Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED Team challenges > Book Hangman Challenge -- Sign-Ups!!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9571 comments Mod
________Welcome to the Book Hangman challenge! ________
**Thanks to Abbie and Sarah, from the YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ group for letting me clone their super fun challenge! :D I hope you guys all find this challenge as fun as I do!**

Challenge Basics:

After signups close, teams will be formed. Each team will get two threads: one (1) for posting their reviews/puzzle and one (1) for chatting with their teammates.

Once the challenge starts, you'll get your first puzzle. It will look like this (although with a different amount of "_" (letters), since this won't be your actual puzzle. ;)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ * _ _ _ _ By _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ * _ _ _ _ _ _

How to guess letters

To try and figure out the book, your team will read books and post the reviews to reveal letters.
You have three (3) different ways in which to choose a letter to guess: the title of the book you read, the first letter of the author's first or last name, or the first letter of the series name (if the book is a part of a series). So, for example, if you read Black (Circle Trilogy) by Ted Dekker -- You could guess one of these letters: B, C, T, D

If the book you read is over 500 pages, you get a second bonus letter...which can be any letter of the alphabet that you like!

There's no penalty for guessing an incorrect letter or title, but you do need to have at least one review/book posted for your current puzzle before making a guess and you only get one guess per book read.

When signing up, please let us know the average amount of books you read in a month. Also, please only sign up if you can commit to actively participating and chatting with your teammates.

Signups close on January 31st and the challenge will start February 1st!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All titles used for the puzzles are classified as Christian / Christian Fiction / Christian Non-Fiction.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ways to earn points:

• For every book read, you and your team will earn one point.

• For every book read over 500 pages, your team will earn one extra point.

• For every puzzle guessed correctly, your team will earn 5 points.

Rules:

• Books may be started prior to challenge start date, but must be FINISHED on or after February 1st.

• Books must be at least 100 pages.

• Letters guessed have to be the first letter of the book title OR author's first/last name OR series name to count. Exception being the bonus letters from books over 500 pages.

• Your team has to read at least one book before making a guess, and you only get one guess per book read.

• Cookbooks, Picture books, Manga, Graphic Novels, Poetry books are not allowed for this challenge. Aside from that, any books over 100 pages count for the challenge.

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jan 23, 2017 12:21AM) (new)

Please remember to post the average amount of books you read in a month when you sign up. :D

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jan 31, 2017 10:06AM) (new)

Andrea -- .5-1.5 books per week/2-6 books per month
Staci -- 10-12 books per month
Megan -- 14-16 books per month
Grace -- 2-6 books per month
Tiffany -- 5-10 books per month
Grace -- 7-8 books per month
Sam -- 2-3 books per month
Holly -- 4-6 books per month
Emily -- 10-14 books per month
Kimberly -- 2-3 books per week/8-12 books per month

message 4: by Andrea (last edited Jan 23, 2017 01:31AM) (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments I'm in. .5-1.5 books per week.

Do articles count as the first letter of the title (a, an, the)?

Also, how is the winner decided? Is it based on accrued points or finished puzzles?

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "I'm in. .5-1.5 books per week.

Do articles count as the first letter of the title (a, an, the)?"

You can choose to use it or not. So if you read The Bride Collector, you could use it for T or B.

message 6: by Staci (new)

Staci | 879 comments Fun! I'm in. 10-12 books per month.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments Thanks, Melanie! So sorry about figuring per week rather than per month. I totally misread that directive. The 2-6 books/month sounds right to me.

message 8: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6295 comments Mod
I'm in! Love this challenge. :)

Average books per month: 14-16

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace (thenarnianweekly) | 8 comments This sounds fun. I'm in.
About 2-6 books per month sound right for me.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 907 comments I'm in. This sounds like a lot of fun. I read about 5-10 books most months.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in! I read about 7-8 books a month.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam B | 232 comments Alright! Sounds fun :)

I'm in for an average of 2-3 books per month.

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 119 comments I'm in! I read 4 - 6 books a month!

Thanks!

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments it sounds fun, but I have to pass on it this time. a bit busy.

message 15: by Andrea (last edited Jan 24, 2017 08:47AM) (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments Dawn wrote: "it sounds fun, but I have to pass on it this time. a bit busy."

We'll miss you, Dawn!

message 16: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Dawn wrote: "it sounds fun, but I have to pass on it this time. a bit busy."

