Reading #52books2018 discussion

Book recommendations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Thomas (melancholiet) | 11 comments Last year I read Who We Were Before by Leah Mercer and it's on special offer today only - £1.25 for the Kindle edition on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Were-Bef...

Who We Were Before examines life for a couple who are dealing with the death of a child. It mingles flashbacks, which show the history of their relationship from their first meeting, and present day as they take an awkward weekend trip to Paris. It was engaging, at times funny and at others moving. The portrayals of grief and loss were realistic and the characters relatable.

As well as highlighting this deal, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can recommend books we've enjoyed, so please feel free to tell us all about a book you've loved and why you recommend it. :-)

message 2: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (bookandbeergeek) | 8 comments I've just read Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury and it could have been written last year. I loved it.

I'm catching up on a lot of books I think I should have already read this year!

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Bedford | 30 comments Marilyn ... that has inspired me to read some Ray Bradbury next.... I'm always surprised at how impressed I am with scifi....

message 4: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (radley_and_me) | 6 comments Ray Bradbury's short stories are amazing! They work brilliantly in class. Mine loved 'The Sound of Thunder'. Very topical right now as well! On YouTube you can find a very old TV version of it- kids loved the rubbish special effects. Did an AQA paper one on it.

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (bookandbeergeek) | 8 comments I'll have to have a look at them :-)

message 6: by Mathew (last edited Mar 06, 2017 08:13AM) (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments Hi all. The shortlist for the UKLA book awards was published today. These are the only children's book awards voted by teachers. I created two lists for you to look at. I hope they prove useful!

3-11: Here

12-16: Here

message 7: by Graham (new)

Graham | 9 comments If you've not read Jessica's Ghost yet, you need to. Superb little book