Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2017 Plans > Steph's 2017 Reading Plans

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph (last edited Feb 20, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

Steph (steph_lane) | 1 comments Hey everyone, excited to join in on this reading challenge!

I've got lots of books on the shelf that I want to dust off here, and I'm looking to combine this with some other reading challenges, like Bookriot's Read Harder Challenge, and a whole lot of side reading preparing for a new member of the family to join us in a few months :) He will be joining in on the challenge too, starting this spring!

I hope to read a lot of new authors this year, and classics new and old I have been meaning to read for a while.

My list is still in process, and I'm guessing I won't read in order. Here is my plan so far:

1. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 (still unsure about this one)

2. A book with at least 2 perspectives (multiple points of view) The Year of the Flood (finished February 15)

3. A book you meant to read in 2016 Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know (Finished January 7, 2017)

4. A title that doesn't contain the letter "E" Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us

5. A historical fiction The Underground Railroad

6. A book being released as a movie in 2017 Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race(currently reading this one)

7. A book with an animal on the cover or in the title The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea

8. A book written by a person of color The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness(currently reading)

9. A book in the middle of your To Be Read list The Power of Place: Urban Landscapes as Public History

10. A dual-timeline novel Everything I Never Told You

11. A category from another challenge

12. A book based on a myth

13. A book recommended by one of your favorite authors - Roxane Gay recommended this one: If You Lived Here You'd Already Be Home

14. A book with a strong female character - I want to re-read one of my favorites for this week The Fifth Sacred Thing

15. A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland) - I love this movie, so maybe I'll read the book: Let the Right One In

16. A mystery - going to stay in this part of this world another week, and perhaps read a Wallander mystery? I need to decide which one.

17. A book with illustrations - I'm getting ready for my baby to arrive, so I might use this week to read some books to my belly like Goodnight Songs: A Celebration of Seasons

18. A really long book (600+ pages) Don Quixote

19. A New York Times best-seller The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

20. A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading Mo' Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove

21. A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read - Octavia Butler?

22. A book by an author you haven't read before

23. A book from the BBC "The Big Read" list (link)

24. A book written by at least two authors

25. A book about a famous historical figure Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

26. An adventure book

27. A book by one of your favorite authors

28. A non-fiction

29. A book published outside the 4 major publishing houses (Simon & Schuster; HarperCollins; Penguin Random House; Hachette Livre) - check all the editions

30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books

31. A book from a sub-genre of your favorite genre

32. A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding subtitle)

33. A magical realism novel

34. A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere

35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty

36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee (link)

37. A book you choose randomly - some week I'll just do this from my
bookshelves or when I'm at the library.

38. A novel inspired by a work of classic literature

39. An epistolary fiction

40. A book published in 2017 - Other folks have read this, and I think it's one of our challenge books for February Homegoing

41. A book with an unreliable narrator Slaughterhouse-Five

42. A best book of the 21st century (so far) - have been meaning to read this for a long time White Teeth

43. A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, cold)

44. A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next" (link)

45. A book with a one-word title Middlesex

46. A time travel novel - excited to re-read this: A Wrinkle in Time

47. A past suggestion that didn't win (link)

48. A banned book - so many possibilities. Maybe Bradbury Fahrenheit 451

49. A book from someone else's bookshelf - A book I borrowed and need to read soon: The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art

50. A Penguin Modern Classic - any edition - so many cool choices here!

51. A collection (e.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays) - this is coming out soon: The Refugees

52. A book set in a fictional location

message 2: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments You've got four books on there that I loved! Henrietta Lacks and Middlesex in particular are amazing! I also loved Fahrenheit 451 & Slaughterhouse-Five. I hope you enjoy them, and good luck with your new arrival!

message 3: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1058 comments Mod
That's an interesting plan. I have a few of your choices on my shortlist too (Fahrenheit 451, White Teeth and Slaughterhouse Five).

Congratulations on your new arrival. My little one is nine months old now and lots of my 2016 reading was pregnancy or baby related.

message 4: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I lost about four years of reading when my daughter was born! I'm making up for it now though. :)