Beta Reader Group discussion

Special Offers > Free Copy Editing for Sci-Fi/Fantasy or Romance Novels

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. Z. (last edited Feb 02, 2017 08:41AM) (new)

J. Z. Kelley (jzkelley) | 18 comments Hello friends!

I am a new copy editor looking to gain experience and get honest feedback.

I am not an amateur who woke up one day and decided to call herself a copy editor. I have a BA in English, four years' professional writing experience, and a year of academic editing under my belt. I want to make the transition to fiction copy editing.

Some details:

1.) Copy editing involves reading and making suggestions for correct spelling, grammar, syntax, word usage, and consistency. It does not involve feedback on plot, characterization, or pacing, nor does it address simplicity and elegance of expression.
2.) I can accept up to two books at a time.
3.) I guarantee a maximum turnaround time of two weeks.
4.) I prefer to work in Google Docs so that we can discuss your manuscript in real time. However, I can also work with the track changes in MS Word if that is your preference.
5.) My services are absolutely free at this time, no strings attached. If you like the results, I hope you'll write a testimonial I can use on my site.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

message 2: by Lea (new)

Lea McKee | 36 comments I have a YA Sci-fi which has already gone through a few rounds of beta reads and revisions. At this point what I am really in need of is someone with your skill set to help me with the grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors. I've done my best to self-edit, but as I'm sure you understand when it's your own work it's easy to become blind to those types of errors!

I've had a few requests from agents so far and am hesitant to send any more queries until I know it's as polished as possibly. I didn't expect to get such a ratio of requests to subs and now I'm getting nervous!!

Anyways, if you're interested I could send you the first few chapters to see if it's up your alley and we can go from there. I mainly use MS word, but wouldn't mind uploading to google if that's easier for you.

Cheers!

message 3: by J. Z. (new)

J. Z. Kelley (jzkelley) | 18 comments That sounds like a perfect fit for me, Lea!

I'm happy to use MS Word if that's your preference. You can email the early chapters to me at jazzi@creepingjasmine.com. I'll take a look and get them back to you within 48 hours (probably before).

Thanks for your response!

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (redlaire) | 21 comments Hello!

I have a completed science fiction novel, which is 110k words long. It's been beta read a few times and I'm fairly certain most of the glaring errors are gone. I'd love it if someone could look at it with fresh eyes, as I'm sure you understand how writers can become blind to their own errors.

If you're interested I can send you the google docs file as either the whole document or three chapters at a time. I've found that some people prefer working with the smaller file.

message 5: by J. Z. (new)

J. Z. Kelley (jzkelley) | 18 comments Hi Erin!

I'm definitely interested. I prefer to work with the whole document so I can ensure consistency. :) The gmail account for you to add me is jasmkelley@gmail.com.

Thanks!

message 6: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 164 comments Hello!

I have a SciFi/Dark Fantasy novel at 70,000 words. It is a story told in multiple POVs (the main POVs have their own separate chapters) about a city trying to survive the monsters living in the other side of a large wall. Gore and death is kept to a minimum

message 7: by J. Z. (new)

J. Z. Kelley (jzkelley) | 18 comments Hi Elisa,

Both slots are currently filled, but if you're willing to wait, I can start on your novel on February 7. :) Just let me know.

message 8: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 164 comments I can wait

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Bowes | 10 comments Hello
I have Scifi/Romance called Heart Healer and it's about Catherine Andrews is an English woman living in the 1800's. Her father has sold her to Blake Von-Clyer to be his wife to pay off his taxes he owed Mr. Von-Clyer. Catherine soon finds out Blake is a cruel and horrible man. On their wedding night to escape his cruelty she throws herself into the river. Christopher King is living in 2014 doing his best to raise his young son Ryan after his wife left him. One night Christopher finds a woman in the river unconscious and barely breathing. She is also wearing old fashioned clothes. Christopher does everything in his power to help the young women. When Catherine regains consciousness, she finds herself in a strange and unbelievable situation. Terrified, she does her best to keep her guard up against Christopher. But as she gets to know him, she can't help but fall for the man who saved her life. When Catherine's dangerous past comes back to haunt her, it has Catherine and Christopher fighting for each other and their love. In the darkest hour can time and love truly heal all wounds? And I would love to work with you can e-mail at bowesleslie@bellsouth. if you are interested

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1 comments Hi Jazzi,

I would love your opinion. I have a historical multi-perspective tragic romance based during the Renaissance. I can wait a couple of weeks because I see you have a couple already in your queue. It's been through a couple beta reads and I think it's done, but it's my first attempt at writing and I would just like a little reassurance.

