The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Rachel Watson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 324 (324 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 31, 2017 12:31AM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Rachel Watson

Team Members:
♦ Cathy M. (Captain)
♦ Jenny (Co-captain)
♦ Preethi
♦ Filipa
♦ Diana

♦ Stephanie
♦ Hannah

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:37PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
“Are you getting hysterical?” Ty asked eagerly. “Can I smack you?”
― Madeleine Urban, Cut & Run

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments reserved

message 4: by Cathy M. (last edited Mar 28, 2017 02:59PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Team Rachel Watson Working Spreadsheet

Current Points

Team Shelves

♦ Cathy M. (Captain) - Uno-2017
♦ Jenny (Co-captain) - Uno-2017
♦ Preethi - Uno-Read
♦ Filipa - Uno-2017
♦ Diana - Diana

Important Information

✧ Dates of Game ~ February 1, 2017 ~ April 30, 2017

The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). To see when this is in your time zone, use this countdown

Main cities, FYI:
Tokyo: 5pm, 1st February
London: 8am, 1st February
New York: 3am, 1st February
San Francisco: Midnight, 1st February

✧ Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count.

✧ Your finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" with a read date during the challenge for them to count.

✧ Books must be more than 100 pages in length and Children's books and Graphic Novels can not be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 25,000 words using arbookfind.com

✧ Series numbers used are 1 to 9, and stand alone books counts as 0.

✧ Letters used in UNO are Z, O, T, H, F, I, V, E, S, N, K, and P. You can use title, author name, character name, or place for the letters.

message 5: by Cathy M. (last edited Feb 28, 2017 09:56PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments March Cards

Countdown till start of March!

0 (Z) - 0/4
1 (O) - 0/9
2 (T) - 0/8
3 (H) - 0/7
4 (F) - 0/8
5 (I) - 0/8
6 (S) - 0/7
7 (V) - 0/6
8 (E) - 0/7
9 (N) - 0/5
Skip (K/P) - 0/8
Reverse (Book read by another team member) - 0/6
Draw 2 - 0/8
Wild/Wild Draw 4 - 0/7

**COLORS CARDS TO LOOK FOR**
Color Extractor Tool

5 Yellow
2 Red
3 Red
1 Green
2 Green
8 Green
4 Blue
4 Blue

message 6: by Cathy M. (last edited Mar 28, 2017 10:39AM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments March Mini-Challenge

This is an optional mini challenge for our UNO players.

✣ Only books read March 15-31 will count for this challenge.
✣ Please note that books started before March 15 do NOT count for this mini-challenge
✣ The countdown to the start of this mini challenge is HERE
✣ The usual book length requirement for UNO apply
✣ Books used for this mini challenge do not need to be separate books for what you are claiming for your UNO hands

Part 1: (You will get a 15 point bonus if your team completes all tasks for part 1-3) :

1. Read 5 books by an author of one of the team names for 15 points each. It is ok if more than 1 team member reads the same author but each individual can only read each author once.

2. Read one book that is one of the team names for 30 points. For a team name that is a series book, only book 1 of the series can count for this part

3. Scavenger hunt character names in books. Find the first name of one of the characters from our team names for 5 points each. One name per book, maximum of 10 books. Any character from one of the book/series will work, it does not have to be the main character/team name. We can only use each name once.

Team name/books/authors/characters listing:

(view spoiler)

Part 2:

4. Scrabble
Create a word using the first and last letter of the team names - which words you use is up to the team - but they must be at least 4 letters long.

- Read one book per letter for 5 points per letter.
- 2p bonus for completed words with 5-6 letters
- 4p bonus for completed words with 7 or more letters

Normal "spell-it-out" rules apply. i.e. Letter needs to be the first letter in the book title, author first name or surname, character name or nickname, or setting. Articles (a/an/the) can be ignored in the book titles. For this spell-it-out, you can also use the first letter in the series name.

You can only get points for one partially finished word, i.e. if you by the end of the month have more than 1 incomplete words, you will only get 5p/book for the first word.

Annika was nice enough to figure out the letters we can use for Scrabble. They are:

(view spoiler)

I have also copied the Mods sheet to use for our tracking for the mini-challenge. Their's was prettier :P We will definitely need to communicate more with this challenge.

