Paths to Wholeness discussion

Member Promotions > Slaying the Mermaid and Mermaid No More

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Stephanie Golden (wwwgoodreadscomstephanie_golden) | 11 comments I wrote Slaying the Mermaid: Women and the Culture of Sacrifice as a way to understand a disturbing event at a shelter for homeless women run by nuns where I was a volunteer, gathering material for my first book. The nuns were brainwashed by a psychopathic male volunteer and turned into a minicult. Fortunately their close connection to each other enabled them to realize what was going on and kick him out. But it was a shattering experience, including for me since I loved them and believed in them.

I concluded that the key to what happened was their training in self-sacrifice. Through humongous research I discovered that this training wasn't restricted only to nuns. The book argues that the self-sacrificing impulse comes from women's history, not their nature. It points the way past self-defeating self-sacrifice, toward the original spiritual meaning of sacrifice as an act that transforms and empowers.

Recently I wrote a short ebook, Mermaid No More: Breaking Women's Culture of Sacrifice after I heard from a therapist who told me that excessive self-sacrifice was a problem for many of her clients. It's more pragmatic, with specific practical strategies to help women figure out whether they're sacrificing more than is good for them, and help them stop doing it.

PS: Hans Christian Andersen's Little Mermaid (not the Disney one) is my image for the ultimate self-sacrificing woman.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Marie | 11 comments Thank you for sharing, Stephanie! I just added this to my to-read list.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Golden (wwwgoodreadscomstephanie_golden) | 11 comments Christine wrote: "Thank you for sharing, Stephanie! I just added this to my to-read list."

I'm so happy to hear that! And I'd love to know what you think when you read it.

message 4: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Aitken | 9 comments Just bought your book, Stephanie. I'm looking forward to this read.