The Giver 2017 discussion

26 views
Post 2: Chapters 6-11

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?


message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica They are believable in their own world. I mean if they lived here, they would be really weird. I can only relate to Jonas, because he actually has real feelings.


message 3: by Pearson (last edited Feb 09, 2017 08:36AM) (new)

Pearson Martin | 7 comments A lot of the characters do not seem real and believable. When the Giver gives bad memories to Jonas , he actually gets hurt in real life. That is not possible because it is just a dream. "Jonas has a sore ankle after the accident" (Lowry, 124). The "accident" was in a memory given to him by the Giver but the pain was in real life. To me that is very unrealistic. I can't relate to their predicaments because they live in a totally different environment than I do. I can relate to Jonas because he is really the only character besides the giver who knows about the real world. He has normal emotions that we feel everyday but the other characters do not. Jonas asked "Do you love me" (Lowry, 127)? to his parents and they said "What do you mean" (Lowry, 127)? They thought that was not precise language. Jonas is really the only person who I can relate to in an extent.


message 4: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Scott | 8 comments I think that the characters are believe able in there world because they are made by people. but in are world they are not very believable. I can not relate to Jonas at all because are world is not so controlled as theirs, and we can see in colors unlike all the other people in the giver (lowry 89). I also think that Jonas and the giver will try and help everyone and give them emotions somehow.


message 5: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Scott | 8 comments I think that Jonas felt pain because the giver was giving him the memory of hurting himself. So it was like Jonas did hurt himself. just like when he skinned his keen.


message 6: by Tad (last edited Feb 10, 2017 06:36AM) (new)

Tad Kratzer | 7 comments oh yes, they are believable because a lot of these events can happen in real life. Jonas was super anxious because the room was quiet. but he began to feel better and was entirely aware now. he is in a dream where he is happy and crystals grow. "the touch of the man's hands seem to have disappeared." (Lowry pg 80).


message 7: by Princess (new)

Princess | 3 comments Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

Yes Jonas seem real and he was believable. i known this because the texts states"there are no choices". that tells that Jonas believe in his self. Jonas reminded me of myself,Because like in the book he never give up on anything that comes his way,that how i'm i do not give up even when people say i can not do it,i always do my best.I think Jonas felt bad about his self and what was going on in his life,Because the giver stress him out.


message 8: by Adeline (new)

Adeline | 7 comments Yes, I do think they seem real and believable because they have feelings just like any of us would. When Jonas first went to the Giver he was nervous just like we would be for our first day of school or work. It states, "What are you going to do sir?' he asked, hoping that his voice didn't betray his nervousness"' (Lowry 100). I think Jonas reminds me of myself because he is the only that actually has feelings besides the Giver. For that reason I can't relate to any of the other characters.


message 9: by MaHargrave (new)

MaHargrave | 8 comments The characters are some what believable. They do feel and think quiet similar than us and act mostly the same. Thou there future and the way they blindly go where the government places them with almost no free will would never happen to the people of today, we are to stubborn and free-willed. Thou I can relate to the way that Jonas has no idea what he is going to do in his future because there are many thinks he would like doing. "He heard nothing that he recognized as himself, Jonas. (Lowry, 66)" Jonas is probably the second most human one there after the Giver.


message 10: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Meyer | 8 comments The characters do seem real and believable. They seem real and believable just because everything they revolve around is by rules and advanced technology. You can’t really relate to their predicaments though just because the timeline is such far away. They have problems that we don’t really have here in our time period. To the extent Mrs. Bortle reminds me of Fiona. They just seem very relatable. Earlier this week Mrs. Bortles son got sick, and she was very worried about him in a worried-mom-mode. That just shows you how kind she is wanting to be by his side to help him out. Fiona is also very kind like her too though when it says, “gently washing a man who lay in warm water(lowry 29).” They just seem very relatable because they are both willing to help, and are very kind.


message 11: by Elijah (last edited Feb 10, 2017 11:46AM) (new)

