Bright Young Things discussion

Moderator's Choice > Welcome

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (last edited Feb 15, 2017 11:31AM) (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
Welcome to the section called 'Moderator's Choice'.

The moderator will recommend a book, a person or an event from our time period and lead a discussion by adding prompt questions and discussion points.

The choices will be well known books, people and events from the period 1900 to 1945. This will allow us to explore the era in new ways and to read some of the classics from our time period.

The moderator's choice will usually remain 'live' for 2 months after which another choice will be made by the moderator. This will mean a choice for Jan/Feb, one for Mar/Apr, May/June etc.

This is in addition to our monthly fiction and non-fiction poll so don't feel obliged to join in if you're already stretched with your reading - its not obligatory.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 1002 comments Mod
Cool idea, Ally!

message 3: by Bronwyn (last edited Jan 24, 2017 05:41AM) (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 651 comments Interesting idea! And what a good first pick, I see. :) I don't know that I'll join in reading (though maybe discussing) since I reread it relatively recently, but I look forward to future picks we might not've picked ourselves. :)

eta: According to Goodreads I last read Gatsby in 2011. Maybe it is time for a reread...!

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Great idea Ally. The guided discussions mean that everyone can follow along even if they haven't read the book yet. I haven't read the first book chosen but I'm enjoying the discussion.

message 5: by David (new)

David Izzo | 31 comments A note on Gatsby and George Goetz:

Gatsby is and will never be fully accepted by the other characters because he is Jewish (Jay Gatz). There was a well-known journal editor who went by the name of V.F. Calverton--born George Goetz.
He used Calverton to find more acceptance in the literary world.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments Just out of interest, when will you announce the March/April choice?

message 7: by Ally (new)

I'm working on it Susan...I'll put a message out at the weekend.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments Decisions, decisions, Ally! Enjoy making your choice and I shall hope for something exciting :)

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikeynick) | 239 comments Looking forward to it also. Gives an opportunity to read something which I may not had ordinarily choosen and to view the book as other see it too.
Brilliant idea Ally kept it up, I like the two month time window too it's more flexible time time wise.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments Hi Ally - interesting choice. Will we just be discussing An Inspector Calls (saw it at the theatre many years ago and remember virtually nothing about it!) or the other plays in the collection too?

message 11: by Ally (new)

Just 'An Inspector Calls' Susan for the purposes of the moderators choice discussion (...but if our members want to read the remaining plays in the collection we can always discuss them in our plays section). The play might not be everyone's cup of tea but the themes are universal so there will be lots of opportunity to get involved in the discussion even if members haven't, or don't want to, read the play.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments Thanks for clarifying that, Ally. An Inspector Calls is a popular choice for GCSE exams now.

message 13: by Val (new)

Val Susan wrote: "Thanks for clarifying that, Ally. An Inspector Calls is a popular choice for GCSE exams now."
It must be; my library has five different study guides, two filmed versions and a BBC radio adaption on DVDs, a play set and the play in hardback.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments :)

message 15: by Ally (new)

Yes, it's very accessible here in the U.K. Hopefully our members across the pond will also be able to get hold of it (...I'm assuming that it's not a school/college text in the US?).

There was a fantastic BBC adaptation last year with Miranda Richardson, Ken Stott and Sophie Rundle.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments Just looked on Amazon and there is also an Alastair Sim version available.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikeynick) | 239 comments Interesting choice, I read this school, saw the play at the Lowry theatre some years back and yes Ally the BBC adaption was wonderful.

There is quite a lot in this to consider it may takes us along some differing paths!

message 18: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments Not very accessible in the US. I can check at the library but I have been looking for this, off and on, for quite a while.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments Youtube has several screen versions listed, if you can watch those from the US, Jan?

message 20: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments Susan wrote: "Youtube has several screen versions listed, if you can watch those from the US, Jan?"

I'll take a look.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 774 comments Amazon.com has some second hand copies too, Jan, although Abe books (or somewhere similar) would undoubtedly have it too. I sympathise if you are trying to get things through your library - mine never seem to have anything we read in any group :)

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikeynick) | 239 comments I suppose there are downloadable versions too.
It's a tricky one for our moderator to chose books available to all.
I'm fortunate to work 2 minutes walk from a large bookshop and currently has excess to a town centre library.