Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

The Prodigal > The Prodigal- Chapter 5 Discussion Question

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
Do you think Jack owes the church an apology for everything?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
I think that's tough. On one side I think it's none of their business and the only ones that deserve an apology are his family, God and even Sally. On the other hand, it affected a lot of people. There were a lot of people who looked up to him(like Danny) and were let down when the news got out. Yeah they weren't directly involved, but it did affect them in a way.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I believe he does owe the church an apology. Yes, ultimately, this is between Jack and God and Jack and his wife; however, he is a Pastor and the Pastor of a megachurch which means he has a large sphere of influence. There are many eyes on him and as we discussed in one of the previous questions, he is idolized by some. Others are looking to him to be an example - as he should be. Some are just looking for him to fail to prove that the church is just full of hypocrites.

Luke 17: 1 Jesus said to his disciples: “Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. 2 It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.

Jack needed to apologize and to repent. So hard to be humble, but so important to show Christians and non-Christians alike that this is after all what Christianity is all about. We are all sinners, but God sent his son to take on the sins of the world by dying on the cross so if we repent, we can have eternal life in the presence of our Creator and Savior.

This can sound cliche, but it is true: Christians are not perfect, they are forgiven.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments I'm practically repeating what's been said already but, yes, I think Jack does owe the church an apology. When you're the pastor of a church (big or small), this mean you are "leading" the people in the congregation. With this said, you are therefore accountable to everyone. Unfortunately, it just goes along with the territory. No, it's not anyone's business to know Jack's personal life, but if everyone knows about what had happened, it's not like it can just be ignored and swept under the rug. If a person's heart is truly remorseful and is willing to be humble, then saying an apology to the people who have looked up to you and have take heed to your instructions, shouldn't be hard to do. Yes, it would be extremely embarrassing, but how much more would a person look up to them again? I know I sure would! I thik my thoughts would be, "Wow! That must've been really hard to do. That shows a lot about him though. The fact he stood up there in front of everyone and openly asked for forgiveness? I admire him for that."