You can email me at jrjan1 at icloud dot com.

Thanks.

message 11: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (jeanielong) | 62 comments Hi Jazzi,
I'm wondering if you would be interested in my manuscript. I'll be finishing up this week--a work in progress for a long time.
It has adult content (not erotica), language, and suggestions of violence, etc. As a modern-day romance, bordering on literary but with a pop culture twist, it is both humorous and dramatic with twists and turns, mystery, and of course, sexual chemistry.

It runs around 150K words and the target audience is female between 18 and 55 (although men have enjoyed the manuscript very, very much).
If you're interested in a romance with deep characters and even deeper secrets, I'd love you to take it on, especially with your background. I'm also cool with giving reviews as well as proper credit to my beta readers and editors on my thank you pages when I publish.
Just let me know.
Jeanie
(booklookie@gmail.com)

message 12: by Andy Huang (new)

Andy Huang | 5 comments Hello,

I have a completed sci-fi novel (80K words), told from multiple perspectives with a focus on space combat and political/spy intrigue, that has been beta read a few times.

Please let me know if this would interest you, and I am available to wait :) Please reach me at someonehadblundered [at] gmail.com. Happy to work through Google docs or whichever medium you prefer.

Thanks.

message 13: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (jeanielong) | 62 comments Jeanie wrote: "Hi Jazzi,
I'm wondering if you would be interested in my manuscript. I'll be finishing up this week--a work in progress for a long time.
It has adult content (not erotica), language, and suggesti..."

Also, my manuscript was professionally copyedited prior to me making revisions, but you know how it is when you start making changes ...
Jeanie

message 14: by J. Z. (new)

J. Z. Kelley (jzkelley) | 18 comments Hi everyone,

Wow! What an amazing response!

I am available to copy edit manuscripts again beginning March 8. If you are willing to wait a little over a month, please reply and I'll get you on the schedule.

Thank you!

message 15: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (jeanielong) | 62 comments Jazzi wrote: "Hi everyone,

Wow! What an amazing response!

I am available to copy edit manuscripts again beginning March 8. If you are willing to wait a little over a month, please reply and I'll get you on the..."

I'd like to be added to your list, Jazzi. Thanks.
Jeanie
booklookie@gmail

message 16: by Andy Huang (new)

Andy Huang | 5 comments Yep, ready to wait! Add me to the queue please, thanks!

Andy
someonehadblundered [at] gmail.com

message 17: by J. Z. (new)

J. Z. Kelley (jzkelley) | 18 comments Jeanie, I have you down to start March 8. I'll email you at the end of February to get a copy of your manuscript.

Andy, I can begin on your manuscript on March 23. I'll send you an email in mid-March.

Thank you, everyone. This offer is now closed.

message 18: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 164 comments Did you see my response for Feb 7th?

message 19: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (jeanielong) | 62 comments Jazzi wrote: "Jeanie, I have you down to start March 8. I'll email you at the end of February to get a copy of your manuscript.

Andy, I can begin on your manuscript on March 23. I'll send you an email in mid-Ma..."

Thank you Jazzi! I appreciate it!

message 20: by Andy Huang (new)

Andy Huang | 5 comments Thank you! Looking forward to it.

-Andy

message 21: by J. Z. (new)

J. Z. Kelley (jzkelley) | 18 comments Elisa wrote: "Did you see my response for Feb 7th?"

Yes! I have you on the schedule. :)

Thanks, everyone!

message 22: by Andy Huang (new)

Andy Huang | 5 comments Hi Jazzi,

Just to check if I'm still on the schedule?

Thanks so much.

-Andy