AM) (new)

Taylor C | 454 comments .
Completed! :)
It sounds kind of cliche since it was the group read, but it's been on my list for a long time. I'm glad I can say I finally read it :)

update Msg 6

1/1

4. Read a book where conservation of the Earth is a central theme. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

message 47: by Amanda (new)

3/5

✔9. Read a book where one of the ancient elements is in the title of the book: clay, water, fire, or air. When Breath Becomes Air

message 48: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments [3/2] (OM 60)

08. A book in which the characters miss the Earth. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2017.02.07, ★★★★★)
09. A book with one of the ancient elements in the title. The Light Between Oceans (2017.02.09, ★★★☆☆).

Latest addition:
02. A book where a character comes out of the Earth. Rebel of the Sands (2017.02.16, ★★★★☆).

message 49: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments updated msg 2 finished with challenge

message 50: by Anna (new)

***COMPLETE***

10. Read a book where a modern element or mineral is central to the story (examples: diamonds, salt, pearls). Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout 02/18/2017 ★★☆☆☆

5/5

« previous 1