Horror Aficionados discussion

Sweetheart, Sweetheart
This topic is about Sweetheart, Sweetheart
Group Reads > FEBRUARY Group Read Winner #2--SWEETHEART, SWEETHEART, by Bernard Taylor

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 23, 2017 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5734 comments Mod
Sweetheart, Sweetheart by Bernard Taylor SWEETHEART, SWEETHEART, by Bernard Taylor won second place in our February Group Read polls. This is the place for discussion! Please remember to use spoiler tags, page numbers, chapters, or percentage read. Have fun!

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Yay, I already own this one so can use it for the tbr challenges too :)

message 3: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) | 101 comments I'm looking forward to participating in this group read.

I'll definitely be re-reading this one, myself!

message 5: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate | 3520 comments I might try and join for this. :)

message 6: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (sarafina1977) | 28 comments Cool! I may grab this as well!

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments This is such a great book, enjoy everyone!

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Argh, I've been wanting to read this for ages, but I'm so swamped right now. Maybe I can sneak it in later in the month...

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I just bought my copy. Let's do this!

Robert wrote: "Argh, I've been wanting to read this for ages, but I'm so swamped right now. Maybe I can sneak it in later in the month..."

You MUST read this one! (LOL--it made my "Top Books Read" list the year Valancourt re-released it). I may sneak it out a day or two early . . . ;)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Kimberly wrote: "Robert wrote: "Argh, I've been wanting to read this for ages, but I'm so swamped right now. Maybe I can sneak it in later in the month..."

You MUST read this one! (LOL--it made my "Top Books Read"..."

I know, I know! :-) Hey, there's an audiobook, and probably because I own the Kindle edition, it's 2 bucks! Is that cheating?

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Weird, I thought I had added one more sentence to that last post with a question: has anyone listened to the audiobook? I hate to "read" a really good book that way if it turns out the narrator is bad and it ruins the experience, There were good comments about the narrator, but the number of reviews overall was pretty small.

message 13: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva I'd like to join as well. Bought the book recently and have already started it ...kind of jumped the gun, but after seeing all the raving reviews I'm really eager to read it.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Eva wrote: "I'd like to join as well. Bought the book recently and have already started it ...kind of jumped the gun, but after seeing all the raving reviews I'm really eager to read it."

I started it this morning thinking it was already February. So far it's settling in nicely.

Char  | 13721 comments Mod
I loved this book so much! I hope everyone here loves it too. :)

Robert, I have not listened to the audio of this one.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Robert wrote: "Weird, I thought I had added one more sentence to that last post with a question: has anyone listened to the audiobook? I hate to "read" a really good book that way if it turns out the narrator is ..."

I'm enjoying the narrator. His voice suits the mood of the story perfectly.

I've officially started my re-read! (Yes, I "pretended" it was February a day early.....) ;)

message 18: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva Loving it up to now (chapter 6)! Such a strong sense of foreboding! Every detail seems important for the bigger picture. But the style is almost a bit old-fashioned - or is it just me? For some reason I started picturing everything as if it is taking place around 1900. Well, my mental imagery came to a screeching halt when I read about one of the characters wearing a pair of jeans!

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I think it takes place in what was modern times (the 70's?) when it was originally written. Love the references to "phone boxes". Do you young'ens know what those are?

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I did decide to go ahead with it. Seriously, at 2 bucks, there's really no risk. :-)

I just started this morning, and didn't get far, but so far I like what I've heard of the narrator. The comment about every detail being important worries me a little, because it is impossible for me to not miss things when listening to an audiobook. Have to hope for the best.

Isn't a phone box the packaging for your cellphone? :-)

message 21: by Laurie (last edited Feb 02, 2017 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Ha, I do think that is the correct answer :) If you ask my kids, anyway.

Uh oh, I might be in trouble if I need to remember every little detail as well!

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments I'll be starting this as soon as I finish my current read. I can't wait!

Latasha (latasha513) | 10683 comments Mod
my kindle copy is lendable if anyone wants to borrow it. just send me a message with your e-mail.

Latasha (latasha513) | 10683 comments Mod
I liked this one but I won't be joining in. it would be a re-read for me and I just have too many waiting in line. I need to stop being lazy and get on it!

Matthew Bielawa | -51 comments Even though I just read this a couple years ago, I can't pass up the opportunity of a group read of, can I really say this, my favorite book. I know that our horror lit has many styles and sub-genres, so much variety that there's something for everyone...and some things not to everyone's liking. But Sweetheart Sweetheart just hits me at a gut level. Here I am re-reading it and again realizing how Bernard Taylor's voice and near perfect pitch and sense of dread is my kind of horror. I like many styles and authors, but this story really grabs a hold of me.

So, pushed to the side momentarily are the zombies, collapsing civilizations, and shocking monsters and cosmic old ones. I'm taking a deep breath and reading Taylor slowly to savor the dread. At chapter 5 I'm thinking...God I love this book.

Matthew wrote: "Even though I just read this a couple years ago, I can't pass up the opportunity of a group read of, can I really say this, my favorite book. I know that our horror lit has many styles and sub-genr..."

This one, and Michael McDowell's THE ELEMENTALS are probably my top two favorites right now. As you said, this one just "hits at a gut level". My second read of it, as well, and it was just as "perfect", to me, in tone as it was the first time. :)

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I just finished the elementals back in November. It was really, really good. If this is anything like that, I'm not even more excited. I am starting our book tonight. Haven't had a chance to begin until now.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments How's everyone doing on this one? I just finished it up. I've been looking for a creepy haunted house story, read 2 books that made me that promise and mostly failed, and finally found success with this book.

