Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM February 1 to 14, 2017 - Seven nights in a Rogue's bed (Beauty and the Beast)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Discussion thread for February 1 to 14, 2017 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions)

Happy reading:)

Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed
Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1) by Anna Campbell

Will a week of seduction...

Desperate to save her sister's life, Sidonie Forsythe has agreed to submit herself to a terrible fate: Beyond the foreboding walls of Castle Craven, a notorious, hideously scarred scoundrel will take her virtue over the course of seven sinful nights. Yet instead of a monster, she encounters a man like no other. And during this week, she comes to care for Jonas Merrick in ways that defy all logic—even as a dark secret she carries threatens them both.

...Spark a lifetime of passionate surrender?

Ruthless loner Jonas knows exactly who he is. Should he forget, even for a moment, the curse he bears, a mere glance in the mirror serves as an agonizing reminder. So when the lovely Sidonie turns up on his doorstep, her seduction is an even more delicious prospect than he originally planned. But the hardened outcast is soon moved by her innocent beauty, sharp wit, and surprising courage. Now as dangerous enemies gather at the gate to destroy them, can their new, fragile love survive?

message 2: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments I just started and am I the only one who finds this ridiculously creepy and rapey? Like he literally would rape her sister and this is the guy we're supposed to be rooting for? Gross. I love fairytale retellings but I don't think this one will work for me... I'll keep trying for now though.

message 3: by Al George , Mod (new)

Al George  (georgieme) | 1575 comments Mod
Giselle wrote: "I just started and am I the only one who finds this ridiculously creepy and rapey? Like he literally would rape her sister and this is the guy we're supposed to be rooting for? Gross. I love fairyt..."
I'm trying to listen to this on audio and failing miserably. The hero is not doing it for me.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments The cover is pretty

message 5: by Al George , Mod (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "The cover is pretty"

Now, that is being very positive.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Ok, so I started this last night and I'm up to chapter 8. I gotta say, I'm not really enjoying this. I think most of it is the premise though. (view spoiler) WTF??? Who does that? Any of that? That makes me instantly dislike all of the people involved, which is quite a feat. (view spoiler).
Sorry for the rant ^^ But I'm not really enjoying this. I will keep reading, hoping this will all make sense at some point, but...

On the bright side, I do like the characterization. Despite from the pathetic pettiness, I like the hero's issues with his "disfigurement" (also, really, it's a few scars on his face as far as I gathered. How is that disfigured? He may not be a pretty sight, but... And I'm digressing again ^^ If I got it wrong, someone please correct me), and I think the mirror thing (view spoiler) is interesting. I think if it hadn't been for the aforementioned ludicrous premise, I would've really liked to get to know him. At least I felt that way until the insta-lust struck *rolls eyes* Really, because just one taste of this innocent virgin, et voila!, he's in lust? 'Cause all her shrinking away and going completely rigid every time she remembers why she's there must be oh so sexy...
Again. Sorry for the rant. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have issues with the premise ^^

message 7: by Al George , Mod (last edited Jan 29, 2017 10:41AM) (new)

Andrea wrote: "Ok, so I started this last night and I'm up to chapter 8. I gotta say, I'm not really enjoying this. I think most of it is the premise though. [spoilers removed] WTF??? Who does that? Any of that? ..."

OMG I loved your rant. Sing it, sister. I am so there with you. I started listening to the book since neither of my libraries had it in print or e-book but one did have audio. It's painful. Really fricking painful. I'm gonna give it a try again while I do dishes and some general spring cleaning today but if it's not caught my interest in an hour, I am done.

a) (view spoiler) sister
b) semi-disfigured
c) insta everything
d) possible idiot heroine or perhaps I need to listen more / read further. I'm only as far as (view spoiler)

Don't let me ruin this for the rest of you. I fear this should have been read vs listened to.

message 8: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Oh my gosh you guys are awesome! I've finished and I'll leave my thoughts when I'm at my computer later today. Let's just say I wasn't a fan.

message 9: by Andrea (last edited Jan 29, 2017 11:12AM) (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Ally wrote: " It's painful. Really fricking painful..."

Oh thank God I'm not alone!!!

Also, why is he ever so beastly? I mean. He's whiny and annoying with his never-ending lust-stricken rants about how much he needs her and how evil his cousin is and how bad his life is (I may be exaggerating, but that's what it feels like to me ^^). But he's behaving very admirably so far (as far as you can call keeping it in his pants no matter how much he neeeeeeds the woman who keeps running away from him because her own case of insta-lust is just so very confusing vor her admirably), but really, what has he done so far that's beastly? Except, of course, the oh so admirable attempt to get his nemesis' wife pregnant so he can have the ultimate revenge by cuckolding his cousin. And really, that is just childish and idiotic... Oh look at that. Ranting. Again. Sorry ^^

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Giselle wrote: "Let's just say I wasn't a fan."

