Men's Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Archives > 2017 activity?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Ward | 2 comments Hello all. I've been looking for a spot like this, but activity seems low. Is anyone interested in kickstarting for 2017?

I have never been a big reader, but I'm trying to read one book a month this year. I'm sure some of you have similar goals.

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff K | 10 comments Welcome. What kinds of books do you enjoy? Any particular authors or genre?

message 3: by Chris, Founder (last edited Jan 28, 2017 11:15AM) (new)

Chris (cfelix) | 67 comments Mod
Hello Jason,

I do apologize for the lack of activity. I have been extremely busy with work and have had little time to focus on this lately.

I'll be posting something in the coming days in regards to finding additional Moderators for this group who have more time to dedicate to this!

message 4: by Oz (new)

Oz | 5 comments A favorite of mine: http://www.onesecondafter.com/ I've read the first two...waiting on the library to get the third and final book in the series.

My all time favorite book is Earth Ablides by George R. Stewart.

A few more authors that I really like: Jeffrey Archer, Robert Vaughan, William W. Johnstone, Ken Grimwood ("Replay is great").. Ken Follett. Some of Christoper Moore's stuff
I'm currently reading the first Scot Harvath book by Brad Thor.

I'm always looking for new authors...so if anyone can make suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

I got tired of the "Reacher" series. Robert B. Parker once in a while. I like a lot of genres...
No vampire/werewolf, romance (ugh), hard core SciFi. cozy mysteries.

All suggestions would be welcome.... I sometimes have 3 going at once...but in different genres so I don't get 'em mixed up.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Stanfield | 1 comments I've just finished The Power of One by Bryce Courtney

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Ward | 2 comments Hey Chris. Thanks for the update. No worries, I know how busy we all are for sure!

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff. Honestly, I'm not a big reader and I want to expand my horizons. I read mostly non fiction and business type books. I would be down to try most anything that the group chooses.

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 2 comments Just joined. Reading the book Route 66 Still Kicks. Very good so far.

message 8: by Bill, Admin (new)

Bill K | 115 comments Mod
Welcome, Jeff.

It has been a little slow around here, but hopefully some new membership will bring more activity.

Let the group know the kinds of books you like to read.

message 9: by David (new)

David Black | 21 comments Bill wrote: "Welcome, Jeff.

It has been a little slow around here, but hopefully some new membership will bring more activity.

Let the group know the kinds of books you like to read."

I like many different genres of book: fiction, biography and history are three favorites.
What have we all read and enjoyed lately? Some recent favorites:
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman A Man Called Ove
Double Whammy by Carl Hiassen Double Whammy
The Sympathizer by Viet Nguyen The Sympathizer
Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan Sweet Tooth
All of those are fiction, but some are more serious, others lighter. Haven't got anything going in non-fiction. Any recommendations?

message 10: by Bill, Admin (new)

I really liked A Man Called Ove. I have not read the others you mention.

Hidden Figures is a non-fiction that I am currently reading. I'm about halfway, and really enjoying it. I have not seen the movie yet.

I've also been reading WWII War in the Pacific books. Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal was one I enjoyed. I am currently reading Battle for Leyte Gulf, but I'm not far enough along to give it an endorsement.

message 11: by David (new)

David Black | 21 comments Bill wrote: "I really liked A Man Called Ove. I have not read the others you mention.

Hidden Figures is a non-fiction that I am currently reading. I'm about halfway, and really enjoying it. I have not seen the..."

