The Giver 2017 discussion

33 views
Post 1: Chapters 1-5

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Post 1: What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?


message 2: by Pearson (new)

Pearson Martin | 7 comments What is unique about the setting is it is in a civilization where the people are living in place controlled by rules. If they break the rules two times they will be released into the outside world. The citizens don't get to pick what they want to do later in life, They are assigned jobs such as birth giver and speaker. The People don't get to travel out of their district. It is a Place in which a committee has control. They make rules and nobody knows who all the committee members are. So far it is an interesting book but i want to find out where the people who get released go.


message 3: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Scott | 8 comments what is unique about the setting in the giver. the setting is unique because of how controlled the town is like how the committee picks ever thing that kids do and how baby's just go to different family. I think that the committee is hiding a secret and the giver is in it somehow. I am also interested to know if there is like nations in the giver not just small towns. an example of how controlled the town is '' Then all citizens had been ordered to go into the nearest building and stay there. IMMEDIATELY, LEAVE YOUR BIKES WERE THEY ARE. obediently Jonas had dropped his bike on its side''. (lowry 3)


message 4: by Brooke (last edited Feb 07, 2017 11:53AM) (new)

Brooke Sullivan | 8 comments The setting in the book The Giver is unique, because the people of the community are controlled by people called the Committee of Elders. They are monitored, and there are strict rules about what the people can and can not do. Jonas the main character in the book said, "But it's the Ceremony that I'm apprehensive about" (Lowry 11). When the people become a twelve they get assigned a job by the Committee. People can also be released from the community as elders or as punishment. The setting enhances the story, because their community is a lot different than here and takes place in the future. It shows a different way of living. I would not want to live there, because there are too many rules limiting what you can do.


message 5: by Tad (last edited Feb 07, 2017 06:23AM) (new)

Tad Kratzer | 7 comments The setting for the book is unique because it takes place in December near an airport somewhere in the not-so-distant future. there is an airplane that flies around the town. there is a ceremony that's coming up. "it was the ceremony of twelve." (Lowry pg 14).


message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika | 3 comments How is the setting unique? The setting in the giver is unique because you don't get to choose anything that you do. Your jobs are picked, what kind of baby you have. The only time they release you from this community is if your punished or elderly.


message 7: by Adeline (new)

Adeline | 7 comments The setting in the book The Giver is unique, because it is based in the future and the Committee of Elders try to make it the world a utopia. The community is controlled by the Committee of Elders and they have very strict rules for the community to follow. The author shows that it is a utopia when he states, "Two children-one male, one female-to each family unit" (Lowry 11). Each set of parents are given a boy and a girl. The setting shows that the world is a utopia. Yes the setting does enhance the story because it shows that it is in the future and the Committee of elders try to make the world perfect.


message 8: by Maielsawy (new)

Maielsawy | 4 comments The setting in the book The Giver is unique, because it's in the future and all the people in the community are controlled by the committee of elders. They don't get to choose what job they want or who there children are.


message 9: by Dione (new)

Dione | 1 comments they lots of rules


message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica The people live in a "community" that is carefully controlled by the Committee of Elders. The people cannot see colors or experience real feelings, and thus are very shallow and gullible. The setting adds to this book (it actually makes the book what it is, in my opinion), because it draws the reader in. The reader becomes curious about life in this futuristic world. When Jonas's abilities are contrasted with the other people in the community, the reader is further drawn into the story.


message 11: by Luka (new)

Luka | 6 comments the setting is unique because ..... each person has a certain role and they must follow it when you turn 8 you get a bike and when you turn 11 you get your role which is decided for you . You cant change your role is decided by the elders Jonas has stirrings in which he might have to take pills.


message 12: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Glekiah | 8 comments The setting of The Giver is unique. It's unique because it is set in the future and the citizens in the community are mostly the same. In the book it says, "... each person has a certain role." This means that everyone helps out in the community and at different ages, till the age twelve, gets the same thing. In addition, the Caring Center is something unique about the book too.


message 13: by Abass (last edited Feb 07, 2017 08:40AM) (new)

Abass M. | 4 comments The setting of the Giver is very unique, because the community that they live in is lead by the Ruler that no one can't see in person, and this made their community dystopian. Everyone in their society obeys their law exactly how it is made, and they have laws for new born baby's that tell's if the baby is fit in their community, which would not happen in the world today. They all do not have feelings and they do not see colors. The place they live in is called a Community, and their houses are called Dwellings. The community is very strict and uniform. And the Giver is the very important person because he tell them what to do.


