Play Book Tag discussion

January 2017: Foreign Literature > The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg, read by David Thorn - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1) by Camilla Läckberg
The first in a series I'm likely to continue reading. Scandinavian crime novels are making a name for themselves and this is one of them. The story has the right mix of side stories like family relationships, a romantic interest, some humor, but mostly the solving of a mystery. At the beginning, a body is found in an old family home, the family had moved away a number of years ago. The body is that of the daughter who returned periodically to the small village. The house is very cold, the furnace not working in deep winter, and her body is found in a bathtub with wrists cut and ice formed on the water surface.

Erica Falck has also returned to the village after the sudden death of her parents, to try to decide about her family home. She was a childhood friend of the deceased. Fairly early on, it is decided that this was not a suicide, but a murder. Solving the murder was not easy, lots of possibilities and some motives that seemed plausible. Some surprises but not from out of left field, all very well thought out.

I listened to the audio and it was quite well done with one caveat. The reader was very good at pronouncing the Swedish words but his accents were all over the place - some characters had a British accent (most of them), periodically there seemed to be a fairly decent Scandinavian accent but the really odd ones sounded almost Scottish! I worked past that but it surprised me constantly. He did a good job reading but those accents . . . . oh well, it didn't ruin the story!

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5071 comments This sounds interesting, I will have to look it up.