The Maze Runner 2017 discussion

Post 4: Chapters 45-End

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?

message 2: by Zian (new)

Zian Bautista | 8 comments Fear is the theme of not making it out of the maze. Thomas is realizing how to escape the maze for the first time ,and realizes that they need to do it now or never. The author is emphasizing the rapid shortages in numbers and the grievers will hunt them all down until they're all dead.

message 3: by Owen (new)

Owen | 7 comments I think that the theme of the story is perseverance. I think that because no matter how bad the situation got for the gladers most of them never gave up. They could've given up and stopped searching the maze years ago but the didn't. This is supported in the epilogue on page 373 when Ava Paige wrote "Honestly, I'm amazed that in the end, despite everything, we were able to collect such a large population of kids that just never gave up." The gladers also risked everything just for the slight chance that Thomas' plan worked .

message 4: by Tommy (new)

Tommy | 9 comments I think the theme of the story is to have hope and never give up because everyone who went on the journey to escape was scared but they all had hope that they were gonna make it. On page 328, Newt said "You all know the plan. After two years of being treated like mice, tonight were making a stand. Tonight were taking the fight back to the creators, no matter what we have to go through to get there, Tonight, the grievers better be scared!"

message 5: by Cole (last edited Feb 24, 2017 06:05AM) (new)

Cole | 8 comments I think the theme of Maze Runner is friendship and bravery, the theme is friendship because when the got up the box they didn't know each other, but throughout the book Thomas makes relationships with Alby, Minho, Chuck, Teresa, and Newt. and they work as a team to get out of the maze. The theme is also bravery because in The Maze Runner because Thomas shows bravery by going into the maze to help save Alby.

message 6: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Woods | 8 comments Erin wrote: "What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?"

I think the main theme of this story is bravery and how it's important. Thomas was brave enough to save Alby and Minho by running into the maze and going back in after that was also very brave of him. If he hadn't been brave, Alby for sure would be dead and I can assume that Minho would most likely also be dead because of the many times the other boys talked about no one escaping or surviving a night in the maze.

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Woods | 8 comments Erin wrote: "What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?"

I agree on what you said about fear taking on a big role in The Maze Runner. Even from the very first page, there has always been fear and uneasiness among the boys.

message 8: by Zian (new)

Zian Bautista | 8 comments Olivia wrote: "Erin wrote: "What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?"

I agree with Olivia because it's shown that if desperate to escape they will take chances no matter what.

message 9: by Tommy (new)

Tommy | 9 comments Cole wrote: "I think the theme of Maze Runner is friendship and bravery, the theme is friendship because when the got up the box they didn't know each other, but throughout the book Thomas makes relationships w..."
I agree with what you said because someone had to be a leader and Thomas was brave and lead people to the end. Also they all trusted each other that they would protect also

message 10: by Tommy (new)

Tommy | 9 comments Cole wrote: "I think the theme of Maze Runner is friendship and bravery, the theme is friendship because when the got up the box they didn't know each other, but throughout the book Thomas makes relationships w..."
I agree with what you said because someone had to be a leader and Thomas was brave and lead people to the end. Also they all trusted each other that they would protect also

message 11: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Tommy wrote: "I think the theme of the story is to have hope and never give up because everyone who went on the journey to escape was scared but they all had hope that they were gonna make it. On page 328, Newt ..."

I agree with what you said because through the book Thomas never gave up and was trying to get out of the maze, I think that it was also hope to because while getting in the maze they a never gave up and always had hope.

message 12: by Ashton (new)

Ashton Hedeman | 8 comments A theme the author emphasized was "never give up." Because most of the people who didn't give up survived but the people who stayed back at the glade most likely died. Another reason the theme was 'never give up" was because if they did give up they would've never survived. I think the author tried to communicate this by using Thomas, Thomas always preached that they needed to keep trying and they did and got out of the maze.

message 13: by Ashton (new)

Ashton Hedeman | 8 comments Owen wrote: "I think that the theme of the story is perseverance. I think that because no matter how bad the situation got for the gladers most of them never gave up. They could've given up and stopped searchin..." True, perseverance is very alike to my theme, never give up. Perseverance makes perfect sense. Because most of the successful characters represented perseverance in most of the book.