message 14: by Tram (last edited Feb 06, 2017 04:03PM) (new)

Tram | 8 comments The setting of The Giver is unique because it takes place in a "Community," but also sets in a futuristic utopia. Although it may seem perfect, it's really a place where people are controlled like puppets. For instance, each person is authorized a certain role to play in society by the committee. Not only do they get assigned to a certain task, but they also have to get approved to have a family. If the rules are not followed you'll be released, but there are also a non-punishment release, such as an elderly celebrating his or her life and a new-child who has not developed properly according to the "Community's" standards. The setting is not only different, but it also enhances the story by the difference in humanity and a way of living.


message 15: by Luka (new)

Luka | 6 comments Elijah wrote: "The setting of The Giver is unique. It's unique because it is set in the future and the citizens in the community are mostly the same. In the book it says, "... each person has a certain role." Thi..."
if you were in the giver what would you want to be your role


message 16: by Max (new)

Max Studier | 8 comments The setting of The Giver takes place in the future in a community with strict rules. It's a very unique setting because it's not how we function in today's society. I think it enhances the story because it's different from any other book I have ever read.


message 17: by Max (new)

Max Studier | 8 comments Abass wrote: "The setting of the Giver is very unique, because the community that they live in is lead by the Ruler that no one can't see in person, and this made their community dystopian. Everyone in their soc..."

I agree with that it's a dystopian society because I would hate to live in a community where there are many rules and someone is always telling me what to do.


message 18: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Meyer | 8 comments The setting of the story, The Giver, is unique because you live in this perfect world run by strict rules.  Even though you might think it would be amazing to live in a world where you can only make so many mistakes, it would be not at all enjoyable. This impacts the setting because it shows you how strict the community really is. This would create a miserable place to live. You can get released into a world unknown for too many mistakes or if you choose to leave. For example, when a pilot made a mistake with navigation a voice had said, " Needless to say, he will be released (Lowry 1)." Overall the setting just enhances the story by giving it more of a mysterious feeling of why citizens are released, and makes you want to keep reading it.


message 19: by Kiley (new)

Kiley | 1 comments What is unique about the setting of the book and how it advances the plot. The setting is very unique by how things operate and the way they govern. I find it interesting because in the book the moment you are born your life is already planed out. You are assigned a partner and you are given a child at random. Everyone is also segregate by age. that is what makes it unique.


message 20: by Pearson (new)

Pearson Martin | 7 comments Mallory wrote: "The setting of the story, The Giver, is unique because you live in this perfect world run by strict rules.  Even though you might think it would be amazing to live in a world where you can only mak..."

Mallory wrote: "The setting of the story, The Giver, is unique because you live in this perfect world run by strict rules.  Even though you might think it would be amazing to live in a world where you can only mak..."

Gavin wrote: "what is unique about the setting in the giver. the setting is unique because of how controlled the town is like how the committee picks ever thing that kids do and how baby's just go to different f..."

I totally agree with you. People may think it is a great place to live but it really is not. The committee is hiding so much from the people in the community and I don't understand why. The example you used about the pilot is a great example. I think it is wrong that he is released from the community for making one small mistake. Nobody is perfect and nobody should be, I would never want to live in such a controlled environment like this. They should really change the lifestyle that the people are given.


message 21: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Scott | 8 comments I think that the committee is not hiding anything. They just does not know anything. and dont know anything else but control so they are trying to keep it.


message 22: by MaHargrave (new)

MaHargrave | 8 comments The setting of the Giver is unique in the way that the story takes place in a world without flaw and without crime. The way the world functions is in perfect sync and unity, everyone gets a job, spouses are assigned, children are placed in certain homes. The society is only given what they 'need', one daughter, one son, a bike for travel. No one who is different is allowed like with the child who isn't growing up fast enough in chapter one, "He is a sweet little male with a lovely disposition. But he isn't growing as fast as he should, and doesn't sleep soundly. We have him in extra care section for supplementary nurturing, but the committee's beginning to talk about releasing him. (Lowry, 9)" This society is something that always seems to go wrong, almost all dystopian book goes this way. I think this society will never work, it will fall to chaos like every other book I have read.


message 23: by MaHargrave (new)

MaHargrave | 8 comments Kiley wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book and how it advances the plot. The setting is very unique by how things operate and the way they govern. I find it interesting because in the book the mo..."

