HWOC Block 7 discussion

1/24: Q3 New Book

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy Ruckoldt Full Name
Book Title
Author
Type the first sentence of your book. What was your reaction to the first sentence? (1-2 sentences)
Give three to five sentences about the exposition--what is happening so far? What characters have you met?

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy Ruckoldt Mrs. Ruckoldt
George Orwell
"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." The fact that the clock is striking thirteen shows me that this world is a bit off. Plus, the number 13 has a negative connotation as being unlucky, so I immediately sense that this world is going to be bleak.
So far, the main character, Winston Smith, has been introduced. He is entering his apartment at Victory Mansions, which is ironic since the apartment complex is rundown, smells of "boiled cabbage and old rag mats." Each floor has an oversized portrait of a man's face with the words "Big Brother is Watching You." In his apartment a giant movie screen that can never be shut off watches and listens to his every move and word.
Everything about this world is ironic. The slogans that dominate the society are as follows:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

message 3: by Lucas (new)

Lucas | 12 comments Lucas Fahnoe / Armada, by Ernest Cline

"I was staring out the classroom window and daydreaming of adventure when I spotted the flying saucer." This sentence really captures the readers' attention with the last part of the sentence, the flying saucer. That hook to this story really works because flying saucers are a mystery to humans, and to start a book off like that is very interesting.

message 4: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 8 comments Marianne Schraeder
A million miles away
Lara Avery
In the very first page, we are introduced to Michelle and Kelsey, a pair of twins. Seniors that look exactly the same, but couldn't be more different. Kelsey is popular and loves partying and school, while Michelle is in the military and resents school. Michelle has a new boyfriend (also in the military) and has to drive him to the airport, but on the way home crashes and dies. Now, at this point in the story, Kelsey must learn how to live with herself, and how to deal with her sisters passing. The only who doesn't know is Michelle's boyfriend, and Kelsey will have to bear that news as well.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Behls | 4 comments Erin Behls
Red Queen
Victoria Aveyard
"I hate First Friday. It makes the village crowded, and now, in the heat of high summer, that’s the last thing anyone wants." These first Sentences make me think that the character lives in a place where maybe they are less fortunate and are not a privileged as other people.

So far we met Mare Barrow, who is a teenage girl, family, and her friend, Kilorn Warren. They live in a place called Norta where the quality of life is based on the color of your blood, either Silver or Red. Mare and Kilorn are facing an upcoming conscription into the war and are trying to figure out how to avoid it.

message 6: by Corinne (new)

Corinne K | 11 comments Corinne Krause
Fate of Flames
Sarah Raughey

"The war siren wailed."
Even the first sentence is already just dropping the reader into the action, at the sight of a vicious phantom attack. The main character, Maia, doesn't actually explain what's going on for several pages. However, the exposition, which is scattered throughout the first chapter, reveals that the story takes place in an alternate reality to our own - she lives in New York, but there are strange creatures called phantoms that attack from who-knows-where, and 4 girls with the powers to defeat them.

message 7: by Noah (new)

Noah St. | 8 comments Noah St. John
Firefight
Brandon Sanderson

"'DAVID?' The voice came from my earpiece.
I shook out of my reverie. I’d been staring at Calamity again, but nearly thirteen years had passed since Calamity’s rise." These first few sentences make me think of David, the main character's, curiosity with Calamity, a star. The exposition of this book makes me think that the Reckoners are about to kill a super villain, or an epic. The Reckoners are the group of main characters.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kane | 11 comments Nicole Kane
Thirteen reasons why by Jay Asher
The first line is "Sir?" she repeats. " How soon do you want it to get there?"

This first line shows how the main character is sending a package. The story nos told in first person point of view through a young High schoolers mind. His name is Clay Jensen and he has gotten audio tapes from a girl who just recently killed herself. He is extremely confused because he barely knew he girl. Her name was Hannah Baker and there are 13 audio tapes and each one gives a reason why she killed herself.

