Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Other social media

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments Does anyone use any other social media to talk about books? For example, a book Tumblr, etc. I recently got back into using twitter and I might start tweeting about books I'm reading as I get through them (not that anyone is reading my twitter but oh well apparently that's how Twitter is supposed to be done lol).

Anyone do anything like that?

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I used to use Twitter and Tumblr, but I gave up on both. I even cancelled my Twitter account. Now I have two blogs (one for reviews and similar, the other one for quotes) and a Facebook page. They are in Italian, otherwise I would have given you the links.

message 3: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 720 comments I am on Twitter and Instagram but I don't actually tweet very much. I am also finding Twitter a bit of a scary place these days...

I love Instagrams for the beautiful pics - quite a number of gorgeous bookstagrams; I try to do some too though usually never really quite manage it lol

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I'm on twitter, Instagram, and Litsy. All three places for book/blog related stuff. I also have a Facebook page but don't really discuss books there

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Jen wrote: "I'm on twitter, Instagram, and Litsy. All three places for book/blog related stuff. I also have a Facebook page but don't really discuss books there"

who are you on Litsy? I would follow.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Kristel wrote: "Jen wrote: "I'm on twitter, Instagram, and Litsy. All three places for book/blog related stuff. I also have a Facebook page but don't really discuss books there"

who are you on Litsy? I would follow."

JenP :)

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6438 comments I'm on Facebook, but only do selected reading posts - - like if I've read a five star book I really want to share and also end of the year posts about favorites. Things like that.

message 8: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments I use FB only so far as I publish my Goodread reviews on there automatically, but otherwise, I don't really track any reading related things there.

What kinds of things do you post on IG related to books? Like the books you're currently reading or...?

message 9: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Kristel,

I'm on Litsy. My name is...Blueberry :) (I'm consistent).
What's your name?

message 10: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments I used to have a book blog but I stopped blogging this year because it was too much of a chore for me. I do talk about books on Twitter and Instagram, though. I did use Litsy for a while but I got tired of some of its features/bugs.

message 11: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Blueberry I think I already follow you. I am Kristelh and I am not very active. I haven't figured it out very well.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 24, 2017 12:18PM) (new)

The only other social media I ever post anything book related is on Facebook and that is a rarity. I am not even very active on Facebook anymore, tried Instagram in the past but didn't enjoy it so deleted my account and (especially now) have no interest in Twitter. At least when posting on Goodreads, I am assuming we all have a shared love of reading and a few individuals may be interested in or helped by my opinions.

It seems so many online social platforms are time consuming, draining and sometimes outright depressing or hurtful with all the remarks, reposts and opinions being presented. I'd rather spend that same time reading a book or doing something else I enjoy.

message 13: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 720 comments Flo wrote: "What kinds of things do you post on IG related to books? Like the books you're currently reading or...? "

yep, currently reading or just bought or highly anticipating or even whatever you've just finished and loved/hated or even just to share a particular quote etc. Some people are even really really creative with their photos and it's lovely just to scroll through the bookstagrams :)

message 14: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments All my reviews are shared to Facebook, but I do that via LibraryThing, where I am also active.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8538 comments This is it for me. My only social media outlet. I don't even have a Facebook page. Nada. And it's you guys and that's it.

message 16: by Barbara M (last edited Jan 24, 2017 05:09PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2224 comments Anita wrote: "I'm on Facebook, but only do selected reading posts - - like if I've read a five star book I really want to share and also end of the year posts about favorites. Things like that."

,Me too. That's it, only for book posts I really like' since no other friends post book reviews.

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1197 comments Kristel wrote: "Blueberry I think I already follow you. I am Kristelh and I am not very active. I haven't figured it out very well."

I'm on Litsy, too- as tstan. I'm also trying to figure it out.

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Tracy wrote: "Kristel wrote: "Blueberry I think I already follow you. I am Kristelh and I am not very active. I haven't figured it out very well."

I'm on Litsy, too- as tstan. I'm also trying to figure it out."

I will look for you. I found Kristel. I thought Litsy was silly at first but now I'm loving it and mildly obsessed

message 19: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments I looked up this Litsy thing - I'm toastntolerant on there! Now I just gotta figure out how to use it!

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Flo wrote: "I looked up this Litsy thing - I'm toastntolerant on there! Now I just gotta figure out how to use it!"

