The Sword and Laser discussion

Myke Cole
This topic is about Myke Cole
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #279 - Myke Cole, Man Hunter

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1701 comments Mod
Person hunter, really! He's an equal-opportunity ass-kicker. Author and fighter of crimes, Myke Cole, tells us how he got involved in the new CBS show Hunted! And, what Sam Sykes has to do with any of it.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2017/1/...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/7863699

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3600 comments Mod
Myke Cole, he's either one badass MF manhunter,
or way too old to be playing "Hide and Seek" with other adults ;-)

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6889 comments Mod
It's too bad you guys interviewed him before the first episode aired, I have more questions now than when you were asking for them. Oh well. It was still a good interview.

Luckily Veronica asked the one I wanted to know the most: How do they prevent the hunters from simply spotting the camera crews.

I'm not really sure why he's not allowed to talk about it, but I found that disappointing. I assumed the hunt would be fair, but I really wish he was able to give a better answer. I'm curious if that's for spoiler reasons and we'll find out eventually, or if its for some security reason or just a "trade secret" that CBS whats to protect.

My other questions would related to expanding the rules. The first episode has 3 of the 9 teams start running. 6 people, and not one of them had a bag ready to go. Not even the former criminal who kept bragging about how many times he had run/evaded cops in the past.

Were they not allowed to have stuff prepared? I'd have a go bag, with some burner phones, among other things. But maybe that's against the rules. They seem to limit them to a provided bank account with $500 in it, and a max withdrawal of $100 at any one time. So maybe there were additional constraints on the resources they were allowed to start with.

I enjoyed the first episode, but so far I'm not terribly impressed with the people they've chosen as fugitives. I'm hoping some of the other teams are better, because so far it's seems entirely skewed in the hunter's favor.

They are all really skilled at their jobs, but they are chasing a 6'8" millennial talking about asking to borrow money from his mother and his model girlfriend doesn't seem very hard to me.

The ex-criminal talks a big game, but I'm not terribly impressed by him so far. Of course even if he's capable of doing a good job, his girlfriend seems totally unprepared.

I'm rooting for the two moms, the one woman sounds like she can use the money, and they have to be smarter than the two privileged 20 somethings.

Of course I shouldn't talk, I'd probably be caught really quickly despite my skills with technology and knowledge of camping.

My interest in the show is definitely skewed more towards the hunters and the techniques they use. I probably wouldn't be watching if Myke wasn't on it though. I watch almost no reality TV for a reason.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Yeah, reality TV isn't.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments But is he a Martian Manhunter?

message 6: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) @Rob, episode 2 had a couple teams that were at a level a 'bit' higher than the tall guy and the model.

And unfortunately, some of the points you made (including no one having bags packed) is just something you have to deal with on reality competition shows. There is definitely a production reason for those kind of things.

And Myke looks like the biggest badass in mission control.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6889 comments Mod
Geoff wrote: "@Rob, episode 2 had a couple teams that were at a level a 'bit' higher than the tall guy and the model.

And unfortunately, some of the points you made (including no one having bags packed) is jus..."

That's good. I was out last night and haven't had a chance to catch it. But with The Magician also premiering last night, I may not get to it until the weekend..

message 8: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1701 comments Mod
I'm so obsessed with Hunted, I kind of love it. It tickles me.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Veronica wrote: "I'm so obsessed with Hunted, I kind of love it. It tickles me."

Show us on the doll where it tickled you.

message 10: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 648 comments I despise reality television, but I thought I'd give the show a try after hearing Myke on S&L. Sounded like an interesting premise.

Not enough Myke in the show. He needs to run someone down, tackle them, put them in restraints, and drag them kicking and screaming back to the SUV.

The first episode the players/hunted/fugitives kept talking about avoiding all the cameras - reminded me of Person of Interest.

I didn't make it through the first ep, as I had to leave for work. I'll give it a bit more of a chance. But... Reality TV.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments Rob's question about spotting the camera crews hits hard during episode 2 when the backwoods couple were trying to hide in the weeds and shrubs while the hunters walked nearby. Yeah, I know, SPOILERS, but it's Reality TV, what's there to spoil?

A couple of the hunter's techniques have been surprising. Learning that the USPS scans the envelope of every letter was interesting. Yeah, I know, MORE SPOILERS, but its the USPS!

message 12: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) Mark wrote: "A couple of the hunter's techniques have been surprising. Learning that the USPS scans the envelope of every letter was interesting. Yeah, I know, MORE SPOILERS, but its the USPS! "

In case anyone's interested, here's an article about it--the mail covers program (with a new updated version for the 21st century). http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/us/...

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments David wrote: "Mark wrote: "A couple of the hunter's techniques have been surprising. Learning that the USPS scans the envelope of every letter was interesting. Yeah, I know, MORE SPOILERS, but its the USPS! "

In case anyone's interested, here's an article about it--the mail covers program (with a new updated version for the 21st century). http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/us/...
"

Thanks for the link, David. Fascinating; a century-old metadata collection operation.

message 14: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

David wrote: "In case anyone's interested, here's an article about it--the mail covers program (with a new updated version for the 21st century). "

That guy was once a member of a militant eco-terrorist group and he was shocked that his mail was being surveilled.
What planet does he think he lives on? ;-)

message 15: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments Interesting interview. I had no idea he was involved with the show. If I had more free time I think I'd try to watch it. Maybe once this spacecraft test is done...

message 16: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments terpkristin wrote: "Interesting interview. I had no idea he was involved with the show. If I had more free time I think I'd try to watch it. Maybe once this spacecraft test is done..."