Elijah Glekiah | 8 comments I believe that the characters in the Giver seem real and believable, but they have a little fictional aspects to them. The characters, such as Jonas and Asher for example, has feelings which can be expressed physically which are believable features in the story. It says that " His mind had shut out all of the earlier emotions: the anticipation, excitement, and pride."(Lowery, 56)This means that he felt down and he wasn't excited no more. This makes the story more believable and it makes it seems real. I can relate to the predicaments because sometimes I can feel that way.


message 12: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Glekiah | 8 comments Veronica wrote: "They are believable in their own world. I mean if they lived here, they would be really weird. I can only relate to Jonas, because he actually has real feelings."

I disagree with your claim. Most of the characters has real emotional feeling that can be believable in the real world. By saying that you can only relate to Jonas because he has actual real feeling is wrong. Look at father for instance, he's a Caretaker who cares for people and he was happy for Jonas when he was assigned the job of the Receiver of Dreams at the table. So there is no reason for saying that you can only relate to Jonas.


message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Roberts | 7 comments The characters in the giver would seem believable in there own environment because of the way they live most of them were thought they same until there graduated into twelve's and they are told the same laws so in there eyes and the people around would believe some what of another person's opinion in the community or there opinion's would not be as different.The people of the community mostly controlled by the elders In the society we live everyone are different no matter if they live together or not most people have completely different opinions but doesn't make them completely different from other people.


message 14: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Sullivan | 8 comments In The Giver the characters seem believable and real, because you can relate to them and some of their feelings. They aren't totally different, because they are human. They are like us how they have jobs and families, but they are just controlled by rules that are very strict. When you read the book you understand and can relate to them. I can relate to Jonas, because he has feelings like me, “But he was more and more apprehensive as his own approached” (Lowry 54). Jonas had feelings about the ceremony and what job he would be assigned. Their world is different so they wouldn't be believable in other circumstances and places, such as our world where they act and are different. I would not believe them if they lived here, just because their world is very different from ours and their behavior would seem strange to me.


message 15: by Tram (new)

Tram | 8 comments In The Giver the characters seem somewhat real and believable, but also somewhat not. My reasoning is because both Jonas and the Giver are capable of feeling as we do, but then again they're the only ones able to feel love, anger, hatred, and comfort in the community. "The man sighed. "I started you with memories of pleasure. My previous failure gave me the wisdom to do that." He took a few deep breaths. "Jonas," he said, "it will be painful. But it need not be painful yet."" (Lowry 85). Although the characters are only moderately realistic and believable there are characters that I can relate to most. The character I feel most, I can relate to is Jonas because he doesn't crave attention. For instance, as he's single out as the new Receiver he is rather uncomfortable and prefers to blend in with his faction. ""I accept your apology," Jonas replied shakily. "Please come to the stage now." Earlier that day, dressing in his own dwelling, he had practiced the kind of jaunty, self-assured walk that he hoped he could make to the stage when his turn came. All of that was forgotten now. He simply willed himself to stand, to move his feet that felt weighted and clumsy, to go forward, up the steps and across the platform until he stood at her side..........."Jonas has not been assigned," she informed the crowd, and his heart sank." (Lowry 60). Nevertheless, I'm able relate how Jonas is feeling, but not suited to put myself in his predicament of having the world on my shoulders.


message 16: by Abass (last edited Feb 14, 2017 08:26AM) (new)

Abass M. | 4 comments "No, I don't think they seem real or believable because they do not see color and they don't have a sens of feeling like we do. But the Elders who are in control of their community knows more then the people in their world. And they all take's the Giver to be someone spacial, but he do not really take part or talk to anyone in their community.
"Yes, i can relate to their predicaments because they are force to get a career job at the age of twelve. but in our world twelve year old can't work or be force to do something they do not want to do beside go to school, to become someone for themselves in the future...
It remind me of some country being ruled by one person, and they can do what ever they want to do and no one can not stop...


message 17: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Meyer | 8 comments Adeline wrote: "Yes, I do think they seem real and believable because they have feelings just like any of us would. When Jonas first went to the Giver he was nervous just like we would be for our first day of scho..."

