The Sword and Laser discussion

Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #3)
This topic is about Death's End
The Three Body Problem > TTBP: Death's End (Book 3)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 259 comments I'm just finishing up book 3 Death's End in the trilogy and thought it would be interesting to hear from others reading or have read the third book. Personally I feel it's the strongest of the three in terms of story, character and tightness of narrative.

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3538 comments Mod
I really liked it. Not as much as TTBP, but almost.

Though I did think it got a bit "trippy" and unbelievable at the end.

I would have liked to see Yun and Cheng meet again and not have that "ships passing in the night" scene.

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 259 comments Currently about 75% though. But I'm seeing a pattern that started from the first book with the Cultural Revolution and the Great Ravine, to the rise and fall of religions in the third book. Mass movements and beliefs of people are fickle.

Not sure if I'm getting my point across or not...

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3952 comments I just finished the third book if anyone still wants to discuss.

Overall impression: Highly pessimistic viewpoint used as a forum for discussion of physics, astronautics, and cosmology. The science is interesting, the pessimism depressing. The worst possible thing does not have to happen to each character.

Adddi | 2 comments Luo story about the story of the Earth Civilization Museum:
When human beings realize that the earth civilization may end, but also thinking about the long way to retain the heritage of human civilization.
The target time limit is 1 billion years.
Modern quantum memory, two thousand years;
U disk and hard disk memory, up to five thousand years;
Manufacture of discs made of special metal materials, 100,000 years;
Special synthetic paper and ink, can still read after two hundred thousand years;
But these slim time is a billion years of the sea of a millet only, and look back at the birth of mankind, the ancestors ancestors in the manufacture of tools on the stone to punish the nicks to retain the 2.5 million years before the birth of mankind, Dinosaur footprints retained, retained a hundred million years.
The more advanced the tool is more useless
So human desperate to conclude: "the word engraved on the stone", in order to let the information of human civilization to save 100 million years or so.
Mankind has been to subvert the old tools, create new tools, the process gave birth to countless miracles, as if with the power of God.
To the end of civilization but the enemy but the time, can only do the ancient baby age done things, struggling to leave footprints.