Horror Aficionados discussion

Carter & Lovecraft (Carter & Lovecraft, #1)
This topic is about Carter & Lovecraft
Audio Group Listens > February 2017 Group Listen Winner: CARTER & LOVECRAFT , by Jonathan L. Howard

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5834 comments Mod
Carter & Lovecraft by Jonathan L. Howard CARTER & LOVECRAFT, by Jonathan L. Howard won our February 2017 Group Listen poll. This is the place for discussion! Please remember to use spoiler tags, page numbers, chapters, or percentage read. Have fun!

message 2: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (sarafina1977) | 28 comments Nice! I'm loving getting back to audiobooks...great way to spend my commute. :)

Greg | 360 comments Wouldn't have been my first choice as I have a hard time getting drawn into the writing style that usually goes hand and hand with the mythos but I'm willing to give it a shot. Hopefully it's easier to follow audibly. Though other than At the Mountains of Madness I haven't read much more that a few novellas and short stories.

I'm going to finish up Sacred and then I'll get started on it probably this weekend or early next week.

Latasha (latasha513) | 10835 comments Mod
I'm joining in for this one. I've read both group reads before.

message 5: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Tenuto | 44 comments I'll have to look into getting audio books or at least the library - as it stands, getting Kindle versions is proving to be almost as expensive as the hard copy versions...

Greg | 360 comments Ok I got to spend some time with this today and made it to chapter 12. Thankfully the story is quite accessible, not requiring you to be an eager prophet of the great old ones to enjoy the story. While the story isn't running at a full tilt boogie it's holding my interest and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Ari Fliakos is a serviceable narrator. I've listened to him once before in the latest Nicholas Sparks Novel Two By Two. Don't judge :P In this particular novel the dialog and his voice combined remind me of Randall the lovable video jockey from Kevin Smith's Clerks film. I'm curious to see if anyone else hears a resemblance.

I'll continue to add my input as I progress.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

I've never done an audio group read, but this title really captures my attention...

Greg | 360 comments Good deal alert

Amazon.com has Robert McCammons Swan Song for 23 cents add audible for 4$

Lena | 2424 comments Just borrowed this from the library audible section!

message 10: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments Started early. My Classics reads have been disappointing, I needed a change.

message 11: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica Shawcroft | 22 comments Ok I'm picking up the audiobook from Audible and will begin listening. I've never done a group listen before so this will be interesting.

message 12: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Tenuto | 44 comments I would like to listen, but if I can't find an audio copy this still seems an intriguing book - will it be okay if I read a hard copy version?

message 13: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg | 360 comments Please do Pete. I've listened to audio books for the regular group reads so What's the harm. You just won't be able to comment on the narrator no biggie

message 14: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Tenuto | 44 comments Cool, thanks for clearing that up Greg.

message 15: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments There's a bookstore in it!

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Greg wrote: "Please do Pete. I've listened to audio books for the regular group reads so What's the harm. You just won't be able to comment on the narrator no biggie "

That's a great idea--I may join in with a book read, too--honestly, the only difference is no narrator.

message 17: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg | 360 comments The only possible difference would be if it was abridged and I won't be voting for any abridged versions that's for sure.

message 18: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica Shawcroft | 22 comments I'm at chapter 5; I'm surprised by much I like it. I was expecting one of those typical paranormal adventures to be found everywhere these days but (so far) this one owes more to Raymond Chandler than, say, Jim Butcher but there could be some parallels to Charles Stross's Laundry Files series (also has a Lovecraftian slant) but the tone is different, IMO.

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments 47% in. I think I've missed something about Colt. I feel as frustrated as Carter.

message 20: by Greg (last edited Jan 29, 2017 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg | 360 comments What in particular Lena? I'm about 73%. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 29, 2017 04:03PM) (new)

FOR SPOILERS: (kind of difficult to show without actually using them...) < spoiler > words words words < /spoiler >
Do NOT include the space between the < and the word "spoiler". I just added those so that it would show up. :)

message 22: by Greg (last edited Jan 29, 2017 04:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg | 360 comments Sorry, I edited it. the mobile app is not as user friendly as the regular site

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Greg wrote: "Sorry, I edited it. the mobile app is not as user friendly as the regular site"

No problem! It took me several times before I caught onto how to do it the right way. (I think I did it differently each time....LOL!)

message 24: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments I guess I don't understand how he freaked out Lovecraft with his odd rant on the dewey decimal system. It was more than just a man/woman thing. I also don't know what his motive is or what he has to do with the original murder. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments 62% in. OK I get some of what Colt does and why he freaked out Lovecraft but still not his motivation. Still my question on the Weight women stands.

message 26: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg | 360 comments Yes there origin is still a mystery. My thought is they might be connected to (view spoiler)

message 27: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg | 360 comments Crap I'm sorry I wasn't supposed to finish before February

message 28: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments 93% in. "And Colt destroyed the world." You wouldn't think the story would go on after a sentence like that.

message 29: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments 98% in. "The world had ended and now he'd had an omelette."

message 30: by Lena (last edited Jan 31, 2017 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments I just finished too Greg. I loved it!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

What an ending!

