UK Book Club discussion

A - Z Author Challenge > Kate's A-Z of Animal Names

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate, Moderator (last edited May 07, 2022 08:55AM) (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
I've decided to start a new challenge for 2017 and beyond! I've nearly finished Around the World and my 2nd A-Z of One Word Titles so here's a new take on A-Z.

I'm going to do an A-Z of Animal Names. The name should be in the title (although I may break my own rule for the trickier letters!) I expect I'll get quite a few dogs and cats but I'd like to have a variety of animals if possible.

A - Arthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home (Dog)
B - A Street Cat Named Bob (Cat)
C - Clara's Grand Tour: Travels with a Rhinoceros in Eighteenth-Century Europe (Rhinoceros)
D - Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (Cat)
E - Emma's Story (Dog - Standard Dachshund)
F - Felix the Railway Cat (Cat)
G - The Badness of King George (Dog - Cavalier King Charles Spaniel)
H - The World According to Humphrey (Hamster)
I -
J - Judy: A Dog In A Million (Dog - English Pointer)
K -
L - Lama (Cat)
M - Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog (Dog - Labrador)
N - A Dog Called Nelson (Dog) Nigel: My Family and Other Dogs (Dog)
O - Olive, Mabel and Me: Life and Adventures with Two Very Good Dogs (Dog)
P - The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Rabbit)
Q -
R - Rascal (Raccoon)
S -
T - Timba Comes Home (Cat)
U -
V - The Outlaw Varjak Paw (Cat)
W - White Fang (Wolf)
X -
Y -
Z -

6 x cats
7 x dogs
1 x hamster
1 x rhinoceros
1 x rabbit
1 x raccoon
1 x wolf

message 2: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
So my first book is The World According to Humphrey Its a children's book really about the escapades of the classroom hamster. I breed hamsters so it was bit of fun about a subject I know quite a bit about!

message 3: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments This looks like it could be a hard one to find. Best of luck

message 4: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Thanks Tania, yep it certainly will be a challenge! I have about 5 books lined up already so its looking good so far!

message 5: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments I read Oscar: The Bionic Cat and Judy: A Dog In A Million to read if thats of any help

message 6: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Those are great suggestions! Thank you. :)

message 7: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
You've got to read 'Mrs. Chippy's Last Expedition'. It's great (and about a cat).

message 8: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Thank you! I'll add it to my list. :)

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Dobinson (baspoet) | 510 comments Great A-Z. I guess you've got Black Beauty on your list ;)

message 10: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments Just found this Ferno The Fire Dragon. Its a YA book but I figure with this your going to end up with a lot of them

message 11: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments This is coming out today in paperbackArthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home. ok sad but i follow Arthur on FB

message 12: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Thanks Tania, I've got that one in hardback ready to read!

message 13: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
T - Timba Comes Home
A nice YA story about a little black kitten and his adventures.
Timba's brother is called Vati so I may need to revisit this one if all else fails and I can't find an alternative V!

message 14: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
C - Clara's Grand Tour: Travels with a Rhinoceros in Eighteenth-Century Europe
My review - which is a surprisingly long review for me!:
This book gives a very interesting account of Clara's journey through Europe in the 18th Century. The European history and politics are palatable but the book suffers from frequent repetition. Unsurprisingly there is a fair amount of speculation given that not all movements are documented but it is certainly an engaging account of the enterprising Van der Meer and his Rhino's travels.

message 15: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
D - Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World This was a re-read and I'd still give it 5 stars.

message 16: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
V - The Outlaw Varjak Paw
Another children's book, this was the second in a series and I haven't read the first but that didn't affect the story. Not a bad book 4 stars and my third cat!

message 17: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
G The Badness of King George
This is about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and his owner's attempts at dog fostering. I have to admit to getting quite frustrated with her lack of ability to actually train any of the new arrivals. Most of the dogs just walked over her (Some literally!)

message 18: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
L - Lama
A short book set at Lands End about a little black cat who turns up at a farm one stormy night and settles for good. True Story.