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Kim | 12 comments Jonathan Kim
The Hunters
John Flanagan
"Land! I can see land!" This shows a very happy and cheerful mood that the characters have. After being at sea for four days they are relieved to see land. So far, the group of boys that have been tracking a pirate throughout this series( this is the third book) are seeing the first signs of land. After the last book, they have. They have been at sea for days, with one of their crew members injured and close to death. They reach land and tie their prisoner to a tree, but he escapes. They now are tracking the prisoner while also dealing with the crew member who is close to dying.

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian | 12 comments Ian O'

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 10 comments Nathan Helminski
The Red Pyramid
Rick Riordan
"We only have a few hours, so listen carefully."
So far the book sounds intense and the main characters are being hunted or something. It sounds like they are telling a story not actually experiencing it. So far in the story I have met Carter and Sadie who are brother and sister and take turns narrating from their perspective. Their mom is dead and their dad and carter are visiting sadie. Because she lives in London with her dad. So far their dad can do magic with ancient Egyptian stuff and gets attacked. So when the police come their dads brother Amos take them to New York.

message 12: by Nate (new)

Nate Morgan | 12 comments Nate Morgan
Shadow divers
Robert Kurson
Bill Nagle's life changed the day a fisherman sat beside him in a ramshackle bar and told him the mystery lying at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

message 13: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Rolla | 12 comments Bridget Rolla
The Fault in Our Stars
John Green
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, red the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death. This first sentence is very intriguing and makes me want to find out why she is depressed. It tells us that the book is serious and will be very interesting. I have met Hazel Grace and she is the protagonist in this story. She suffers from cancer and is very depressed. We have met her mother that is trying to help her but there is limited options left.

message 14: by Nicholaus (new)

Nicholaus Greazel | 12 comments Nicholaus Greazel
The Winter Over
Matthew Iden
The woman's arms were spread wide, open to the world,as though she were just asking for a hug or starting a snow angel. My first reaction to the book was wondering if this was going to be a family flashback, or maybe a reunion of some sort. It turns out that the woman's name is Sheryl, and she had frozen to death in Antarctica. The main character of this story's name is Cass, and she is part of a research team in Antarctica. So far I have met Cass's boss, Hannratty, and her best friend Biddi. At the base she works at, there is a hierarchy, and it seems like a big part of the story is going to be working to overcome that.

message 15: by QuintheGreat (new)

QuintheGreat | 10 comments Quinten Brown
Elite
Mercedes Lackey

I looked over my shoulder, and fear hit me like a bolt of frozen lightning, because all I could see were teeth.
This starting sentence immediately hurls the reader into an action filled scene, and shows the the character is already in danger. It shows promise.

So far, the protagonist Joyeaux has been introduced, in the middle of a mission to slay a Drakken before it can hurt civilians, or "Cits." And as well as that, some of her comrades, Archer Hammer Steel and Knight, have been introduced. And of course the setting has been explained: They're Hunters, people who go out and get rid of dangerous monsters before they can attack people, on earth after an event called the Disaray summoned thousands of mythical beasts into the world.

message 16: by Abby (new)

Abby Wiltse | 11 comments Abby wiltse
Thirteen Reasons Why
Jay Asher
"A shoebox-sized package is propped against the front door at an angle." This made me interested because I really wanted to know what was in the box.
In the exposition we learn that Clay Jensen is part of the reason why Hannah Baker killed herself. He is one of many. Justin, another one of the reasons, was Hannah's first kiss. Clay is in the middle of their story.

message 17: by Kamil (new)

