Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Original (non English) author name vs. English name

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexey (new)

Alexey Gerasimovich (knari) | 60 comments Hi. I read the Librarian Manual for that issue but couldn't find a proper answer. If a book is an edition in another language what is a proper way for naming? I see that in some books you just add English name of the author as the first name and then the edition name (for example, if it is a Russian edition, then a name of the author in Russian) as the second author of the book. IS it correct? Because sometimes books have just English author name.

Also, what to do with non-English authors? The same situation with Russian. There is a Russian name but I can make several versions how to write such name by Latin characters. And should I at all?

message 2: by Paula (last edited Jan 22, 2017 10:36PM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Policy is where a book has been translated into a Roman language then the primary author on all edition is the Roman name. The secondary author name is that of the edition, so Russian or Chinese etc.

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...

When a book has not been translated out of the original language then use the original name only there is no need for a Roman name. We use the library of congress to check if multiple versions of a name exist if they have the non Roman name. Otherwise it's best to post here for advice

If the primary name is not the same it causes issues combing and with the stats

message 3: by Alexey (new)

Alexey Gerasimovich (knari) | 60 comments Ok, thanks for the clarification