Diversity in All Forms! discussion

The Underground Railroad
This topic is about The Underground Railroad
Monthly Bonus Reads > The Underground Railroad (February 2017)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1432 comments Mod
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

Just started this today :)

I'm very surprised to learn how much more progressive South Caroline was compared to the rest of the south. This was something I was very unaware of.

✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "This book just won the 2017 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction!"

Are you reading it? :)

message 6: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments Mariah wrote: "✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "This book just won the 2017 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction!"

Are you reading it? :)"

Hi, Mariah! I plan to, but I haven't started it yet. :D Will probably do so this coming weekend.

I had no idea South Carolina was more progressive than the rest of the South either! Looking forward to reading this!

✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "Mariah wrote: "✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "This book just won the 2017 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction!"

Hi, Mariah! I plan to, but I haven't started it ye..."

Awesome! I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions on the book :)
And also don't get me wrong, South Carolina was still awful to black people, but at least they didn't have slavery at the time of when this book took place.

Raymond | 85 comments Mariah wrote: "✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "Mariah wrote: "✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "This book just won the 2017 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction!"

Hi, Mariah! I plan to,..."

Just keep reading you will find that South Carolina is not all that progressive as it seems to be.

message 9: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments Raymond wrote: "Mariah wrote: "✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "Mariah wrote: "✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "This book just won the 2017 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction!"

Hi, Mar..."

Will do! Thanks for the tip, Raymond!

Raymond wrote: "Mariah wrote: "✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "Mariah wrote: "✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "This book just won the 2017 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction!"

Hi, Mar..."

yeah…. I found that out… dang…

message 11: by La Tonya (new) - added it

La Tonya  Jordan | 258 comments I have not read this book. But, I do plan on reading it in 2017.

Finished the book today! Here is my review :)
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments Mariah wrote: "Finished the book today! Here is my review :)
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

That was fast! I haven't even started yet :D

✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰ wrote: "Mariah wrote: "Finished the book today! Here is my review :)
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

That was fast! I haven't even started yet :D
"

bahahaha that is hilarious! I'm not as impressive as I sound. The book is a super fast read and I have a ton of books I need to get through this month, so I read it first knowing that I could finish it right away :p

message 15: by Brina (new) - added it

Brina I attempted to read this last year but it wasn't my taste. I enjoyed Homegoing much more. Glad that others liked this book because it's up for all sorts of awards.

Brina wrote: "I attempted to read this last year but it wasn't my taste. I enjoyed Homegoing much more. Glad that others liked this book because it's up for all sorts of awards."

That is exactly how I felt when reading this book. I was a little disappointed. I've never read Homegoing. Is that by the same author?

Raymond | 85 comments That is exactly h..."

No, Homecoming is by Yaa Gyasi. I hear its good but I haven't read it.

message 18: by Brina (new) - added it

Brina Homegoing was easily in my top five of books read last year. If you haven't read it yet, you should it is really good.

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I loved the book! Despite there being a real Underground Railway, it was great.

Luffy wrote: "I loved the book! Despite there being a real Underground Railway, it was great."

I am glad you really liked the book!

I remember that Homegoing was suggested for this month but The Underground Railway won the votes. We should read that book some month :)

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? (whatchatreadin) Brina wrote: "I attempted to read this last year but it wasn't my taste. I enjoyed Homegoing much more. Glad that others liked this book because it's up for all sorts of awards."

I did read this last year and it wasn't as good for me as I was hoping it would be.

I was intrigued though by the use of a read underground railroad. It reminded me of the Real Housewives of Atlanta and one of the ladies on there thought there was an actual railroad....

Lorrea(WhatChaReadin'?) wrote: "Brina wrote: "I attempted to read this last year but it wasn't my taste. I enjoyed Homegoing much more. Glad that others liked this book because it's up for all sorts of awards."

I did read this l..."

yeah... I definitely saw that at times...

Jeanne | 48 comments Just finished Underground Railroad today and really enjoyed it: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I liked Homegoing, too, although perhaps this one more. Homegoing is more realistic in tone, but both are epics – Homegoing the journey of a family, Underground Railroad one woman's. Homegoing's plot was more realistic, while Underground Railroad took excursions into fantasy (sometimes feeling like A Handmaid's Tale). Glad we chose this! Thanks!

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Starting this today! Library came through at last - long waiting list.

Jeanne wrote: "Just finished Underground Railroad today and really enjoyed it: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I liked Homegoing, too, although perhaps this one more. Homegoing is more realisti..."

Interesting! I definitely want to read Homegoing at some point :) Hopefully it will be a future book for our book club :)

aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Starting this today! Library came through at last - long waiting list."

Yay! So excited to hear what you think :)

message 28: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited Feb 14, 2017 11:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I think the story is an inside out mirror of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

This is a novel about the hopelessness of escaping slavery, I believe, if taken in its entirety. It is a treatise arguing the position that slavery is a disease without a cure for anyone, despite the instinct for making myths to soften its bite. It is very very very very sad and bleak, no happy endings, no true hope at all unless you think the maintenance of hope is good enough and all that is necessary. I do not believe in endless unsatisfied unfulfilled hope, myself, as good enough. To me, unfulfilled hopes are falsified, ultimately enraging, comforts and lies.

Even if one can get their body free from enslavement, Whitehead says bodies may be all scarred up inside as well as outside, mentally and physically. There is No Escape, just like there wasn't a real railroad system that had been built underground...people may have needed the fantasy, but it is a pyrrhic fantasy.

Jeanne | 48 comments I am an optimist, which may frame the way that I read Railroad. While the Indiana chapter ends poorly, Cora – and others – escape. Whiteside foretold endings for the escapees, which were surprisingly rosy. While Cora's body is scarred, her mind expanded throughout the book and continued to do so. Even the ending felt hopeful for me.

Raymond | 85 comments For those who haven't read The Underground Railroad, you can listen to a free audio streaming of it from BBC at this link: http://bookriot.com/2017/02/21/bbc-re...
Its only available for the next 25 days.

Jeanne | 48 comments Or even for those of us who have. Thanks!

Raymond | 85 comments Jeanne wrote: "Or even for those of us who have. Thanks!"

I agree with that, I might listen to it and see what I missed when I read it. No problem.

message 33: by Joy (new) - added it

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 53 comments I’m finally getting to this book. Very sobering. I was surprised about the SC chapter as well, makes me want to go look up some things. Last I knew, they were with the South in the War Between the States so...

Sarah Rigg | 134 comments I just wanted to mention that historical fiction with a very slight speculative fiction twist is par for the course for Whitehead. I read his first book, "The Intuitionist," and it has a similar conceit: It's set during a time very much like our Jim Crow period and the one small difference that makes it speculative fiction is that the Elevator Inspectors Union has a lot of political power. (I recommend that one too - really good.)

Same thing with "Underground Railroad." Whitehead did a great deal of research and read a lot of real slave narratives in writing UR.

Here's one interview where he talks about his research:
http://www.bookclubcentral.org/2017/0...