The Giver 2017 discussion

26 views
Post 4: Chapters 18-End

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?


message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica I think that the author presents the theme that even though there is pain in the human world, the joys of life outweigh the sorrows. A controlled environment defeats the unique traits that make a person's character. Where is life if people cannot make decisions, even ones as simple as simple as what to wear or eat that day?


message 3: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Scott | 8 comments I think that the theme of the story was that people should live their live even though some parts of it are bad and even terrifying. For example when Jonas was first in training he was having fun with the sled which made him happy. but when the war memory came he was very sad and scared. but if Jonas did not get the memories i dont think he would be has happy because he would not know what happiness is or what any emotion is.


message 4: by Pearson (new)

Pearson Martin | 7 comments I think that the theme in which the author emphasized was happiness is way more powerful than the sadness. The controlled community that they live in does not let the people truly live life. What is the point of having a community where the people do not even have feelings? Jonas and The Giver finally realized that it is not right. I think the author is trying to get across to the readers that you should live life happy even through the ups and downs. The author tried to get this across by the memories. The part when the author talks about the old receiver is a good example. The giver said to Jonas " I backed off, gave her more delights" (Lowry, 142). The author was showing that even through difficult times there should always be happiness and for the community if they had feelings they would not be happy with their lifestyle.


message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Roberts | 7 comments I agree as well People shouldn't be isolated from from bad or good things in there own lives because of someone else thinks they should


message 6: by Tram (last edited Feb 21, 2017 10:04AM) (new)

Tram | 8 comments I think that the theme in which the author emphasized is the significance of memories to human life. I believe in so, because there is only one Receiver until Jonas comes along. The Receiver's job is to ensure the peoples safety by storing all the past memories to himself/herself those including pain, heartache, comfort, and much more. "Although he had through the memories learned about the pain of loss and loneliness, now he gained, too, an understandings of solitude and its joy." (Lowry 122). Lois Lowry showed us that a memory is rare and precious and each one tells us a story.


message 7: by Tad (new)

Tad Kratzer | 7 comments The author was emphasizing a theme that depression usually overcome joy and that we must accept it.


message 8: by Princess (new)

Princess | 3 comments the theme Lois Lowry emphasized is memories and seeing things far away. Jonas came across lots of things that he thought won't happens. Lois lowry did this by passing through Jonas, like people not being able to do what they want.At the end some of the laws change. the texts sates on page 179" and all at once he could see lights,and he recgnied then noe". like that never happens in their town.


message 9: by Adeline (new)

Adeline | 7 comments I think the theme that the author emphasizes is perseverance. I think the author is trying to teacher the readers about never giving up. Lois Lowry showed this when Jonas was on his bike with Gabe and kept going even when there was obstacles. The author states, "...his steps leaden, and he could barely move his freezing, tired legs"( Lowry 223). He faced search planes, starvation, and weather. Jonas didn't give up just because it got hard.


message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Roberts | 7 comments I think the theme of the story is don't let curiosity get the best of you ;I think the author implied the theme by the order of events like how Jonas wanted to see how a releasing is done and how it scares him the fact that his dad killed a new born.Jonas felt different after he found out what pain was seeing a little boy drop dead making him mad how the elders hide those feelings away from the people in the community.When Jonas finds out how releases were done and Gabriel was next to get a releasing Jonas tells the giver that he's leaving the community and bringing Gabriel with him causing them to get stranded in the cold snow.


message 11: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Scott | 8 comments i agree with tram. about the theme of the story the giver.


message 12: by Tram (new)

Tram | 8 comments Veronica wrote: "I think that the author presents the theme that even though there is pain in the human world, the joys of life outweigh the sorrows. A controlled environment defeats the unique traits that make a p..."

I agree with you that when an obstacle presents itself, you must persevere it rather than hide or run because who knows the outcome. Good or Bad?


message 13: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Meyer | 8 comments Throughout the novel a specific theme that was repetitive is “Always respect diversity”. The author uses the theme to get across to the reader on a personal level. When you hear the theme”Always respect diversity”, it connects to the book The Giver really well. An example of the theme is when it says “Three births, and that’s all. After that they are Laborers for the rest of their adult lives, until the day that they enter the House of the Old. Is that what you want, Lily? Three lazy years, and then hard physical labor until you are old(Lowry 21-22)?” This is saying that you need to have the same honor of a job to be respected as the same. When Jonas leaves though he realizes that people need more in their life than just being the same which comes back to “Always respect diversity”.


message 14: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Meyer | 8 comments Pearson wrote: "I think that the theme in which the author emphasized was happiness is way more powerful than the sadness. The controlled community that they live in does not let the people truly live life. What i..."

I get your stance and I do agree with you when you say "happiness is way more powerful than the sadness". It really connects to the book and real life.


message 15: by Luka (new)

Luka | 6 comments i think the book is cruel and too nice because they get pills for immediately pain and babys get killed for being strange and they dont have any bad memories of war blood etc\
]


message 16: by Max (new)

Max Studier | 8 comments I think the theme is about the choices we make and how it could affect our lives. We should have limited amount of choices because too many choices could lead to events such as war or other bad events. Not enough choices would lead to a boring and a not very interesting life. So we need a balance of choices and control.


message 17: by Max (new)

Max Studier | 8 comments Jonathan wrote: "I think the theme of the story is don't let curiosity get the best of you ;I think the author implied the theme by the order of events like how Jonas wanted to see how a releasing is done and how i..."