I will look for you. It took me a while to get a hang of it. I recommend following a few of the popular people (Liberty, bookish Marginalia, reallifereading, etc). They run a bunch of different challenges that are fun. Right now I'm participating in a secret Cupid gift exchange, the Litsy A to Z challenge, and a bunch of others. There's so much going on over there that it takes some time to figure it all out but once you do I'll be a lot of fun

message 21: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6438 comments Lisa Ann ✿ wrote: "The only other social media I ever post anything book related is on Facebook and that is a rarity. I am not even very active on Facebook anymore, tried Instagram in the past but didn't enjoy it so ..."

I'm really starting to share your conclusion. Facebook is tough for me because I really, really enjoy seeing people's children, pets, and believe it or not, travel photos. I like wishing them happy birthday on their birthday. I love the joyous parts. But I really am saddened by the rhetoric and the politics. I keep blocking every news source (I get my news directly), unfollow the most political people, and yet still stuff keeps sneaking through . . .

I love it here where it is about books, books, books and people rarely deviate. Even books that are political are discussed in such a civil manner.

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6438 comments Jen wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Kristel wrote: "Blueberry I think I already follow you. I am Kristelh and I am not very active. I haven't figured it out very well."

I'm on Litsy, too- as tstan. I'm also trying to f..."

I feel like I'm on it, but now I'm not sure. I really don't need another obsession, but of course now I feel like I should revisit it!

message 23: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Kristel wrote: "Blueberry I think I already follow you. I am Kristelh and I am not very active. I haven't figured it out very well."

Kristel, you are right. Sorry. All of the following and folllowers gets confusing at times. I started and am still slow on it. I sometimes find my self getting overwhelmed by the technology in my life and have to back away, even it's about books.

message 24: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Tstan and Toastntolerant I followed you on Litsy.

message 25: by LibraryCin (last edited Jan 25, 2017 04:09PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Anita wrote: "I'm really starting to share your conclusion. Facebook is tough for me because I really, really enjoy seeing people's children, pets, and believe it or not, travel photos...."

Just wanted to say that I also love looking at people's travel photos! :-)

message 26: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1197 comments Blueberry wrote: "Tstan and Toastntolerant I followed you on Litsy."

Following you back! Don't expect much activity yet- still gotta figure it out

message 27: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4986 comments This and Facebook are my only social media outlets. I try to limit posting pictures or comments as I'm wary of what may spread to who knows where.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8538 comments Just thinking about what Anita shared, my entire morning, personal and professional, seems to be about the theme of finding joy and raising ourselves separate and above the hard moments in parenting, and in politics. I love that this site is about books, and lives, and sometimes differences. But it's a live soulful oasis away. We have too much of the divides everywhere else. People are immersed, supportive, enraptured, intrigued, and challenged here. I'm thrilled I don't have a Facebook page. And I actually really like the diversion of interweaving you guys into my daily life. I guess I've become not just a PBT devotee but a good reads one as well.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

That is very sweet, Amy. :-) It is a difficult time to find a nice diversion and place of acceptance with people who have common interests. I often consider permanently getting rid of my Facebook account and maybe one time I will follow through.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

annapi wrote: "This and Facebook are my only social media outlets. I try to limit posting pictures or comments as I'm wary of what may spread to who knows where."

Smart! Once it's on the internet, it's there forever makes a lot of sense.

message 31: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments I have Facebook and Twitter set to sharing my reviews from here on Goodreads, but I don't do many more bookish things on there than that. Like Flo, I often think I should try to use Twitter as a book thing, but then I go regularly for a few days, get bored, and go back to just having the automated updates.

I also have a LiveJournal, on which I talk about books sometimes (as entries shared with just my friends). Does anybody else here have LJ?

message 32: by LibraryCin (last edited Jan 28, 2017 11:15AM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments I forgot about twitter. Im never there, but i have librarything set up to share my reviews there, as well.

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7018 comments This is the only place I've been going to about books, although I am on LibraryThing. There are things I like about LT, but it seemed much harder to get to know people in groups. I have only so much time. I do go on FB from time to time (not as often as here), but for different reasons. Not about books. HOWEVER, I first got introduced to online book groups via Anita on FB, back in early 2013 when she posted about this group on Shelfari when we were there.

message 34: by Red52 (new)

Red52 This is such an interesting conversation about what social media means or is being used for by the individuals in this group. I for the most part only talk about books on GR. Facebook is used for other interests; art, cooking, travel, beauty, movies and Hollywood. I've found several great sites and products that I would not have found otherwise on Facebook.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 30, 2017 09:51PM) (new)

Ellie wrote: "I,also have a LiveJournal, on which I talk about books sometimes (as entries shared with just my friends). Does anybody else here have LJ?

No, I had never heard of LJ, Ellie. I had to look it up. There are so many social networking and blogs sites out there now, that it is hard to keep up.