First up - we need to think of some words, preferably 7-letter words that we can use for Scrabble. Unfortunately there are no I's or U's, and only 1 A and 1 O. So we will need to get creative with the words!

message 7: by Cathy M. (last edited Feb 19, 2017 09:19PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments ◈◈◈Perks UNO cards◈◈◈

O (Zero)
Read a book that:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

1 (One)
Read a book that:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O
- is book 1 in a series

2 (Two)
Read a book that:
- has a 2 or Two in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T
- is book 2 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that:
- has a 3 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with H
- has an author first name or surname starts with H
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with H
- is set in a place name starting with H
- is book 3 in a series

4 (Four)
Read a book that:
- has a 4 or Four in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F
- is book 4 in a series

5 (Five)
Read a book that:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with I
- has an author first name or surname starts with I
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with I
- is set in a place name starting with I
- is book 5 in a series

6 (Six)
Read a book that:
- has a 6 or Six in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S
- is book 6 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with V
- has an author first name or surname starts with V
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with V
- is set in a place name starting with V
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E
- is book 8 in a series

9 (Nine)
Read a book that:
- has a 9 or Nine in the title
- has a title starting with N
- has an author first name or surname starts with N
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with N
- is set in a place name starting with N
- is book 9 in a series

Skip
Read a book that:
- has a title starting with K or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with K or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with K or P
- is set in a place name starting with K or P
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Reverse
One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Wild
Read a book that can fit any of the requirements for cards 0-9

Wild draw four
Read any book!

◈◈◈Points◈◈◈
For each book read to match a 0-9 card, the team gets 20 points
For each book read to match a Skip or Reverse, the team gets 25 points
For each book read to match a wild or Wild draw four card the team gets 30 points
For each hand completed, the team gets a bonus 15 points

For each color cover book read the team gets 30 points.

message 8: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 22, 2017 10:42PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Hi & welcome to the challenge Team Rachel Watson!

This is only my 2nd year playing Uno so I may not be an expert yet but I'm sure we'll be able to figure things out. I'm usually super competitive but I'm hoping we can chill out and not worry so much about points and just have a good time :)

First things first, please make sure you have set up a shelf for this game. Once that's completed, please either post here or send me the link.

Wasn't expecting to be a captain so haven't put anything together yet for tracking or anything. No problem though, might just take me a couple more days to put something together!

I'm an Office Manager for a law firm in LA. I can usually check-in in the mornings/during the day but am usually on GR more at night. I read pretty much anything, a lot of different genres, but my faves are romance, mystery, & fantasy.

Look forward to playing with all of you!

message 9: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Pssst
There is a tracking spreadsheet template you can use if you want to. It is in the Captains Group :)
I've sent you a friend request so I can then add you to the group

message 10: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Haha haven't seen that yet :) That would be a great help!!

message 11: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Hi this is Jenny your Co-Captain. Let me know if you get stuck or have any questions and I'll do my best to get answers.

My Uno shelf is https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 12: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 153 comments Hi everyone! :D

This is my second time playing Uno, I'm looking forward to playing with you girls. :)

I'm from Portugal (GMT), and I'm usually around GR in the evenings. My favorite genre is m/m romance, especially fantasy.

My Uno shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 13: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Welcome Filipa. I'm on GR almost any time of day and night (especially if I have insomnia like tonight). Maybe I should read a book to fall asleep!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all! I'm Preethi from India. This is my first UNO, so I might need a bit of help as I bumble along. A friend ( Hi Annika!) gently nudged me toward this challenge and here I am!

I am on the GR app now, so I will post my UNO shelf when I get on my laptop.

Filipa, I've begun to read more and more M/M these days too, though my favourite genres are PNR and UF.

Looking forward to participating, getting to know you all and reading more books.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh and here is when I should probably admit that I have never read The Girl on the Train, so I have no idea about Rachel Watson!

message 16: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Nice to meet you Preethi. And don't feel alone, I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I do know the actress though (Emily Blunt I'm pretty sure).

message 17: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hii, Preethi!
Soo glad you decided to join :D
- read, I didn't give her much of a choice ;)

message 18: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Yeah that's Annika's style ;-)
But hey, you won't regret it, Preethi! Uno is a fun challenge!! :-)

message 19: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Hey team. Please note the Feb spreadsheet in message #1 includes our hands for February so you can start thinking about books you've been wanting to read that fit those requirements (under message #5 above). We can't start reading anything for this challenge until Feb 1st, but when you finish just submit a COMPLETION POST like this

Book Read:
Date Read:
Card:
How it Fits:
Rating (1-5 stars)

And make sure to mark your book as "read' under your UNO 2017 shelf. Thanks!

message 20: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 153 comments Preethi wrote: "Hi all! I'm Preethi from India. This is my first UNO, so I might need a bit of help as I bumble along. A friend ( Hi Annika!) gently nudged me toward this challenge and here I am!