I'm training anew person at work so it will be a few weeks before I can begin.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Latasha wrote: "I'm training anew person at work so it will be a few weeks before I can begin."

No worries--we have the entire month! I'm ordering a "print" copy, so I won't be starting for at least a couple of weeks, myself....

Andrew Sydlik | 45 comments Up to chapter 11, "The Terrible Young Man." Wasn't sure what to expect from this. I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, and enjoy many "mythos" writings. Even when not well-written, I enjoy them if they have interesting takes on Lovecraft's ideas.

However, the writing isn't very Lovecraftian. More noir than mythos, although the strange deaths add a great twist. I like Carter as a P.I.: he shares many of the no-nonsense, single man rogue qualities of a traditional dick, but differs enough not to be a cliche. I like his interactions with Emily, and how she fills him on Lovecraft lore (particularly liked how she surprised him by telling him that Randolph Carter was a recurring character in Lovecraft's works).

Although a minor point, I also love the chapter titles being plays on Lovecraft stories. Things like that always give me a little thrill of pleasure.

I'm not sure where this is going, and hope the resolution doesn't let me down. I'm not sure yet how the child killings, bookstore, the mathematician, and gambling are all connected, but I'm a little nervous it's all going to be a bit muddled. Still, the mystery has me wanting more, and I have to force myself to hit the stop button so as not to sit up to the crack of dawn listening to the end.

Andrew Sydlik | 45 comments Although I'm going by the audiobook, I'm guessing that the family the novel refers to is the Waites (not Weights), assuming it is a reference to Ephraim and Asenath Waite in The Thing on the Doorstep by Lovecraft. A. E. Waite was also a mystic and scholar of magic and the occult.

*high five* I doubt I would've caught that.

message 36: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments Great catch Andrew!

message 37: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 896 comments I'm reading it, as I saw the title and got a library copy before noticing it was a group listen. Hope it's OK if I chime in.

message 38: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2424 comments Always! This was a good one.

Andrew Sydlik | 45 comments Almost done, 7 hours in. Some interesting stuff....The tone certainly changes from straight-up noir, but still not to Lovecraftian horror. Not sure what to call it. It kind of reminds me of Stephen King's recent Bill Hodges trilogy, as that also blends detective fiction with supernatural/paranormal/horror elements, though this obviously draws on a deeper sort of mythology behind it.

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg | 360 comments slight ending spoiler

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 127 comments I'm about half way through (chapter 17) and I'm really enjoying it. It has a horror-lite feel to it that reminds me of the old Kolchak: The Night Stalker TV series. I can actually see this as a TV series.

One of the things I particularly like bout the book is that it doesn't lionize H.P. Lovecraft but portrays him as the marginally talented racist that he was. The only thing he had going for him is that he created a mythos that has served as a framework that more talented authors to capitalize on. I particularly liked that Emily is a person of color. I cracked up when I read this line.
“Actually, this”— she pinched the skin on the back of her hand—“ would have killed him, too. H. P. L. was all about racial purity. If he only knew one of his descendants had fallen in love with a black girl. Truly, I would give serious money to see how he would’ve reacted. ‘Why, what’s all this spinning noise coming out of this coffin? Hi, Great-Great-Uncah Howard, I’m Emily. We’re family. Yay!’ ‘Ohmagawd! A mulatto! A mongrel! My precious genes!

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Starting the audiobook today!

message 43: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 127 comments I finished it yesterday. I really enjoyed it. There is something about books that talk about other books and authors that I really enjoy. This book mentions The Moving Toyshop a book that I bought a few years ago and still haven't read. I may have to correct that.

Here is my review. I really hope this turns out to be the first book in a series.

I finished this yesterday too. I really liked it!

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) WOW! Terrific story, and the audiobook narrator Ari Fliakos is great!

The chapter titles made me giggle.

Linda I absolutely loved this book and I'm so glad I found this group. I really hope this is the first in a series!