God, you have the coolest job...

message 17: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Dara wrote: "God, you have the coolest job..."

Amen.

message 18: by Minsta (new)

Minsta | 104 comments Dara wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Interesting interview. I had no idea he was involved with the show. If I had more free time I think I'd try to watch it. Maybe once this spacecraft test is done..."

God, you ha..."

This is a request that Sword and Laser interviews terpkristin!

message 19: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments Minsta wrote: "This is a request that Sword and Laser interviews terpkristin! "

Great idea!

message 20: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments You all flatter me. It would be *terrible* idea. But thanks for making me smile. :D Even if I found it days after the fact. :)

message 21: by Ed (new)

Ed (miscatonic) Hunting Hitler focuses on trying to determine whether or not he escaped Germany and if so where could/did he go. 16-20 episodes so far.

Tim Kennedy UFC fighter/Special Forces is on there as well.

message 22: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Ed wrote: "Hunting Hitler focuses on trying to determine whether or not he escaped Germany and if so where could/did he go. 16-20 episodes so far."

More proof the History channel has lost the plot and doesn't deserve the "History" name.

They show a lot of pseudo-history & pseudo-science crap.

We need a real "History" channel that focuses on real History.
Aliens, Ghosts, Cryptids & What Ifs? are not history.

message 23: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) My wife and I have been enjoying the show a lot, and I've been looking online about why they do what they do.

For one, apparently it's a requirement that the teams being hunted have to withdraw from the ATM at least twice during this 28-day period, as well as to keep moving like 5 miles every 2-3 days--that's why they're always moving.

Also, all 9 teams were told they were on the run within a 4-day period, so they're tracking nearly all the teams at once (or not in the case of Matt & Christina, who were caught on the first day).

I'm rooting for Sentra & Thu right now, but my wife is rooting for David & Emiley.

It's really fun to watch, since it takes longer to watch as we keep pausing and discussing strategy and tactics.

message 24: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Ed wrote: "Hunting Hitler focuses on trying to determine whether or not he escaped Germany and if so where could/did he go. 16-20 episodes so far."

More proof the History channel has lost the plot..."

Yeah, they've been that way for a while. It's hard to find a program with true information among all the dreck. After all, one of the most famous memes ever has their stamp on it.

message 25: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I'm also enjoying Hunted.
I get a laugh out of the stupid decisions some of them are making.
Like withdrawing money at the bus station ATM, just before they board a bus.

This is the type of show that will be better in future seasons. When the hunted will know what to expect.
This show couldn't have happened 20 years ago. Staying off the grid was much easier then.

I would like to see a version where you have people like the Hunters (i.e Myke Cole) on the run trying to stay hidden for 28 days.

message 26: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Feb 07, 2017 05:44PM) (new)

Trike wrote: "Yeah, they've been that way for a while. It's hard to find a program with true information among all the dreck. After all, one of the most famous memes ever has their stamp on it."

It is a shame. It used to be good back in the 90s.
I love Historical documentaries.

I've dropped it off my Pay-TV packages, because it is just not worth even the small price they charge for it.

message 27: by David H. (last edited Feb 07, 2017 06:28PM) (new)

David H. (farrakut)
Tassie Dave wrote: "I'm also enjoying Hunted.
I get a laugh out of the stupid decisions some of them are making.
Like withdrawing money at the bus station ATM, just before they board a bus.

This is the type of show that will be better in future seasons. When the hunted will know what to expect.
This show couldn't have happened 20 years ago. Staying off the grid was much easier then.

I would like to see a version where you have people like the Hunters (i.e Myke Cole) on the run trying to stay hidden for 28 days."
Yeah, we were aghast when we saw Matt & Christina do that at the Greyhound station--I could rattle off like 4 different ATM strategies that were much less silly than what they did. But it's so interesting seeing the level of paranoia they gain.

I'd love a special episode of Hunted with Myke on the run. I was wondering how many episodes this season is planned for, since they've made a capture every hour of the show.

message 28: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

David wrote: "I was wondering how many episodes this season is planned for, since they've made a capture every hour of the show."

It finishes March 1st. So it must be 7 episodes

message 29: by Shad (new)

Shad (splante) | 351 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Trike wrote: "Yeah, they've been that way for a while. It's hard to find a program with true information among all the dreck. After all, one of the most famous memes ever has their stamp on it."

I..."

They should follow The Learning Channel's lead and change their name to THC. Discovery at least realized that TLC had nothing to do with learning anymore.

message 30: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) Tassie Dave wrote: "It finishes March 1st. So it must be 7 episodes "

Makes sense--7 episodes = 8 captures, meaning 1 winner? (Episode 2 was 2 hours, so had 2 captures).

message 31: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments If find it kind of odd that none of the fugitives thought to try and change their appearance.

message 32: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) Yeah, I keep yelling at the screen for David to shave his beard. My wife says it probably too him too long to grow & he's vain, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a non-transparent rule (like the move 5 miles every 2 days thing, or the ATM rule)--I wish the producer were clearer about that sort of thing.

I did see a "flash forward" of Aarif or Immad apparently trimming their hair, though.

The wigs that the Greyhound bus couple did were hilarious, though.