Yay! At least we're not alone in not loving this ^^ The majority of people from my friends list really liked this, and I hate being the only one not loving something...

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Alrighty, I'm not loving the way the heroine is developing. I LOATHE the old "healed by the heroine's pure love" crap, I dislike the fact that she doesn't think his feelings are valid (view spoiler), and this whole "I want him. But I can't have him. But I want him. Oh but I'm keeping something big from him and he's going to hate me when he finds out. Better make out with him some more before I tell him, then" is getting on my nerves :(

message 12: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Andrea wrote: "Alrighty, I'm not loving the way the heroine is developing. I LOATHE the old "healed by the heroine's pure love" crap, I dislike the fact that she doesn't think his feelings are valid [spoilers rem..."

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Giselle wrote: "..."

I think something went wrong with your post? I don't see any text :(

message 14: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Alrighty, I'm not loving the way the heroine is developing. I LOATHE the old "healed by the heroine's pure love" crap, I dislike the fact that she doesn't think his feelings are valid [spoilers rem..."

Oh my god! this seems like torture! It's exactly what I hate; the " I love him but can't have him" thing. Too much drama. Good luck finishing it!

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Lacey wrote: "Good luck finishing it..."

I honestly don't see that happening. She just said "no", "stop this", and "please leave" (but of course she didn't mean those words...). He started making out with her. She freaked (again), yelled something about being "so stupid", and ran out into a thunderstorm.

I kid you not.

message 16: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Lacey wrote: "Good luck finishing it..."

I honestly don't see that happening. She just said "no", "stop this", and "please leave" (but of course she didn't mean those words...). He started making ..."

Oh god... she's gonna keep running until the end, isn't she? *sigh* you should stop reading it for now and maybe you'll want to read again once you've cooled down...or maybe you should just give it up.

message 17: by Al George , Mod (new)

Andrea wrote: "Lacey wrote: "Good luck finishing it..."

I honestly don't see that happening. She just said "no", "stop this", and "please leave" (but of course she didn't mean those words...). He started making ..."

I'm another few hours in to listening to the book. Still going because everyone else seems to love it. Well that's everyone except those of us having a b!tchfest here. Thus far, it's more cheesy than annoying but you guys are further in to it than i. I just found out (view spoiler) and since I'm off to take a nap to sleep of last night's excess, that's as far as i will get for now.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Ally wrote: "and since I'm off to take a nap to sleep of last night's excess, that's as far as i will get for now. ..."

That's probably for the best ^^ in case you want to revisit that whole Big Secret situation: (view spoiler)
I hope you'll keep listening so we can continue our b!tchfest ;)

message 19: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Andrea wrote: "Giselle wrote: "..."

I think something went wrong with your post? I don't see any text :("

That's probably because of me using the goodreads app. I should know better than this by now!! haha. I was basically laughing at what you said because it was perfect!

message 20: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Okay. So some of my thoughts: Super rapey premise. Like really not okay. And he even thinks to himself about how he would have raped her sister. Yuck!! I'm sorry but I wouldn't want to sleep with a guy who wanted to rape my sister. Instead I would have cut his balls off. But whatever. (view spoiler) So all that completely destroyed the book for me and I gave it 1 star!

I also wanted to touch on the Beauty and the Beast part quickly! Which is the whole reason for the book being on my TBR in the first place. I adore fairytale retellings and they're actually how I got into romance in the first place through Eloisa James' A Kiss at Midnight. I adore that series for the most part (don't even get me started on my hate for The Ugly Duchess) and that's because they are creative and lovely! I didn't find any of this book creative or lovely. It wasn't particularly unique or interesting in it's aspects. It felt very bland to me. And as someone who has read over 30 fairytale retellings in the past year I was just really disappointed. I do recommend When Beauty Tamed the Beast though because it's literally House MD.

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments I am SO glad I'm not the only one this books makes angry ^^ As for what you said

Giselle wrote: "Super rapey premise. Like really not okay. And he even thinks to himself about how he would have raped her sister. Yuck!! I'm sorry but I wouldn't want to sleep with a..."

Well in all fairness, the sister readily agreed to the week of debauchery. No one forced her to agree to this (at least not that I remember). And given how he treats the "heroine", I can't really imagine he would force her. Not that that makes it less disgusting but it didn't think it was rape-y. Just. Petty and pathetic (on his part), despicable (on botch their parts), and not the best way to make me care about what happens to either of them...

And the drama (the insta-everything and running away, the screeching "no" while meaning "take me now"....) wasn't really very much fun for me either...