This is all true and I understand it Kiley, though your jobs are not planned right when you were born. They are planned as the government watches you and studies you as you live your life. Just say, other than that I can agree with you comment fully.


message 24: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Glekiah | 8 comments Abass wrote: "The setting of the Giver is very unique, because the community that they live in is lead by the Ruler that no one can't see in person, and this made their community dystopian. Everyone in their soc..."

I agree with your answer. But as shown in the book, the Giver is not the person who tells the citizens what to do. He's the receiver of dreams.


message 25: by Seth (new)

Seth Houselog | 7 comments What is unique about the Giver. The Giver setting is unique because the committee controls everything. Nobody knows who they are. Its interesting because you have your hole life planned out when you are born. They are divided by there age but when they turn 12 it does not matter.


message 26: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Roberts | 7 comments The setting of the giver is very unique ,because of the way they control there community;They assign different baby's to unit family that wish they had another child and have ceremony's that take place when someone is either released or gets older.The some rules in the utopia they live are mostly unforced by given an warning but most laws were broken without punishment depending on the law they have broken if they have done it multiple types they would have been released but it rarely happiness.When elevens turn into twelves they going into adulthood and assign jobs.


message 27: by NoHaxJustDiamond (new)

NoHaxJustDiamond | 6 comments The setting of the Giver was unique because it was set in the future that was very bland because people can't see color, the whole city is black and white to there eyes, making an eerie feeling to the people who lived in the community.


message 28: by Harrison (new)

Harrison | 4 comments I like the book so far the setting seams strange on how people are the same but it enhances the book by being so controlled and monitored unlike us.


message 29: by Adeline (new)

Adeline | 7 comments Mallory wrote: "The setting of the story, The Giver, is unique because you live in this perfect world run by strict rules.  Even though you might think it would be amazing to live in a world where you can only mak..."
I agree with you that a world with so many rules and regulations like this place has would not be a fun place to live. I agree about how all the rules make the story mysterious. I think the idea of being released also contributes to the mood and the feeling of the story.


message 30: by Carter (new)

Carter Tuttle | 3 comments The setting takes place in the future on earth in December i know this because it says it on page (Lowry, 18). i think the giver so far is a good book. I feel like the title really represents the story. Also i think the setting is going to affect the story a lot because it's in the future.


message 31: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Meyer | 8 comments Brooke wrote: "The setting in the book The Giver is unique, because the people of the community are controlled by people called the Committee of Elders. They are monitored, and there are strict rules about what t..."

I agree with you that it would be different to live in that future instead of this time period. It would be so strange to have so many strict rules to follow.


message 32: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Sullivan | 8 comments Mallory wrote: "The setting of the story, The Giver, is unique because you live in this perfect world run by strict rules.  Even though you might think it would be amazing to live in a world where you can only mak..."

I agree with you that it would not be enjoyable to live there. They are controlled by so many rules that they do not have their own freedom to make their own decisions. They can’t choose a family, choose their job, and many other things. They have too many rules trying to make a perfect world. It would make life there very boring and I definitely would not want to live there.


message 33: by Tram (new)

Tram | 8 comments Abass wrote: "The setting of the Giver is very unique, because the community that they live in is lead by the Ruler that no one can't see in person, and this made their community dystopian. Everyone in their soc..."
I disagree with you that the community is lead by a ruler that no one has ever met because during the Ceremony of Twelve the Chief of Elder was performing the ceremony.


message 34: by Seth (new)

Seth Houselog | 7 comments Maielsawy wrote: "The setting in the book The Giver is unique, because it's in the future and all the people in the community are controlled by the committee of elders. They don't get to choose what job they want or..."

Make it longer next time and more detail.


message 35: by Kiley (new)

Kiley | 4 comments MaHargrave wrote: "The setting of the Giver is unique in the way that the story takes place in a world without flaw and without crime. The way the world functions is in perfect sync and unity, everyone gets a job, sp..."

If the child dose not develop as fast where do they go?


message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Kiley wrote: "MaHargrave wrote: "The setting of the Giver is unique in the way that the story takes place in a world without flaw and without crime. The way the world functions is in perfect sync and unity, ever..."

Have you finished the book yet? I don't want to spoil anything for you...but the book will tell you where they go.


back to top