I also agree that the characters are believable because they have feeling just as we do. Your stance makes sense too of what we would also be like on our first day of school.


message 18: by MaHargrave (new)

MaHargrave | 8 comments Abass wrote: "The book Giver does not seem real, but the Elders who are in control of their community knows more then the people in their world."

Why don't they seem real? While, yes, the Elders do know more then the people everyone else still has very similar feeling to us and they act relatively the same. Your not quite giving enough information for me to form an opinion. But from what I can see I think you have a fair point.


message 19: by Seth (new)

Seth Houselog | 7 comments The book Giver does not seem real because they are control a lot and nobody complains about it. There has never been a time in the world where the rules are so strict and nobody rebels are disagrees with it.


message 20: by Erika (new)

Erika | 3 comments no because they have no feelings and they are way to organized. they are also not believable because they have assigned things. I can't relate to there problems because they are living in a whole different world.


message 21: by NoHaxJustDiamond (new)

NoHaxJustDiamond | 6 comments The character's in the story do not seem reliable because people are mostly organized. People cannot choose who they wanna be when they grow up, kids get there jobs when there 12! i don't know anyone (except myself xD) that works for $ when they are 12. in conclusion i never met anyone that could be as organized as this community is.


message 22: by Seth (new)

Seth Houselog | 7 comments Veronica wrote: "They are believable in their own world. I mean if they lived here, they would be really weird. I can only relate to Jonas, because he actually has real feelings."

I disagree because other characters have feelings not Jonas.


message 23: by Harrison (new)

Harrison | 4 comments I do think that the charterers are real. But the thing is that the serimony for when they find out there jobs is weird because they dont get to choice there job the elders do it for them. None of the charterers remind me of anyone


message 24: by Maielsawy (new)

Maielsawy | 4 comments The characters don't seem real or believable because they don't see colors and when the giver showed him that memory he was actually hurting which doesn't seem real because when you dream of something you don't feel pain and also the community is way to organized and they basically choose everything for you and they don't have feelings which makes it more unbelievable cause everyone has feelings and emotions.


message 25: by Abass (new)

Abass M. | 4 comments Jonathan wrote: "The characters in the giver would seem believable in there own environment because of the way they live most of them were thought they same until there graduated into twelve's and they are told the..."

I agree because their world is different from our's, and you had some good answer.. But you did not use you punctuation marks like; period, and comma, in the right spot. But nice job on your answer.....


message 26: by NoHaxJustDiamond (new)

NoHaxJustDiamond | 6 comments Abass wrote: ""No, I don't think they seem real or believable because they do not see color and they don't have a sens of feeling like we do. But the Elders who are in control of their community knows more then ..." Well in real life Abass, people are colorblind to some colors, so in reality there could be a chance where they seem believable in real life.


message 27: by Adeline (new)

Adeline | 7 comments Brooke wrote: "In The Giver the characters seem believable and real, because you can relate to them and some of their feelings. They aren't totally different, because they are human. They are like us how they hav..."
I agree that the characters seem real and believable because they have feelings like any of us would. I think you are right that if they lived here they would seem fake because their world is so much different than ours. Jonas too reminds me of myself because he has feelings like me.


message 28: by Pearson (new)

Pearson Martin | 7 comments Maielsawy wrote: "The characters don't seem real or believable because they don't see colors and when the giver showed him that memory he was actually hurting which doesn't seem real because when you dream of someth..."