Aww, sorry to hear that. Hope you can join the next one!

message 17: by Bess (new)

Bess | 2582 comments This sounds super fun! But, like Dawn, I'm going to have to pass. I'm so busy with my crocheting, my reading has suffered a tad. :D
I hope to catch the next game!!!

message 18: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Bess wrote: "This sounds super fun! But, like Dawn, I'm going to have to pass. I'm so busy with my crocheting, my reading has suffered a tad. :D
I hope to catch the next game!!!"

Bummer. :( I understand though, as challenges can be time-consuming. Hope you are able to join the next challenge.

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments Bess wrote: "This sounds super fun! But, like Dawn, I'm going to have to pass. I'm so busy with my crocheting, my reading has suffered a tad. :D
I hope to catch the next game!!!"

Will miss you, Bess!

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments Bess I didn't know that you crocheted. Or maybe you told me and I forgot. lol

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 203 comments Hello! I'm a little late to the sign-ups, but I'd like to join. I read something around 10-14 books a month.

message 22: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Emily wrote: "Hello! I'm a little late to the sign-ups, but I'd like to join. I read something around 10-14 books a month."

Welcome!! Hope you have fun with the challenge. :)

message 23: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Sign-ups close tomorrow, so if anyone else wants to play, let me know asap. :)

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 669 comments I don't know how I missed this. I would like to join, if not too late. I read 2-3 books a week

message 25: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Kimberly wrote: "I don't know how I missed this. I would like to join, if not too late. I read 2-3 books a week"

Yay! Glad you made it in time! :D

message 26: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

***SIGN-UPS ARE CLOSED***

message 27: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Here are the teams! Challenge starts in 25 minutes. :D

TEAM 1
Andrea
Staci
Grace
Grace
Emily

TEAM 2
Megan
Tiffany
Sam
Holly
Kimberly

message 28: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "I'm in. .5-1.5 books per week.

Do articles count as the first letter of the title (a, an, the)?

Also, how is the winner decided? Is it based on accrued points or finished puzzles?"

Sorry, I didn't see the edited part of your comment until now. The winner is based on total points, which are earned from books read/puzzles solved.

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments Thank you!

message 30: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 907 comments Melanie wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I'm in. .5-1.5 books per week.

You can choose to use it or not. So if you read The Bride Collector, you could use ..."

Do articles count if they're not the first word in the title? Like if they occur later in the title?

message 31: by Sam (new)

Sam B | 232 comments Tiffany wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I'm in. .5-1.5 books per week.

You can choose to use it or not. So if you read The Bride Collector..."

It has to be the first later of the title. Only when the title is an article, then you can decide to overlook the article and use the first letter of the first word following that article.

message 32: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 907 comments Oh ok. I was hoping to use it but it wasn't the first word in the title. No problem.

message 33: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Thanks for answering, Sam!

I'm sorry that part of the rules was confusing, Tiffany. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

message 34: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 907 comments Not a problem. I'll know for future guesses :)

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments I totally forgot about that part. :) I am glad my letter worked last time (author's first name). Thanks for reminding me, y'all!

message 36: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

10 days into the challenge! Teams are close at the moment -- 28 to 20 points! Hope you all are having fun. :D

message 37: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 907 comments I have a question...is there a limit to the types of books we can use?

message 38: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I have a question...is there a limit to the types of books we can use?"

No Cookbooks, Picture books, Manga, Graphic Novels, Poetry books...basically anything with a bunch of pictures. Besides that, the books just have to be over 100 pages. :D Also, this challenge only goes by finished date, so if you started a book before the challenge started, you can still use it IF you finished it on or after Feb. 1st (the challenge start date).

message 39: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

I'm sorry guys, but I won't be updating the puzzles until tomorrow. Hope it's not too much of an inconvenience.

message 40: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments Thanks for the heads-up, Melanie. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

message 41: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Only ten puzzles left! :D

message 42: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments How did that happen so fast?! This game has been so much fun. I don't want it to end so soon! :)

message 43: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "How did that happen so fast?! This game has been so much fun. I don't want it to end so soon! :)"

I know -- it's crazy how fast they are going. I'm glad you are having fun! Megan and I are brainstorming a new challenge idea, which we hope will be even more fun and ready to post shortly after this one ends. :D

message 44: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments Sweet! I love that we're doing these team games so close together. Thank you!

message 45: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 907 comments Me too! I'm really enjoying them! I should have another review soon!

message 46: by Sam (new)

Sam B | 232 comments Yes, I agree with you guys! So much fun!

message 47: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6295 comments Mod
I love hearing that all of you are loving the challenges. :)

message 48: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4340 comments Megan wrote: "I love hearing that all of you are loving the challenges. :)"

Definitely. :) I think you and Melanie create such fun games/challenges for us. Well done!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.