Historical Romance Book Club discussion

The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert, #1)
This topic is about The Black Lyon
Gaol/BOTM > BOTM February 15 to 28, 2017 - The Black Lyon (Beauty and the Beast)

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Discussion thread for February 15 to 28 , 2017 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions)

Happy reading:)

The Black Lyon
The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert, #1) by Jude Deveraux

Darkly handsome and rich beyond imagining, the bold English conqueror was called Lyon for his-lion like fierceness. He had no match among enemies, or women ... until he met Lyonene, the green-eyed beauty whose fiery spirit matched his own. Through a whirlwind romance and stormy marriage, she endured every peril to be by his side... until jealousy and vicious lies drove her across the Irish Sea and into grave danger. One man could save her -- only the fierce Black Lyon had the courage to destroy the ruthless plot that had driven them apart and threatened the bond of love they had vowed could never be broken.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments This is a bodice ripper ladies, and not a mild one like the two titles that I reccoed as "mild" bodice rippers to those of you doing the year-long "conquer historical romance challenge.

The ladies in the bodice ripper group might not think this as hard-core as some other titles, but it is a bodice ripper.

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "This is a bodice ripper ladies, and not a mild one like the two titles that I reccoed as "mild" bodice rippers to those of you doing the year-long "conquer historical romance challenge.

The ladies..."

I was wondering which book to read for bodice ripper subgenre and The Black Lyon was on my tbr for a long time. Thank you Andrea for that info.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Martha,

This has been on my TBR pile for a while too.

What's more, I've investigated and the eBook has not been altered from the original text to bring it in line with 21st C sensibilities!

message 5: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "This is a bodice ripper ladies, and not a mild one like the two titles that I reccoed as "mild" bodice rippers to those of you doing the year-long "conquer historical romance challenge.

The ladies..."

Oh thank you for the heads up! I will try this for that category then! I'm nervous but excited! I love Beauty and the Beast.

message 6: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Oh no! I was reading review and there is rape in it. (apparently in the first 70ish pages so I don't know if that's too big of a spoiler for some of you. If it is, I'm sorry and I will try and be more careful in the future.) I don't think this book and I will get along.

Debbie DiFiore (dbld) | 4 comments I read this years ago but i keep thinking it had cheating in it which didnt use to bother me but now it does. I want to reread it but i am nervous. Is there cheating!??

message 8: by Gio (new) - added it

Gio Listmaker  (giohumanistlistmaker) | 70 comments Debbie wrote: "I read this years ago but i keep thinking it had cheating in it which didnt use to bother me but now it does. I want to reread it but i am nervous. Is there cheating!??"

Giselle wrote: "Oh no! I was reading review and there is rape in it. (apparently in the first 70ish pages so I don't know if that's too big of a spoiler for some of you. If it is, I'm sorry and I will try and be m..."

Those are my biggest NOOOsss for a book. Thanks for the heads up.

Debbie DiFiore (dbld) | 4 comments Omg. I have it in my library in paperback but i just ordered it on Kindle. I am going in. Pray for me. Lol. Okay pray for my husband. He is the one i punish for cheating books.

Amazon cancelled my order yesterday. So I placed an order with another store. I have to wait for one more week to get my book:(

message 11: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Feb 09, 2017 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Priya wrote: "Amazon cancelled my order yesterday. So I placed an order with another store. I have to wait for one more week to get my book:("

I'm surprised d that Amazon would cancel.

Once they cancelled a pro order that I placed in the kindle store bec by the time they billed my cradit card, it had expired and I forgot to enter my new credit card info.

Edit: I meant pre order, not pro order.

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Priya wrote: "Amazon cancelled my order yesterday. So I placed an order with another store. I have to wait for one more week to get my book:("

I'm surprised d that Amazon would cancel.

Once they ..."

A few books aren't available to us here. Amazon usually ships it from US. Very rarely (in case of those items with limited availability/ older editions), they might cancel the order. This is my second order to get cancelled.

message 13: by Peaktopeak (new)

Peaktopeak | 18 comments Did anyone read it? Like it? When I saw the name Ranulf - I thought this is old school! LOL

Hee. I think I'll be in the minority, but I liked it. When they were in love - it was great. They were so cute and I liked the way she went for it. I thought the end drug on and there were some unneeded twists, but on the whole it was a fun book for me.

Oh and no cheating.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Peak,

I'm off of work until Tuesday and I plan to start this while I'm on my "staycation" of reading.

I probably won't finish it while I'm at home, but I'll at least start reading.

message 15: by Peaktopeak (new)

Peaktopeak | 18 comments @Andrea - Cool! A 'staycation' of reading sounds awesome!

I also wanted to mention that it didn't really succeed as a Fairy Tale Retelling for me. I mean I see that he was dark and in pain and therefore the Beast and she was definitely a Beauty. But it never really evoked Fairy Tale for me. It felt like more of just a romance (many of which quite often use those elements anyway) to me. I'm not complaining, I was just remembering we had a theme.

As far as a Retelling, Eloisa James' When Beauty tamed the Beast did better (for me).

So it makes me curious if the intent for Black Lyon was to be a retelling or people just saw common themes and identified it as such. Anyone know?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Peak,

Hmm, not really beauty/beast retelling?

I'll put that out of my thought when read and just look at it as old HR then, instead of beauty/beast retelling.

Mariana | 2257 comments I just picked up from the library and about to start. How far is everyone else?

From the synopsis, it doesn't seem like a Beauty and the Beast retelling; but I'm giving it a shot.

By the way, what defines a "Bodice-ripper"?

