World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Book recommendations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (last edited Jan 23, 2017 10:57AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 14913 comments Every author stresses the importance of word of mouth for book to resonate and its ultimate success.
Here on GR we have this wonderful feature of 'recommendations'. Every week I receive a few, mostly from people I rarely communicate with.
In the capacity of the readers, what's your attitude to such recommendations? What weight do you give them: are they this coveted 'word of mouth' or to a lesser degree? Are recommendations' swaps between authors something allowed or not?

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14913 comments Seriously though, they have this recommendation option here on GR and I frequently receive recommendations from people who I never communicated with before, yet they confidently suggest what to read. What's your attitude?

message 3: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments If they're someone I don't really 'know' I tend to ignore them. They wouldn't have a clue what I like, so I suspect they're recommending for someone else's reasons, or (quite often) their own book.

Sigh... "Buy my book!" isn't what I'd call a 'recommendation.'

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10697 comments I ignore recommendations, unless they suggest I look at a review. I do not make recommendations, but I review whatever I read, and anyone is welcome to look at my reviews which, after all, are in the public domain. My view is I don't really know what others will like, and they don't know mile likes. And as Leonie says, "Buy my book!" isn't exactly a recommendation.

Mind you, having said that, if anyone wants to buy my books, please do :-)

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments I only take suggestions from people who know me and who have taken the time to review the types of books I read. Of course, it's nice to read outside the norm, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to read a sci-fi book.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10697 comments Oh Denise, that (SF books) makes me oh so sad :-(

message 7: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 10 comments I only take the book recommendation into account if the book intrigues me - I also make book recommendations; but then I leave it to the choice and discretion of the reader, since everyone has different tastes.