I am on the GR a..."

Yay, that'll be great for the Reverse cards. I don't usually read a lot of PNR, you'll have to send some recommendations my way. :)

message 21: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Hi Filipa, we meet again :) I read MM too so we'll definitely have some books we can use for the Reverse card. Also read a lot of UF/PNR, but don't think I've read much MM Fantasy except for the Whyborne & Griffin series. Will be looking for your recommendations this season!

Welcome Preethi! Can't remember if we've ever been on a team together but I've seen your name around (probably at AMMP) so looking forward to playing with you!

We got 1 more player! I was a little scared thinking it was just the 4 of us but we were blessed to get another player yay! I originally wasn't going to sign up for Uno because I've been trying to take it easier this year. Last year I went a little insane with Wobble at NBRC and I'm still recovering! I've already cut down on my reading and stopped signing up for challenges...but some of my GR friends kept talking about Uno so I finally gave in. Yep, I could not resist! Hopefully we give you a great 1st impression for this game Preethi!

message 22: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Okay so for game play ~ I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on how you'd like to play.

Personally, and from past experiences not only with Uno but with other games, I think the best course of action would be to just read what you like, at least for the first week or 2, since any book you pick should fit at least one of the cards.

Once we get under way and can start placing books in hands, we will then be able to see if we're missing anything and need anything in particular. There will probably be mini-challenges in March & April when we will need to plan things out a little more, but at this point, it's better to ease into it :)

What do you think?

message 23: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Last post (for now)!

The awesome mods have provided a Tracking Sheet that Jenny & I have been modifying. It can be found here (& I'll place the link above for easier access):

Team Rachel Watson Working Spreadsheet

Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions! Everyone should be able to edit it, but we ask that you only add your books to the Feb Books tab. Jenny & I will be using the Feb Cards tab for planning (to move the books around to where they best fit to complete our cards).

You can start logging your books now if you like and just add more details when you're done. Or if you are not comfortable with spreadsheets, just post all your details in this thread & we'll get it added.

message 24: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 24, 2017 11:04AM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Sorry 1 more! Here is a breakdown of our cards -

February Cards

0 - Have 3
1 - Have 7
2 - Have 7
3 - Have 7
4 - Have 7
5 - Have 6
6 - Have 6
7 - Have 6
8 - Have 7
9 - Have 6
Skip - Have 8
Reverse - Have 7
Draw 2 - Have 8
Wild - Have 4
Wild Draw Four - Have 2

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks y'all!

Here is my UNO shelf: Uno Read

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 23, 2017 10:59PM) (new)

Cathy, yes I used to be around AMMP a lot, so that's probably where you've come across me. And may be around SOS too!

message 27: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 153 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Okay so for game play ~ I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on how you'd like to play.

Personally, and from past experiences not only with Uno but with other games, I think the best course of acti..."

I agree that's the best strategy, and the spreadsheet looks great!

message 28: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments I've been listening to The Girl on the Train since we are team Rachel Watson - so far I like it. Has anyone else read the book?

message 29: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments I listened to the audio last year. The MC isn't very likable but I did end up liking it!

I have a feeling there will be some sort of mini-challenge associated with the team names/books. Wonder what it could be?!

message 30: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Good question!

message 31: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 153 comments Lol no idea what evil things the mods have prepared for us. :p

I haven't read The Girl on the Train, it's not really my type of book.

What is everybody else reading? Any standouts so far this year?

message 32: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments I just finished

All the Pretty Faces

and really enjoyed it - mystery, romance, etc.

message 33: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 24, 2017 02:41PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments So far only standout read in 2017 has been The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) by Jennifer Ashley . I just love that series!

