Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

20 views
Everything > Book Covers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cvenable16) | 136 comments Am I the only one disappointed after starting a book the description of the characters does not match the artwork on the book cover? Especially, when they describe the heroine as an exotic dark gypsy type and the cover shows her as very blonde. Just something that caused me to think tonight as I was finding a new book to read. Read part of the excerpt and it just made think "no don't think I'll get this one".


message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2094 comments Mod
I know a lot of people care about covers. I have to admit that I don't pick books based on them and mostly ignore them. I do get annoyed when covers are blatantly wrong or just silly ( see Spymaster's Lady--why would he tear open his clothes like that--or all the women with the backs of their dresses undone) but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the book.


message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1278 comments I'm a bit the same. It won't stop me from enjoying a story but I have been turned off a book because of the cover. I have also chosen a book based on the cover too. One in particular Ricochet (Vigilantes, #1) by Keri Lake grabbed my attention and kept it. The blurb scared the bejeezus out of me but I eventually bought and read it. It was out of my comfort zone but I ended up loving it. :-)


message 4: by Landslide (new)

Landslide | 27 comments Cheri wrote: "Am I the only one disappointed after starting a book the description of the characters does not match the artwork on the book cover? "

No, you're not the only one. It irritates me to no end. If it's a book I want to read, I'll still read it, but I'll glare at the cover everytime I pick it up...


message 5: by Missy (new)

Missy (dustigal) | 8 comments It annoys me too. Such a lack of attentation to detail. It doesn't stop me from reading a book but I too glare at the incorrect cover while reading.


message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments I agree. I read mostly e-books so the cover isn't as obvious while reading. Usually when I'm trying to get a better visual of what the characters look like I'll go to the cover. I too get very irritated when they don't match the character in looks or behavior. I also get mad at the HRs that use models who have styles or haircuts which in no way match the time period of the book.

I too have picked a book up based on the cover...some are just too irresistible to pass up!


message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I also hate when I find 2 books with the same cover...and the kicker is that neither matched the character description


message 8: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1186 comments I'm bad and have on numerous occasions chosen a book based on its cover! A good cover is eye catching and makes me want to read the book.

My annoyance is the printed cover is sometimes nicer than the kindle cover hahahahahahah


message 9: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1278 comments Leigh-Ayn wrote: "I'm bad and have on numerous occasions chosen a book based on its cover! A good cover is eye catching and makes me want to read the book.

My annoyance is the printed cover is sometimes nicer than ..."


It drives me a little crazy when the Aussie cover is different from the American one. I wish they could stick with one. :-)


message 10: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1186 comments Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Leigh-Ayn wrote: "I'm bad and have on numerous occasions chosen a book based on its cover! A good cover is eye catching and makes me want to read the book.

My annoyance is the printed cover is som..."


It drives me crazy when the US has special deals on but we don't! haha


message 11: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1278 comments Leigh-Ayn wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Leigh-Ayn wrote: "I'm bad and have on numerous occasions chosen a book based on its cover! A good cover is eye catching and makes me want to read the book.

My annoyance is ..."


I just had one recently that drove me bonkers. Breath of Fire shows on Amazon (US) - $5.00 - $6.00 for the American cover, the Aussie cover shows $9.00 - $10.00 and then I looked on Amazon (Aus) and it showed as $12.00 - $13.00 (can't remember the exact amounts). I know some of these figure differences have to do with exchange rates but 3 very different figures baffled me.

This REALLY peeved me off. I know these prices are set by the publishers and not the authors but how can they justify it?


message 12: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2094 comments Mod
Do they print there or ship the books?


message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1278 comments Dls wrote: "Do they print there or ship the books?"

Sorry, those prices are all kindle prices. I didn't have a look at the paperback prices on Amazon. I remember looking for it from one of the major book-shop sites here and they wanted close to $40.00.


message 14: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1186 comments Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Dls wrote: "Do they print there or ship the books?"

Sorry, those prices are all kindle prices. I didn't have a look at the paperback prices on Amazon. I remember looking for it from one of the maj..."


If I buy paper books I always get from book depository in the UK as it is free shipping and the books are cheaper than buying from the Australian Book shops.


message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1278 comments Leigh-Ayn wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Dls wrote: "Do they print there or ship the books?"

Sorry, those prices are all kindle prices. I didn't have a look at the paperback prices on Amazon. I remember looking fo..."


Even book depository was over $30.00. :/


message 16: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 2 comments It does irritate me but I'm not pulling my hair out about it. However I'm usually listening to audio books so it's not always in my face so that might be part of the reason.


message 17: by Susan (last edited Feb 10, 2017 08:17AM) (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1018 comments I just found several new-to-me books with gorgeous covers:
Destiny: A Novel, Cyberpunk Tales: Looking Death in the Eye: SciFi Adventure Romance Trilogy, and The Tea Rose


back to top