Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > FEBRUARY Group Read Winner --THE EXORCIST

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5739 comments Mod
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty THE EXORCIST, by William Peter Blatty won our poll for the February Group Read. This is the place for discussion! Please remember to use spoiler tags, page numbers, chapters, or percentage read. Have fun!

message 2: by Jack (last edited Jan 24, 2017 12:25PM) (new)

Jack Strange | 11 comments I heard a great story about this book on radio 4 the other day.

This guy was being interviewed. I didn't catch his name. We'll call him Larry.

Anyway, Larry said that when the Exorcist was first published, a colleague of his (we'll call him John) read it. John said the book was so evil that he couldn't bear to keep it - so he'd walked to the end of the pier (they worked in a sea-side town) and threw it as far as he could into the sea.

Larry said that when he heard this, he went out at lunch-time and bought a copy of The Exorcist, waited till John was out of the office, put the book under the tap (American readers - the faucet) got it soaking wet, and then put it in John's desk.

Nice!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments lol. That's hilarious.

message 4: by Saytchyn (new)

Saytchyn | 11 comments I might have to come out of my cave to join this read. The Exorcist is my favorite novel.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Tenuto | 44 comments I loved The Exorcist when I finally got around to reading it last year (after having seen the movie countless times - certainly enough to recite it line for line). I look forward to this discussion.

Jack, I love your story about the book - totally something I would do! LOL

message 6: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (sarafina1977) | 28 comments Yay! I've already got it on my Kindle!

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Jefferson (djeff81) | 0 comments Going up to the attic to get my copy. It has been years since I read it. Great selection.

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 444 comments I don't know if I feel like re-reading it already. I read it a little more than a year ago. mmmm

message 9: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 30 comments I read it two years ago and enjoyed it very much. I hope everyone enjoy the reading too :)

message 10: by Trinity (new)

Trinity | 81 comments I don't know if I can read this...i absolutely HATED the movie. Maybe I should read it though, I'm assuming the book is much better?

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex | 32 comments I'M SO EXCITED WE'RE READING THIS BOOK!!!!!! I have read many a horror novel and can say that this is flat out one of the best pieces of horror fiction I have ever come across. One suggestion, however: listen to it on audio. The speaker's voice is so gravely and low it adds volume of context to the overall story.

message 12: by Jen from Quebec :0) (last edited Feb 04, 2017 05:38PM) (new)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments Excellent- I have an old 1970's paperback copy that smells so good I cannot wait to crack it open! -Jen from Quebec :0)

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

I can see myself re-reading this one--probably more towards the middle of the month.

message 14: by Jack (new)

Jack Strange | 11 comments Peter wrote: "I loved The Exorcist when I finally got around to reading it last year (after having seen the movie countless times - certainly enough to recite it line for line). I look forward to this discussion..."
Yes, I loved that story. BTW, I've never read the Exorcist so I'll definitely be getting a copy and joining in this discussion.

message 15: by Poonam (new)

Poonam | 10 comments I would love to join in on this read.

message 16: by Greg (new)

Greg | 359 comments It's been many years since I've read this but it is an excellent book. Have fun. RIP Mr. Blatty.

message 17: by Abhishek (new)

Abhishek (fantasyengineering) | 15 comments I've never read this before although I'm a fan of the movie and the recent Fox TV show. I hope I get my copy in the next day or two so that I can read along with the book group.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments JUST realized I have this not only in battered ancient paperback edition, but an audio version, too! EXCELLENT. Do we begin on Feb 1st? -Jen from Quebec :0) (I am super stoked for this one- The Exorcist is my 'scares me more than any other' film)

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Jennifer Lynn wrote: "JUST realized I have this not only in battered ancient paperback edition, but an audio version, too! EXCELLENT. Do we begin on Feb 1st? -Jen from Quebec :0) (I am super stoked for this one- The Exo..."

Yes, the month of February. :) Read (or listen) at your own pace--just be sure to let people know how far you are into it and use spoiler tags when commenting.

message 20: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Zavalnyk (kzbooks) | 17 comments I saw a movie but never read a book. Frankly speaking, I found out that there's a book not long ago. Shame on me. Anyway, I've just got it on my kindle and looking forward to reading it.

message 21: by Traci (new)

Traci (traciller) | 8 comments I just picked this book up from the library the other day in anticipation of the group read. It's the first time I've participated in one of these group reads, and while I've never read The Exorcist before I've been meaning to for a few years now. Seems like a good time to do it! :)

Is there anything I need to know, being a newbie to this group read thing? I read the first comment, but I just mean additional rules or guidelines that people who have been here longer than I have are already aware of?

message 22: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 885 comments mr.jinglesss wrote: "I saw a movie but never read a book. Frankly speaking, I found out that there's a book not long ago. Shame on me. Anyway, I've just got it on my kindle and looking forward to reading it."

I got my copy on Kindle a few months ago. It was interesting to read the book because the movie is so familiar.

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Jefferson (djeff81) | 0 comments Happy Reading Everyone

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 718 comments I haven't read this since the late 70's. I'm going to get a copy and try to read it this month.

message 25: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 718 comments I didn't realize there is now a 40th anniversary addition with some revisions and a new character. Are most people reading the newer version or original.

