The Sword and Laser discussion

Author Promo (Share Your Stuff!) > ESSENTIAL FOR HUMAN HABITATION ON MARS: Air, Food & Water, Shelter, and — ART

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Paul Leiva (goodreadscomuser_stevenpaulleiva) | 93 comments ESSENTIAL FOR HUMAN HABITATION ON MARS: Air, Food & Water, Shelter, and — ART, My latest essay on The Huffington Post may be of interest to members of this group.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/e...

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 138 comments OK, read the article . . . and largely agreed with it.
Certainly the physical & medical dangers of a Mars trip/colony are pretty serious - and the psychological problems may turn out to be even worse!
We can minimise them by careful selection of crew - but even so, the people you want on a Mars trip are going to be highly intelligent and highly educated - and that often means highly creative. Such people won't be wholly satisfied with the creativity of their scientific work, or with looking at art, they will want to make some of their own. And unless they can be directed to those arts that are easily adaptable to a computer, that is going to be quite demanding of resources, energy, and space.
Oops! we got problems!
Alan Denham, (retired science teacher, now author & woodcarver)

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Paul Leiva (goodreadscomuser_stevenpaulleiva) | 93 comments Alan wrote: "OK, read the article . . . and largely agreed with it.
Certainly the physical & medical dangers of a Mars trip/colony are pretty serious - and the psychological problems may turn out to be even wor..."

Thanks for the comment, Alan. I completely agree with you. Many of the scientists I've know have some artistic outlet, usually, I have found, playing music. Obviously taking musical instruments on the first trip to Mars would be a problem. But as a colony grew, and assuming they would have some supply ships coming from Earth for a while, they could certainly be sent on later. As you say, sing the computer for, say, creative writing and the graphic arts would be simple -- and possibly quite natural for these people who have grown up with computers in their lives. I spent many years involved in film animation and have many friends who started out drawing and painting with the then typical physical materials. But they adapted rather easily to doing their work via computer programs. So it seems that it might be second nature to artists in 2032. As to other artistic endeavors -- once the colony is established and flourishing I'm sure clever humans (and who up there wouldn't be clever) will find way of self-expression.