Just added Hidden Figures to my list to read! My Dad was an aerospace engineer, but I never knew about this part of the history of what he always called "the missile business".

message 12: by Edward (new)

Edward (ladd101) | 31 comments I too enjoyed A Man Called Ove. On my to-read list is The Forgotten Soldier (history genre), a WWII book from the eyes of a young German. I recently read The Boys in the Boat and that was an excellent read, interesting and exciting, also from the history genre.

message 13: by Dj (new)

Dj | 3 comments Hey Guys, How's it going?
My reading goals for 2017 mostly consists of classics. Have read The Trial and Anthem and planning to read The Idiot next.
Anyone who wants to read along can let me know.
Cheers!

message 14: by Bill, Admin (new)

I thought that Boys in the Boat was unexpectedly good.

message 15: by Edward (new)

Edward (ladd101) | 31 comments That's funny Bill, I just recommended that book to you. I probably got the idea to read it from you in the first place.

message 16: by Bill, Admin (new)

I tried the Idiot a few years ago--I got too bogged down by the length and ended up abandoning it. I probably should give it another try.

message 17: by Bill, Admin (new)

Edward wrote: "That's funny Bill, I just recommended that book to you. I probably got the idea to read it from you in the first place."

It's all good. I have trouble keeping track of the books I recommend and those that are recommended to me. I have a few on my Sci-Fi list that another Goodreads friend has suggested like Way Station

message 18: by Dj (new)

Dj | 3 comments No Russian literature is an easy read, I toiled through Crime and Punishment but enjoyed it quite a lot by the end. Hoping for the same through this one.

message 19: by Bill, Admin (new)

True. I took the easy way out and just pretended I was reading Russian literature with books like Child 44 and Gorki Park.

Actually, Master and Margarita was a really good Russian read.

message 20: by Dj (new)

Dj | 3 comments Bill wrote: "True. I took the easy way out and just pretended I was reading Russian literature with books like Child 44 and Gorki Park.

Actually, Master and Margarita was a really good Russian read."

I have heard good things about Master and Margarita. Dostoevsky books usually have dense pages and are a tough read so I read a novella before or after just to balance things out in the brain.
My last read 'Anthem by Ayn Rand' was a 100 something page book.
I'll be starting with The Idiot in the first week of March, let me know if you want to join in. Cheers.

message 21: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments Hello, I'm new to the group.

I just finished the "John Rain" series by Barry Eisler.

I also enjoyed The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael | 1 comments Just finished Bill O'Reilly's Killing the Rising Sun.

Absolutely fantastic book about the war with Japan, the decision to drop the atomic bombs, and the key players throughout the Pacific War. He does a really nice job of putting you back in WWII and the mindset we had as a country.

Don't let his real-life political bent keep you from reading this. Whether you like his politics or not, it doesn't show up in his books.

message 23: by David (last edited Apr 18, 2017 07:56AM) (new)

David Black | 21 comments Finished The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead over the Easter weekend. It was a mix of genres: a historical narrative, lots of social commentary and a dash of symbolism/magic realism. Like any book dealing with slavery, there were many parts that were rather grim, and it certainly didn't have a nice tidy happy ending where all the loose ends were tied up in a bow. A good read!

message 24: by Bill, Admin (new)

Thanks David. I've heard mixed reviews on Underground Railroad, and was leaning away from reading it--I might have to give it a go now.

message 25: by David (new)

David Black | 21 comments Bill wrote: "Thanks David. I've heard mixed reviews on Underground Railroad, and was leaning away from reading it--I might have to give it a go now."

I read a few strongly negative reviews here on goodreads, and was surprised. A couple of folks didn't like the metaphoric/fantasy elements such as the literal underground railroad--they wanted a historically accurate novel. The people and their emotions seem very true to life, IMHO, but there are parts of the setting that are deliberately anachronistic. Other readers were turned off by the violence or overall depressing situations of those held in slavery. If you can get over those, I highly recommend the book.

message 26: by Scott (new)

Scott Shields (scottyoureading) | 6 comments I'd happily help moderate the group and get those subscribers numbers even higher than they already are. Let me know if you're interested in my help.

message 27: by Bill, Admin (new)

David wrote: "Bill wrote: "Thanks David. I've heard mixed reviews on Underground Railroad, and was leaning away from reading it--I might have to give it a go now."

I read a few strongly negative reviews here on..."

The book really didn't work for me.

I wasn't bothered by the literal underground railroad at all. I thought the story was actually pretty good. What I didn't like was how it was put together. It seemed like some of the back stories were awkwardly placed--the book just seemed to not 'flow' for me as I thought it should.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.