This is when I wish I never got rid of my books when we moved 18 yrs ago. :(

message 26: by Traci (new)

Traci (traciller) | 8 comments Nancy wrote: "I didn't realize there is now a 40th anniversary addition with some revisions and a new character. Are most people reading the newer version or original.

This is when I wish I never got rid of my..."

I'm reading it. It's the copy the library had so I took it. I didn't realize that there were some drastic changes, though. This is a good question, since it could easily affect the discussion!

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Traci wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I didn't realize there is now a 40th anniversary addition with some revisions and a new character. Are most people reading the newer version or original.

This is when I wish I never..."

I didn't realize this, either! I have an older edition....

message 28: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 718 comments My library only has the 40th anniversary edition as well.

message 29: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2382 comments Jack wrote: "I heard a great story about this book on radio 4 the other day.

This guy was being interviewed. I didn't catch his name. We'll call him Larry.

Anyway, Larry said that when the Exorcist was first..."

Thank you! Hilarious!

message 30: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2382 comments Downloaded an audio version from the library.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yasin (sarahyasin) | 29 comments Blatty is a hero to me. He was criticized by religious folks for writing horror, yet by the end of his life he was recognized for his orthodoxy. I point to him whenever I'm accused of doing something wrong by reading horror.

message 32: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewes) | 3 comments I've been meaning to read this after picking up a used copy this summer for 25cents at a book sale. Happy reading!

message 33: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewes) | 3 comments Mine is the 1971 edition.

message 34: by Kimberly (new)

Kate wrote: "Mine is the 1971 edition."

That's the one I have. :)

message 35: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Sarah wrote: "Blatty is a hero to me. He was criticized by religious folks for writing horror, yet by the end of his life he was recognized for his orthodoxy. I point to him whenever I'm accused of doing somethi..."

Agreed..

message 36: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2382 comments Mine is the audio 40th Anniversary and the author is reading it too! He has a low gravely voice. Scary... :)

message 37: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Zavalnyk (kzbooks) | 17 comments I have 40th Anniversary edition as well. It was the only offered at Amazon

message 38: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2382 comments I don't remember the crazy alcoholic director being in the movie version, lol.

message 39: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Lena wrote: "I don't remember the crazy alcoholic director being in the movie version, lol."

Oh yeah. He'd get wasted and ask the Swiss butler if he'd ever been bowling with Goebbels. I thought he was great comic relief.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 25 comments The audiobook read by the author himself is freakin amazing!

message 41: by Traci (new)

Traci (traciller) | 8 comments Lena wrote: "Mine is the audio 40th Anniversary and the author is reading it too! He has a low gravely voice. Scary... :)"

Oh, that sounds fantastic! I think once I finish reading, I'll then find and listen to the audiobook. I'd love to hear it in the author's own voice, especially if his voice lends itself by nature to reading stories like this.

message 42: by Traci (last edited Feb 03, 2017 06:28PM) (new)

Traci (traciller) | 8 comments So far, I'm really liking the book. I'm only 26% in (page 99), but I'm finding it easy to read with an engaging writing style. I really like the way he writes dialogue, too.

(view spoiler)

message 43: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I encourage people to check out Legion when they finish The Exorcist. Stylistically different but still a worthy sequel. I still have fond memories of seeing the film in the theater back in 1690 or 1990 or whenever that was. I guess it was a while ago.

message 44: by Lena (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:48PM) (new)

Lena | 2382 comments 38% in. Way too much excrement being mentioned. I've found male authors get stinky. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I encourage people to check out Legion when they finish The Exorcist. Stylistically different but still a worthy sequel. I still have fond memories of seeing the film in the theater b..."

I can't remember how long ago I read that one--I couldn't even say what it's about anymore! Might be a good option to vote on next month...

message 46: by Andi (new)

Andi Rawson (andreyact) Kimberly wrote: "The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty THE EXORCIST, by William Peter Blatty won our poll for the February Group Read. This is the place for discussion! Please remember to use spoiler tags, page numbers, ..."

I think I will read this. :)

message 47: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Zavalnyk (kzbooks) | 17 comments Just finished part two (55 %). As I wrote before, I saw a movie some time ago but all I remember is just the general idea, no details. I find the book captivating and easy-to-read, like the author's stile which is true-to-life (I mean the dialogue). But as the story develop [no spoilers], some moments seem to me shocking and even disgusting... I wonder how it passed the censorship

message 48: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 901 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I encourage people to check out Legion when they finish The Exorcist. Stylistically different but still a worthy sequel. I still have fond memories of seeing the film in the theater b..."

A great book and the foundation to Exorcist 3 which is a great film. Forget Exorcist 2 as that has nothing to do with either book and I guess John Boorman hangs his head in shame thinking about it!

message 49: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 901 comments Traci wrote: "So far, I'm really liking the book. I'm only 26% in (page 99), but I'm finding it easy to read with an engaging writing style. I really like the way he writes dialogue, too.

*********** Spoiler Al..."

Hi Traci.

As you get further in to the book you will realise the significance of the scene with the Doctor and Chris O'Neill.

message 50: by Shawn W (new)

Shawn W Liked like the movie, but hope the book takes it up a notch.

« previous 1 3