Kamil Podraza | 11 comments Kamil Podraza
Fake ID
"This is how you get your ass kicked."
The fact that the story starts off in that kind of way you can tell this would be full of fights and other similar things. Right after that sentence the author explains that he got beat up because of bumping into "the wrong girl". The main character Nick has just moved to a new high school. In the first hour he gets into a fight. More like he was jumped in the boys locker room. After the fight a skinny kid named Eli helped him out and told him that he was his student leader and that he will show Nick around. Nick doesn't pay attention because the girl that he bumped into was stunning and he started liking her and couldn't stop thinking about her. By the end of the chapter the girl and Eli started flicking each other off. Nick finds out that they're brother and sister.

message 18: by Jose (new)

Jose Aleman | 10 comments Jose Aleman
The Young Elites
Marie Lu
"I'm going to die tomorrow morning." This is a bit sudden but immediately I know it is an execution because it is dated. It gives me the impression the character is rebellious.
The main character, Adelina Amouteru, lives with her sister Violetta and her father, her mother passed when their family contracted the fever and Adelina was marked. Which means she has changed, she lost an eye and her hair turned silver now her father is humiliated that his family is marked and being a merchant is much harder because having a malfetto in your family shames it.

message 19: by Sean (last edited Jan 24, 2017 09:55AM) (new)

Sean Nolan | 11 comments Sean Nolan
The Rains
Gregg Hurwitz
"It was past midnight." My reaction to this is that why is somebody up in the middle of the night? There must be something wrong or someone doing something that they are not supposed to do.
So far we have only met Chance Rain, Patrick, and the McCafferty family. The main plot starts to unfold when Hank McCaffery notices something weird happening on his farm. He goes outside and is like possessed or something with his body looking and feeling different. The other characters are of witness to this. Thats all, but all we know is something strange is going on.

message 20: by Ulises (new)

Ulises Medina | 11 comments Ulises Medina
The Rig
Joe Doucie
"The Sikorsky SH-60 Seahawk flew low over the ocean, low enough that a cool mist splashed William Drake in the face through the open bay doors." This gave me enough information to understand that the main character, William Drake, in is some helicopter over the ocean. It also told me they were going low and that he is being taken to some place with military involvement based on the helicopter taken.
So far it has told us that "The Rig" is actually some sort of prison, or rehabilitation center, miles away from land. It is a place where criminals are sent, the worst of the worst, and there is no escape. William Drake is being shown how things will be handled and the jobs they will be given for their first month so far. And, though Drake has escaped many prisons before, the Warden believes this place is one he will not escape.

message 21: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Robinson | 11 comments Quinn Robinson
No Easy Way Out
Dayna Lorentz
"It was like reading the cast list for a twisted new reality show-Mall Quarantine: Shop 'Til You Drop . . . Dead." The twisted statement suggested that there is something inhumane about the situation. Something to do with dead bodies a large secret.
This is the second book in the trilogy and currently the government employees and people in hazmat suits have fled the building. There are a free deaths in which the dead bodies where stored in a pancake freezer. Lexi's mom is now in charge of the mall and is doing her best to calm the masses. Lexi is one of the teens stuck in the mall and her mother is a senator. Marco, Ryan, and Shay tried to escape but Shay got sick and the other two got caught.

message 22: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Powell | 11 comments Adrienne Powell
Predictably Irrational
Dan Ariely
"I have been told by many people that I have an unusual way of looking at the world"

This sentence gives an initial feeling to the reader that Dan is a little full of himself. As I continued to read it got wayyyyy better.

So far the book started of extremely well. The author, Dan, gives us his backstory of being badly burned in a terrorist attack and how his bandages had to be ripped off and changed daily. This is what spiked his interest in psychology. He wanted to learn how to help burn patients in the future and find a new way to treat people who have been badly burned. This book is a nonfiction and will include (as the author explained) what he learned from psychology and his experiments on human decision making.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ingemunson | 11 comments Sarah Ingemunson
P.S. I Still Love You
Jenny Han
"Kitty's been a little complainer all morning, and I suspect both Margot and Daddy are suffering from New Year's Eve hangovers". My initial reaction was that Kitty, Margot and their father didn't have a very good night, but then I think about what Lara Jean is feeling because she does not include herself in this first sentence.
So far Lara Jean, Kitty and Margot have gone to their Korean side of family for New Year's Day. Here we meet Haven who is their cousin who thinks that she is above everyone. On the way back, Lara Jean goes to talk to Peter. They fight for a little bit but then get back together. She and Peter go on their first official date, but a few days later a video gets leaked of Lara Jean and Peter in a hot tub.