message 19: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
J - Judy: A Dog In A Million
The lovely heart warming (and heart wrenching) true story of the British Gunboat ship's mascot Judy during WWII. Some truly amazing feats which deserve the airing. Sadly the writing style leaves a lot to be desired.

message 20: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
N - A Dog Called Nelson
A lovely little book set in Bolton in the 1920s.

message 21: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
P - The Tale of Peter Rabbit
I'm currently reading Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales for an Easter project at work so thought I'd take the opportunity to nab one or two critters for this challenge along the way!

message 22: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments Kate wrote: "P - The Tale of Peter Rabbit
I'm currently reading Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales for an Easter project at work so thought I'd take the opportunity to nab one or tw..."

You've read the book but are you going to see the new film?

message 23: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Ha ha, I think I'll have to! I'll need to borrow a friend's 5 year old though as I don't have kids!

message 24: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Saw the film yesterday Tania. Thought they did a good job particularly of integrating Beatrix Potter's original drawings and the animation was good.

message 25: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Just finished Arthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home This was another heart-warming dog story (5 stars). This time all about a dog who joined forces with an adventure team in Ecuador and their gallant efforts to get him back to Sweden.
A good one for Around the World challenge although its split between Sweden and Ecuador and as I've done both I didn't bother gauging the percentage of book in each country!

message 26: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Emma's Story A reasonable story about a woman who relocated from South Africa back to the UK and gets herself a loveable long-haired standard dachshund. The story would have benefitted from more background to the author and her family pre-Emma to give it more context and its shame it was self-published because its not as polished as it could have been.

message 27: by Kate, Moderator (last edited Jul 08, 2018 05:03AM) (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
I'm nearly half way! I have a B book but nothing for the other missing letters yet.
Looking at previous suggestions I'll check out Oscar the Bionic Cat, Ferno the firedragon and I'm aware of one called The 5 lives of our cat Zook.
Any suggestions for other missing letters?

message 29: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
F - Felix the Railway Cat
Not a bad story about Felix the cat living at Huddersfield Railway Station. I did have to check out Felix's Facebook page when I'd finished!

Half way there!

message 30: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
I've done N again!
Nigel: My Family and Other Dogs

message 31: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Finished another one. B this time: A Street Cat Named Bob

message 32: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
In the interests of getting some random species and not all dogs and cats, how about this one:
Rascal By Sterling North. A lovely little book about a boy and his pet raccoon.

message 33: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
M - Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog
I guess it was inevitable that I would read this eventually for M. Not as good as I'd hoped after all the Hype. I suppose I've read a few about some quite remarkable real-life animals for this challenge and Marley wasn't exactly heroic!

message 34: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments I have Murphy the donkey for I am hoping Turkey.

message 35: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
I should have jumped in earlier with my suggestion: 'Mrs Chippy's Last Expedition' by Caroline Alexander is wonderful. My brother bought it for me ages ago and I really wasn't sure about it, so it sat on my shelves unread for a couple of years. When I finally got around to it, I loved it. Shackleton's Antartic Expedition from the point of view of the ship's cat. Sounds unlikely, but it's wonderful (and short - only 200ish pages). I may have mentioned it before, as it's my go-to animal book! 'The Story of Edgar Sawtelle' has a great chapter from the dog's perspective, but just the one and the animal's name is not in the title.... Great book anyway ;)

message 36: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Wow. Its been a while since I tackled this challenge!
Moving on with White Fang. I gave it 4 stars. It was an easy read, uncomfortable in places mainly due to it being very much of its time. I also felt the final chapter was a bit of a desperate ending which is why it got 4 and not 5 stars.

message 37: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Next one is O and I've read Olive, Mabel and Me: Life and Adventures with Two Very Good Dogs which was a joy. Its about the 2 labradors that become a lockdown internet sensation when their sports commentator owner turned his hand to commentating on their daily activities. A worthy 5 stars.