Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > #Diverseathon 2017

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Is anyone else participating in #diverseathon 2017? I am reading Legend by Marie Lu. I'm not sure if I will be able to sneak in a second book after this one or not.

What are you reading for this event?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2632 comments Seems interesting, but I didn't find out about it in time to really plan ahead. I don't think I have anything at the moment that would fit.

Ginger (Sproutygamer) (sproutygamer) | 9 comments I am
I am reading The six of crows duology by Leigh Bardugo and maybe one other thing. I am not sure yet.

message 5: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Well I wish I had had time to plan ahead because two unfortunate things have happened:

1. After I finished reading the first diverse book, I completely forgot that diversity was a goal and started reading something by the a white heterosexual male from the US. Not terribly diverse (AMAZING book however!)

2. After I realized my mistake I went looking for diverse books on my kindle and could not find ANY. It's quite a chore to go through every authors bio to see if they are a minority in any way. Several of the authors do not have pictures so I have no way to tell if they are a person of color, and many LGBT authors don't necessarily write their sexual preferences in their bio, which is understandable. Oh well.

So I guess I will just be letting this readathon go. I'll need to do a LOT more research before the next one.

message 6: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Amy, the diversity includes the content of the book, so if you have books with characters of color or LGTB, it's fine. You can also check the ownvoice lists, they'll fit the diversity goal:
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 7: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Zaz wrote: "Amy, the diversity includes the content of the book, so if you have books with characters of color or LGTB, it's fine. You can also check the ownvoice lists, they'll fit the diversity goal:
https:/..."

Thanks Zaz. I found a book of short stories with 2 contributing authors who are LGBT so I am working on that now. I found a few 'persons of color' authors on my physical bookshelf too. So maaaaaaybe I can continue on with this project.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2632 comments So my understanding is just that we are supposed to read books that either have diverse authors or diverse characters? If that's the case, then at least one of my books does fit:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat, which features Willow Rosenberg, a character who is a lesbian. There is also a character in this volume specifically who is from Tibet.

message 9: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments I finished up the short story collection, Badass and the Beast which had two LGBT authors, three LGBT characters and one minor "person of color" character (still hating on that term but whatever).

On my physical bookshelf I have a lot of books to read for the Around the World Challenge. I grabbed Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe to use for this challenge as well. So far I really like it. :-)

message 10: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Rachel wrote: "So my understanding is just that we are supposed to read books that either have diverse authors or diverse characters? If that's the case, then at least one of my books does fit:

[book:Buffy the V..."

Rachel, I would say that would fit the challenge :-)

message 11: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Last Book for this Diverseathon will be (drum roll please).....

Object of My Affection a story of a gay man who breaks up with his lover and becomes roommates with a woman who finds herself single and pregnant. I've read the first two pages and enjoy how the author jumps right into the story. So far so good!

message 12: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I finished all my reads for the diverseathon, so I'm continuing my other stuff. It didn't change me at all from my usual reads, I think I'm already reading diverse books when I'm not sticking to (adult) fantasy, but it was nice to participate :)

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2632 comments I also finished:

The Art of Racing in the Rain - there was a gay male couple who were fairly important side characters
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming - some of the slayers are characters of colour, and Willow and Kennedy are a lesbian couple

message 14: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I'm not specifically taking part in this challenge but I'm constantly trying to make my reading more diverse and have been making an effort to try and include more diversity into my reading over the last couple of years and this year. I've done fairly well, I definitely read books by various POC and that featured POC as well as people from the LGBT+ community, and in some cases both (I'm unsure of which of the authors are LGBT+ though) over the last two years and am planning to keep it up this year.

I'm going to hover around this discussion, though, so that I can discover more books.