Right now I'm just reading a cozy because I need that book for a few challenges & my NRPG. And I just got Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11) by Darynda Jones so can't wait to read it! I LOVE Charley!! I would have already started it but am waiting to see if it will work for the SOS Bingo call tomorrow first :)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's time we do some planning ahead. We should finish each hand before going to the next one, am I correct? If so, I think I'd better start looking for books to fit hand 1 then...

message 35: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Feel free to plan out your reads Preethi, but at this point, until we are further along in the game or we get a mini-challenge, we should be able to fit in almost any of your reads in one hand or another. Even if only in 1 spot. Of course, it's always good to start with the harder letters/#s (4,5,7,8,F,I,V,E)!

Jenny & I will be using the Tracking sheet to place the books in the hands where they best fit, and we may continue to move them around until the end of the month. We do have to submit the hands in order (to get all the points), but after we start completing books and are able to complete some hands, we'll have more of an idea of which cards/#s/letters we need.

message 36: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments Please welcome new team member Hannah!

message 37: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Welcome Hannah!

message 38: by Jammin Jenny (last edited Jan 26, 2017 05:52PM) (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments We have four reverses in our first few hands so if anyone is looking for something to plan, you could read books from another teammate's bookshelves.

For example, I compared my books to Cathy M's and found she read Hyde, a book I've been meaning to read. So I am going to read that and mark it as a possible reverse on the tracking spreadsheet so we can use it in one of our Uno hands as a reverse if needed. I'll fill out the other columns if any of them work too.

Let me or Cathy know if you have any questions. We need at least three more reverses in the first few hands.

message 39: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Yay welcome to the team Hannah!

I really enjoyed that one Jenny! And it was a freebie so score :D I already started entering my books, at least a couple I know I will be reading, into the spreadsheet. My books change week to week based on some of the other challenges/games I'm playing so I can't plan out too far in advance. But I already found 1 that Filipa has already read so we have another potential card for Reverse.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Filipa has read several books I've been meaning to read, so I can also read something from hers for reverse whenever needed.

I've also planned to read a couple of books that fit no 7 and one that fits no 6 so far, Jenny.

message 41: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Preethi wrote: "Filipa has read several books I've been meaning to read, so I can also read something from hers for reverse whenever needed.

I've also planned to read a couple of books that fit no 7 and one that..."

That's great Preethi. If you want, go ahead and enter your information for your planned books in the team tracking spreadsheet. Both Cathy and I have entered three books so far that we plan on reading.

Everyone can use that first sheet to track books they plan to read or books they have read during the challenge.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the info, Jenny. I entered a few books that I will definitely read soon.

message 43: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 153 comments I have no idea what I'll be reading yet, I never plan my books in advance. But there are several on Preethi and Cathy's shelves that I want to read soon, so I think we'll be ok on Reverses. :)

message 44: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Great!

message 45: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 27, 2017 11:43AM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments We're off to a good start! We definitely have enough books for Reverse so that's not a problem. I went through and looked at what was entered on the spreadsheet and marked the ones I've read before.

I'm the same, Filipa. Because of the different games/challenges I'm playing, my reading usually changes week to week. I have a list of about 30 books I would like to read in February but we'll see if I make through half that list!

Jenny, I noticed you added the Charley Davidson book (1st one). I really really hope you like it! I think book 3 was the point where I started really loving the series. I just started #11 last night (only 2 chpts so far) but am STILL loving it :) She's snarky, and funny, and a little ditzy, but a lot of fun.

message 46: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments I'm looking forward to that one - it's on order currently at the library...

message 47: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments We have a little over 2 days remaining until the start of the game. Everyone ready???

The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). HERE = is the countdown clock.

For major cities, here is also a guide to go by:

Tokyo: 5pm, 1st February
London: 8am, 1st February
New York: 3am, 1st February
San Francisco: Midnight, 1st February

Books cannot be started before the start date so if you are in the middle of or just started reading something, please make sure you either finish it before the start or at least don't count it for this game!

message 48: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Hannah. Can you please post your UNO 2017 book shelf link in this thread? Many thanks. Jenny

message 49: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Hannah hasn't checked in yet. I sent her a PM last night but she hasn't responded yet.

message 50: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 153 comments Hopefully she'll check in soon.

It's almost time to start, yay! :) I just have to finish The Impossible Boy by Anna Martin before wednesday, but it's really good so far.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7