I'm only halfway through (chapter 16), but honestly, this whole "now I'm seducing you" thing just did not work for me. At all. It's partly that just a few hours ago the ninnyhead ran out into a storm because he touched her, and now I'm supposed to believe she really trusts him enough to sleep with him? Because he did one nice thing for her (view spoiler)? I shudder to think what the idiots will do next. I think at this point it's safe to say I won't enjoy it...

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Giselle wrote: "I also wanted to touch on the Beauty and the Beast part quickly! ..."

I agree, this didn't have much to do with it. This was just a scarred and hurt little man who acted out. How the man is a beast, I don't know. Yes, he has scars on his face, big whoop. But other than that? I guess she was pretty much the clichéd beauty who heals the "beast" by loving him and all that crap, but...

And I agree, When Beauty Tamed the Beast was so adorable (well except for the ending maybe, I thought that was overdone just a tiny little bit...) ^^

message 23: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Andrea wrote: "I am SO glad I'm not the only one this books makes angry ^^ As for what you said

Giselle wrote: "Super rapey premise. Like really not okay. And he even thinks to himself about how he would have ra..."

Oh dear. I'm just laughing at your last paragraph. "The ninnyhead ran out into a storm" yes! I am going to start calling them ninnyheads now. That's another thing that I find hard to believe in romances in general. That they know this person for less than a week always end up sleeping with them. I just find it hard to believe. And it's not even where they're in a society where being a virgin is often considered bad or a laughing stock. They live in a time when losing your virginity is something super scandalous and can ruin your whole life but they all seem completely fine with it in about 2 days.

Anyway, I see your points but I really can't forgive him at all. And yeah, the sister is horrible. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Andrea wrote: "I agree, this didn't have much to do with it. This was just a scarred and hurt little man who acted out. How t..."

(I wish I had emojis on here because I would be laugh-crying so hard right now!) "A scarred and hurt little man who acted out." Life. That was a beautiful way to describe him. I don't think he was beastly enough either. He was just annoying. He wasn't even that grouchy or anything. I recently read both beauty and the beast retellings by Robin Mckinley (Rose Daughter and Beauty) and they were both so delightful! I like when the beast isn't a horrible person. But he still has to be perceived as that which can be hard but I think Robin and Eloisa James did a wonderful job at that. I love how sarcastic and sassy the guy from When Beauty Tamed the Beast was!

And speaking of When Beauty Tamed the Beast... Oh my gosh yes! It's so adorable! But the end did lose me a little. I would say that "a tiny bit" doesn't describe how ridiculous the ending gets. But it's so delightful that I forgave it. The Beast is also a bit to possessive for my taste as well in that book.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Giselle wrote: ". So I guess that was my one positive thing to say about the book..."

I agree. I wonder how that situation will be resolved. And if it's enough to keep me reading...

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Giselle wrote: "I love how sarcastic and sassy the guy from When Beauty Tamed the Beast was!..."

Yes! Just like House. Who, surprise, I totally love :D I had so much fun reading about Piers and his three Ducklings. Strangely enough, I don't really remember her. Only that ridiculous situation she finds herself in at the end. But I agree, given the rest of the book, that was okay.

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Ok. I'm at chapter 20 now. And I am not liking what I'm reading. I don't care that this has veered completely off course and all they do is have sex. Fine. Whatever. But his issues and the way they are dealt with?!?! (view spoiler)

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Okay, and somehow my cellphone cut me off mit-rand and deleted parts of it. Don't know why...
Basically I was saying that this is feeling really rapey, but given how he ignored every single "no, please don't, please leave" I'm finding it hard to care when the situation is reversed...

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Giselle wrote: "Seriously. COMMUNICATION PEOPLE!! IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..."

Oh how I agree ^^ Especially right now. If they would both just deal with their issues and tell the other one what was bothering them...

message 30: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2251 comments I love reading all the opinions and rants. I think this book was a great group read choice. I'm going to come back and read all the spoilers after I finish listening to the story.

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Mariana wrote: "I love reading all the opinions and rants. I think this book was a great group read choice. I'm going to come back and read all the spoilers after I finish listening to the story."

I hope you're part of the majority and end up loving this :) Ally and I both quit halfway through, I'm afraid to say...

message 32: by Al George , Mod (new)

Mariana wrote: "I love reading all the opinions and rants. I think this book was a great group read choice. I'm going to come back and read all the spoilers after I finish listening to the story."

Andrea wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I love reading all the opinions and rants. I think this book was a great group read choice. I'm going to come back and read all the spoilers after I finish listening to the story."
..."
This really was a great book to choose. Any time s book can create those much discussion and difference of opinion, that is s good thing. It means we stretch our way of thinking.