Adeline wrote: "Yes, I do think they seem real and believable because they have feelings just like any of us would. When Jonas first went to the Giver he was nervous just like we would be for our first day of scho..."
I don't agree with you, The characters do not seem real and believable. It is so unrealistic how almost everyone in the communtiy does not have feelings. Also the part how the characters can not see colors is not believable either. Jonas and the giver have feelings but none of Jonas's friends or family members do. I feel that a lot of the characters do not seem real at all but that's just my opinion.


message 29: by Tram (new)

Tram | 8 comments Elijah wrote: "I believe that the characters in the Giver seem real and believable, but they have a little fictional aspects to them. The characters, such as Jonas and Asher for example, has feelings which can be..."

I agree with you that the characters seem somewhat real and believable because your able to relate to them, but they also have fictional aspects to them.


message 30: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Sullivan | 8 comments Adeline wrote: "Yes, I do think they seem real and believable because they have feelings just like any of us would. When Jonas first went to the Giver he was nervous just like we would be for our first day of scho..."

I agree with you that the story and characters seem believable. I also can compare myself with Jonas, however, I do not agree with you that Jonas and the giver are the only ones who have feelings. When a twelve named Inger received her assignment as birthmother she was smiling when she went to her seat. It shows that she was happy and that others have emotions too.


message 31: by Max (new)

Max Studier | 8 comments I think the characters are believable because I can compare myself to some of the characters. like Asher I don't take things serious and often mess around. They have a believable environment and they ride bikes witch almost everyone can relate to.


message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Elijah wrote: "Veronica wrote: "They are believable in their own world. I mean if they lived here, they would be really weird. I can only relate to Jonas, because he actually has real feelings."

I disagree with ..."


That's true...except that in the book Jonas says that he realizes that nobody is really feeling real feelings of joy, sadness, etc. because the environment is so controlled. When the Giver gives memories to Jonas, Jonas is able to feel natural human feelings that he was not able to feel before. The concept is confusing, but I think that they are saying that only Jonas feels independent feelings of a natural human being, while the other characters feel subdued feelings. For instance, when Jonas's "father" releases the sick baby, and Jonas watches it, his father does not feel upset about it, but Jonas feels desperate feelings of pity, regret, and wanting to save the child. What you are saying is correct, but I think that the members of the community (with the exceptions of the Giver and Jonas) feel subdued feelings that aren't altogether "natural".


message 33: by Veronica (new)

Veronica NoHaxJustDiamond wrote: "Abass wrote: ""No, I don't think they seem real or believable because they do not see color and they don't have a sens of feeling like we do. But the Elders who are in control of their community kn..."

I think that you are right in stating that it could be metaphorical. But in literal terms, I think it is hard to relate to the characters that do not see color and do not wish to have control over their own lives. They seem happy to follow the rules because they have never known anything else, which is different from our world (in some ways:), and can be hard to believe because it is not similar to our world. So I think, metaphorically speaking, the community members are believable, but literally speaking, they are not very easy to relate to. Don't get me wrong...I love the concept of The Giver...it is one of my favorite books and a very interesting book to discuss BECAUSE it is so different from life as we know it.


message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Pearson wrote: "A lot of the characters do not seem real and believable. When the Giver gives bad memories to Jonas , he actually gets hurt in real life. That is not possible because it is just a dream. "Jonas has..."

I think you put that very well. I agree.


message 35: by Carter (last edited Feb 21, 2017 10:02AM) (new)

Carter Tuttle | 3 comments i think Jonas is the most real and believable because he is getting memories and he feels things like sunburn so that what makes me think hes the most believable. and it dose not remind me of eny one I know.


message 36: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Roberts | 7 comments I disagree with your opinion the characters are living physical beings
In the story.


message 37: by Luka (new)

Luka | 6 comments The characters do seem real and believable because there are like us .They are like us because they are human beings The remind me of when someone in a movie fights to make something right but it doesn't happen .


message 38: by Max (new)

Max Studier | 8 comments Jonathan wrote: "The characters in the giver would seem believable in there own environment because of the way they live most of them were thought they same until there graduated into twelve's and they are told the..."
I agree they eat, sleep, work, they age. They are human they don't have any alien like features so I think they are believable.


back to top