I agree that we should not be too curious or else you will start to get into things that you should not see.


message 18: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Sullivan | 8 comments I think that the theme the author tries to emphasize to the readers is to be grateful for everything you have. The author showed to be grateful for everything you have by showing how it was miserable and boring to live in their world. In their world your controlled by rules and you don't get to make your own decisions such as who you want to marry and what job you want to have. Jonas said, “Snowflakes.They fall down from the sky, and they’re very beautiful” (Lowry 164). They didn't have snow in their world so when Jonas saw snowflakes he thought they were beautiful. It showed how we have things in our life that others don't and to be grateful for them. There are bad things in our life, but there are so many good ones to be grateful for.


message 19: by Harrison (new)

Harrison | 4 comments I think the author emphasized that there is controlling because they are getting told what to do. Also I think that the author is saying that there would be to much controlling going on and people would not find out what happend long ago.


message 20: by Maielsawy (new)

Maielsawy | 4 comments I think the theme that the author emphasized in the story is chooses I think the author chose that theme to show the reader that how you have so many choices in life that you can make but in the book they don't get to have any choices for example they don't get to wear whatever they want they all wear the same exact thing they don't to get to choose there jobs and also they don't get to choose who they marry they have no choice in life the community chooses everything for them but you get to make your own choices in life no one else chooses it for you.


message 21: by MaHargrave (new)

MaHargrave | 8 comments I think the author emphasized the theme of freewill. The people in the communities have there lives chosen for them from almost the moment they were born. There spouses become assigned, their jobs, children. There is very little choose in the community. Then Jonas comes along and wants to be able to have memories to escape from the sameness. He rebels and the world gains memories, color, the sameness starts to fall and he runs away from the control of the community.


message 22: by MaHargrave (new)

MaHargrave | 8 comments Tad wrote: "The author was emphasizing a theme that depression usually overcome joy and that we must accept it."

How so? I understand the theme but what does it have to do with the book. I don't understand where this is coming from and since there is no citation, I cant compare it to any thing.


message 23: by Tad (last edited Feb 24, 2017 06:19AM) (new)

Tad Kratzer | 7 comments Remember the scene where the main character rode on the the in his vision? He crashed and there was nothing he can do about it. So he had to accept it.

#spoileralert


message 24: by Tad (new)

Tad Kratzer | 7 comments MaHargrave wrote: "Tad wrote: "The author was emphasizing a theme that depression usually overcome joy and that we must accept it."

remember the scene with the sled crash? the main character could not do anything about so he had to accept it.



message 25: by Tad (new)

Tad Kratzer | 7 comments We can't always escape society and sometimes we have to lie for the greater good.


message 26: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Sullivan | 8 comments Gavin wrote: "I think that the theme of the story was that people should live their live even though some parts of it are bad and even terrifying. For example when Jonas was first in training he was having fun w..."

I agree with you that even though there are sad things in our life, we have happiness, and they don’t have any of it. You have to be grateful for all you have even sad things, because in their world they don't have that. Life would be bland without happiness.


message 27: by Adeline (new)

Adeline | 7 comments Brooke wrote: "I think that the theme the author tries to emphasize to the readers is to be grateful for everything you have. The author showed to be grateful for everything you have by showing how it was miserab..."

I agree that the author is trying to tell people to be more grateful. He is trying to convey that we take so many things for granted. The community didn't even get the privilege to see snow.


message 28: by Kiley (new)

Kiley | 4 comments What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?


The author is trying to say is that if we don't question our beliefs or morals we wont advance as a society. The author shows this by saying the giver is the only on that want change and that he will try to help the next generation to advance.


message 29: by Kiley (new)

Kiley | 4 comments Adeline wrote: "Brooke wrote: "I think that the theme the author tries to emphasize to the readers is to be grateful for everything you have. The author showed to be grateful for everything you have by showing how..."

I understand what you are saying but how do they do that, how dose the author show this?


message 30: by Seth (new)

Seth Houselog | 7 comments I think the theme of the story is to respect diversity because if there is none there is no happiness or any emotions. I think he trying to get the point that if people were not different from each other then everyone would be depressed. He did that through by having one person different with emotions and everyone without any.


message 31: by Seth (new)

Seth Houselog | 7 comments Tad wrote: "The author was emphasizing a theme that depression usually overcome joy and that we must accept it."

How does this come from with in the story. There is no evidence of that in the story.


message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Erin, I added another discussion; I hope you don't mind. :)


message 33: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Glekiah | 8 comments The theme that the author emphasized throughout the novel is the importance of an individual and their memories. In the novel it said, "The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared."


message 34: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Glekiah | 8 comments Seth wrote: "I think the theme of the story is to respect diversity because if there is none there is no happiness or any emotions. I think he trying to get the point that if people were not different from each..."

I agree with you. It is also to respect diversity.


message 35: by Luka (new)

Luka | 6 comments the author emphasized sadness throughout the story she is trying to get across the memory too through the characters . The author did this through characters


message 36: by NoHaxJustDiamond (new)

NoHaxJustDiamond | 6 comments Erin wrote: "What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?"

The theme was a dystopian world, the author wants us readers to think this is a perfect world. it did this to make us think this is a normal society for them, when really its not.


back to top