Mariana | 2257 comments I've read the first four chapters thus far. It is a bit slow, but otherwise I like it. There are two things that bother me:
1) Ranulf is handsome. The Beast is supposed to be ugly.
2) I do not look forward to the rape, jealousy, and unhappiness that is apparently coming.

message 19: by Priya (last edited Feb 20, 2017 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana wrote: "I've read the first four chapters thus far. It is a bit slow, but otherwise I like it. There are two things that bother me:
1) Ranulf is handsome. The Beast is supposed to be ugly.
2) I do not look..."

I am at Chapter 6. I agree with you Mariana. Ranulf is handsome except for the scar on his cheek. His grumpiness is selectively directed at few people. Till now he didnt sound like our regular beast. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Priya (last edited Feb 28, 2017 11:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished reading. (view spoiler)
I liked Lyonene and her sassiness ( except in the part with Amicia).

message 21: by Peaktopeak (new)

Peaktopeak | 18 comments I know, right?! The ending just took forever and almost blew the whole book for me! Lyonene was way more uncertain than I thought.

Mariana | 2257 comments I finished and agree with the slow comments.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I've started reading.

I'm loving the historical detail and vocabulary.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ok everyone (who read this!), I'm at 75% and I need to be "talked down off of the ledge" of jumping into the chasm of CNF-land.

Lyonene (view spoiler)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Ok everyone (who read this!), I'm at 75% and I need to be "talked down off of the ledge" of jumping into the chasm of CNF-land.

Lyonene [spoilers removed]"

You reached the boring part of the novel. But I think you would like to read what the Black Lyon had to do to get his Lyonene back. That part of the book is funny. There is only 25% left. Don't jump off the ledge now:)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Thanks Priya! For giving me something to think about as I read the "stupid" part!

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Thanks Priya! For giving me something to think about as I read the "stupid" part!"

I will wait to read what you thought of the ending.

message 28: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Feb 28, 2017 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I will finish this tomorrow (Wednesday).

I had hoped to finish this before I go to sleep, but I can't keep my eyes open.

message 29: by Mariana (last edited Feb 28, 2017 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2257 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Thanks Priya! For giving me something to think about as I read the "stupid" part!"

I know. My update at this stage was "Lyonene is sooo stupid!"

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Debbie wrote: "I read this years ago but i keep thinking it had cheating in it which didnt use to bother me but now it does. I want to reread it but i am nervous. Is there cheating!??"

(view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I finished.

Lyonene gave me some anxious moments and I was thinking of abandoning the book.

Ranulf sounds handsome to me rather than beastly, but in keeping with the standards of the time period, thin, blond Earl of Dacre was considered handsome man.

I think it was cute when R was telling L that she is the ONLY woman who finds him handsome beyond his wealth.

Lyonene, apparently was buried prior to her marriage, at her father's property and hadn't been around anywhere or been told that thin, blond men are the real hotties.

:)

message 32: by Mariana (last edited Mar 01, 2017 04:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2257 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I finished.

Lyonene gave me some anxious moments and I was thinking of abandoning the book.

Ranulf sounds handsome to me rather than beastly, but in keeping with the standards of the time period,..."

Did you like it enough to read the second book? My library has The Duchess, and I think I am going to go for it. I do find it odd that the next is set in 1883.

message 33: by Mariana (last edited Mar 01, 2017 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2257 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Debbie wrote: "I read this years ago but i keep thinking it had cheating in it which didnt use to bother me but now it does. I want to reread it but i am nervous. Is there cheating!??"

[spoilers r..."

(view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Gee Mariana!

The is very weird that the next installment of the series takes place in the 19 C?!?!

Why did she bother trying to make "The Duchess" the next installment? Why not start another series using "The Duchess," and make "The Black Lyon" a stand alone?

Very silly.

I don't own "The Duchess." I already owned tBL.

I was all set to read another Medieval, perhaps with R and L son.

I'll inquire if JD has any other medieval HR titles.

This is very disappointing.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I forgot (view spoiler)

Mariana | 2257 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I forgot that he was willing with the dancer (Lyonene as dancer). I was just thinking of Amica.

Pretending to be someone else in trying to provoke them into doing something (sex acts) to see if s..."

(view spoiler)

Mariana | 2257 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Gee Mariana!

The is very weird that the next installment of the series takes place in the 19 C?!?!

Why did she bother trying to make "The Duchess" the next installment? Why not start another seri..."

Yeah, let me know if you find a medieval to read. I put this down as a bodice ripper, so now I need 2 medieval for my Year Long Challenge.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I'll let you know about the Medieval.

I'll poke around and see if JD has written others.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana wrote: "Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I forgot that he was willing with the dancer (Lyonene as dancer). I was just thinking of Amica.

Pretending to be someone else in tryin..."

I think you are right. He realized (view spoiler)

When I saw that this is the first book in Montgomery/Taggert series, I assumed the second book would be Montgomery's (R&L's son) story. But I am disappointed to find it is not so and the rest of the series is not set in medieval period.

The Maiden. This book by JD is set in 1299 England.

message 41: by Peaktopeak (new)

Peaktopeak | 18 comments
I guess I just felt like she did not really want to do it in the first place.

On the "new dancer", I agree with this. I enjoyed the fact that she went on the trip in disguise just to be near him and try and figure things out, but I felt the older woman pushed her into this part. And really, since we are in a romance, we knew he was only so attracted to the "new dancer" because it was Lyonene ;-)

On her valuing him beyond his wealth wasn't there also a concern about his hairiness? Dark when blond was the fashion and hairy instead of groomed is what I remember.

Love reading everyone else's take!