Oooooo, that ending! Classically dreadful. I loved it :)

Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "How's everyone doing on this one? I just finished it up. I've been looking for a creepy haunted house story, read 2 books that made me that promise and mostly failed, and finally found success with..."

The ending stayed with me so long, the first time I read it I went back and added a star to my review!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I'm at chapter 10, maybe a quarter of the way through. So far, I can see where the haunted stuff is beginning to come from, but it reads almost entirely like an unsolved murder mystery. I'm sticking with it through. Many of my favorite scary books have been a slow burn.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I'm so bad at mysteries. I wouldn't have guessed the outcome of this one if you gave me a million tries!

Char  | 13721 comments Mod
Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "How's everyone doing on this one? I just finished it up. I've been looking for a creepy haunted house story, read 2 books that made me that promise and mostly failed, and finally found success with..."

Yay! Glad you liked it. :)

message 33: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva Finished it last night! All of the slow build-up was definitely rewarded with that ending!! Loved the whole book, not what I had expected at all. (view spoiler)

Eva wrote: "Finished it last night! All of the slow build-up was definitely rewarded with that ending!! Loved the whole book, not what I had expected at all. so, a haunted house with benefits, wink, wink :) f..."
(view spoiler)

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I'm at the midway point. About 50% done. I still think it's a bit of a slow burn. As I said before, many of my favorite scary books were slow burns. So, I'm chugging along. Been so busy lately it's hard to find the time. If anyone here has a few extra hours they can mail me, that would be awesome. ;-)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments I started it this afternoon; I'm about 10% in so far. Really enjoying it.

Andrew wrote: "I'm at the midway point. About 50% done. I still think it's a bit of a slow burn. As I said before, many of my favorite scary books were slow burns. So, I'm chugging along. Been so busy lately it's..."

LOL! No extra hours, unfortunately. It is a slow burn, but with a tremendous payoff!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I'm in the final act now. About 80-85% of the way through. Getting exciting now.

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments Just finished. Yeah, so that was creepy. And you're all right. Not the ending I saw coming, at least not quite the ending I saw coming. I guessed the general outlines of it before I got there. (That's the problem of having read a few hundred horror books and seen a bajillion horror movies over the last 40 years, isn't it?) An excellent read and not a book I knew about before I saw this list posting. So, I'm very happy I read it and read it with some other fine folk.

Andrew wrote: "Just finished. Yeah, so that was creepy. And you're all right. Not the ending I saw coming, at least not quite the ending I saw coming. I guessed the general outlines of it before I got there. (Tha..."

Valancourt Books has been re-releasing a lot of these "obscure gems" of books-- Bernard Taylor and Michael McDowell are two that I've really been enjoying lately!

Matthew Bielawa | -51 comments I'm half way through a re-read. And I have to say that I really enjoy the village characters. Each so colorful in their own way. Each with their own take on past events and helping our narrator (and us!) ever so slowly learn the truth.

Matthew wrote: "I'm half way through a re-read. And I have to say that I really enjoy the village characters. Each so colorful in their own way. Each with their own take on past events and helping our narrator (an..."

My re-read, as well. There's always something "new" I discover (or forgot the first time around) with re-reads. :)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I got off to a bit of a slow start since my commute was chaotic enough I didn't want to listen when I knew I'd be too distracted. I'm about at the halfway point now, and I love the creepy atmosphere of the house and things have really ratcheted up now that (view spoiler)

I finished A Winter Haunting not too long ago and it was one of the best haunting books I have read in quite some time. This is definitely shaping up to be its equal!

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments I'm at 49%, and enjoying it.

I do think I have it figured out what will happen though:
(view spoiler)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments Finished it tonight! It was a solid 4 stars from me until I read that ending, which pushed my rating up to 5 stars. So creepy and horrendous: (view spoiler).

The book definitely felt dated in the way that David treated Shelagh: (view spoiler).

Did anyone else wonder why David didn't call the police when (view spoiler).

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments Eva wrote: "Finished it last night! All of the slow build-up was definitely rewarded with that ending!! Loved the whole book, not what I had expected at all. so, a haunted house with benefits, wink, wink :) f..."

Yep, David (view spoiler).

message 47: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Polcar | 40 comments One thing I was not getting about this story was everyone's reticence in sharing their knowledge with others. (view spoiler)

message 48: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva Kelly B wrote: "Finished it tonight! It was a solid 4 stars from me until I read that ending, which pushed my rating up to 5 stars. So creepy and horrendous: [spoilers removed].

The book definitely felt dated in ..."

In hindsight David definitely could have done a few things better: he could have asked more questions, could have insisted on getting answers all around and yes! (view spoiler) I still think though that the slow-burn was done really well, which made the ending all the much better.

message 49: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Polcar | 40 comments Hahaha, mental nothing to see here sign. Prefect!

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I finished yesterday, and loved it, though I do wish I'd read it rather than listened to the audio, and I will eventually. Right now I just had no other choice if I wanted to participate. That's nothing at all against the audio, mind you, it's just that for books like this I hate to miss things, and I'm sure I did, despite going back a lot to re-listen to certain sections.

I can't help but compare this to A Winter Haunting, which I listened to just a couple of weeks back. Both I listened to, both were haunted house stories, both were excellent. I have to give the nod to Winter Haunting, mostly because it was easier for me to identify with it, having grown up in an area very much like where the book is set (only 2-3 hours away, actually). It also was perhaps a little more original than this one, though both had me baffled about where they were going. I definitely recommend both very highly!

« previous 1