message 24: by Ciara (new)

Ciara O'Leary | 12 comments Ciara O'Leary
These Shallow Graves
Jennifer Donnelly
"Josephine Montfort stared at the newly mounted grave in front of her and the wooden cross marking it."
The beginning of the book starts as a prologue to our book. After this prologue, we learn Josephine Montfort is an aristocrat in New York City in 1890, whose father had just passed away under mysterious circumstances. I think the author chose this sentence as the first sentence of the book because it offers a sharp contrast from what she's used to, a life of luxury. It's a jarring image and situation that you wouldn't think an aristocrat would be in, capturing your attention for the story. It also sets the mood of the book, a dark, secretive atmosphere that we can infer will be apart of the plot.

message 25: by Lucas (new)

Lucas | 12 comments (Extension of comment)

The main character of the book is sitting in class, when he notices a flying silver object in the sky. As it gets closer, he notices it looks like a starship from a videogame he plays. In class, he's with his 2 best friends but also his mortal enemy and his ex-girlfriend. He gets involved in a conflict between his mortal enemy and another student who's getting bullied by his enemy.

message 26: by Nate (new)

Nate Morgan | 12 comments I at first thought the fisherman was talking by a fish. Then I realized the they were talking about treasure. I also thought BIll was a weird.

message 27: by Ian (new)

Ian | 12 comments Ian O'Malley
Scavenger of Souls
Joshua David Bell

"Aleka looked over the land and frowned" this sentence shows this story is a depressing story that takes place in a dystopian setting.

The story takes place in a post apocalyptic and dystopian setting. They are trying to get a cure for the disease that is given from the monsters lurking around. The main characters are Aleka and his mom, Nekane, soon, Tryis, and an old woman.

message 28: by Miguel (new)

Miguel Luna | 12 comments Miguel Luna
Calamity
Brandon Sanderson
"I've witnessed the fearsome depths." When I saw this sentence I wondered if he was talking about the time he almost drowned in Babilar or if he is talking about all the dark thinks he has seen throughout his journey with the Reckoners. Also i think it was dramatic and summed up well what the journey has been like. So far in the story, it has been revealed that David, Megan, Mizzy, Abraham, and Cody are the last remaining Reckoners and Tia has gone missing and is presumed dead. Also, since she he time Prof turned, he has attacked Newcago and Babylon Restored numerous times. Currently, the Reckoners are completely broke and are out of members and resources and are making a final resort at raiding the Nighthawk Factory in order to sell what they earn to continue their operations.

message 29: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Rolla | 12 comments Bridget Rolla
Half a Life
Darin Strauss
"Half my life ago, I killed a girl."
When I read this sentence I immediately thought that this was going to be a intriguing book. It makes me want to keep reading to find out what happened. We have only met the narrator and was told about the girl Celine. Celine was the one that was murdered by the narrator which is yet to be named. It was May 1988 when the story started and the explanation about how Celine was hit by a car was said.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 12 comments Sarah Webb
Thinner
By:Stephen King
" 'Thinner' the old gypsy man with the rotting nose whispers to William Halleck as Halleck and his wife , Heidi, come out of the court house."
I think this first line is very mysterious and intruding. So far we have met William Halleck, a very overweight man with a normal life. His wife Heidi smokes about a pack and a half of cigarettes a day and makes him all the food he needs. Linda, his daughter is teased sometimes and just got into cheerleading. I'm excited for this book, I think it's going to be really good, like all of Stephen kings books.