SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Para-Themed TV Shows & Movies > Para-Fantasy-Themed TV Shows of 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jan 22, 2017 07:20PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens due on Amazon Prime in 2018
Gaiman has scripted all six episodes of TV adaptation of his and Pratchett’s comic novel (Good Omens) about the end of the world, originally published in 1990

Guardian article: https://amp.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 2: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I actually haven't read the book but this looks good! I think it will be on the BBC as well. Need to get reading ;)

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments I haven't read it either but have several friends who recommended it.

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Siren (Freeform 29 Mar 2018)
In the mermaid-obsessed sea town of Bristol Cove, everyone's lives will change when actual mermaids come ashore, causing sides to be taken, loyalties to be tested and a war between man and mermaid to begin.
Trailer: https://youtu.be/jL7we2dogoU

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments I’m not sure if this is planned to air in 2018 or not, but I saw this on io9: FX is developing a Welcome to Night Vale show, which is based on the podcast and book by the same name (Welcome to Night Vale).

message 6: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Altered Carbon is coming to Netflix @ 2 Feb 2018
Based on series: Altered Carbon

Hubby and I have listened to the first book; it was an interesting sci-fi

message 7: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Electric Dreams is available on Amazon Prime
Based on series: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

I have yet, but I want to check this out. Anyone read the book?

message 8: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Krypton aired on SyFy 21 Mar 2018
The untold story of Superman's grandfather as he fights for justice on his home planet.
Syfy: http://www.syfy.com/krypton

message 9: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments The Passage Adaption to air on Fox (not sure if that's the US Fox or UK Fox, probably US though)

Here's the description of the Fox drama: The Passage begins as a character-driven government conspiracy thriller and morphs into a post-apocalyptic saga with vampires. The potential series spans over a century and focuses on a young girl named Amy who must save the human race.

More here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments If this happens, it probably won't be out until 2019, but there's a Charmed reboot in the works:
HR: 'Charmed' Reboot Lands CW Pilot Order
TV Line: Charmed Reboot: How Does The CW's Pilot Compare to the Original Series?

message 11: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments The Outpost Syfy 10 Jul 2018
The Outpost centers on Talon, who is the lone survivor of a race called "Blackbloods". When she sets off to the edge of civilization to track her family's killers, she discovers she possesses a mysterious supernatural power that she must learn to control.
(Based on book: Outpost by W. Michael Gear)

message 12: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Apr 12, 2018 02:04PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments The Crossing aired on ABC 2 Apr 2018
The Crossing revolves around refugees from a war torn country who start showing up seeking asylum in a U.S. city... but the country these people are from is America, and the war they are fleeing is 500 years in the future.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QbKx...

message 13: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Marvel's Cloak & Dagger airs 7 Jun 2018 @ Freeform
This is an adaptation of the beloved Marvel characters whose story is aimed squarely at young adults. This live-action interracial romance follows Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart - but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging. "Marvel's Cloak and Dagger" is a co-production of Marvel Television and ABC Signature Studios.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_4n...

message 14: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Siren aired 22 Mar @ Freeform
In the mermaid-obsessed sea town of Bristol Cove, everyone's lives will change when actual mermaids come ashore, causing sides to be taken, loyalties to be tested and a war between man and mermaid to begin.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL7we...

message 15: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Apr 12, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Lost in Space airs on Netflix 13 Apr 2018
After crash-landing on an alien planet, the Robinson family fights against all odds to survive and escape. But they're surrounded by hidden dangers.
Starring: Molly Parker, Toby Stephens, Max Jenkins
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmM0...
Netflix: https://www.netflix.com/title/80104198

message 16: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Apr 12, 2018 03:23PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Impulse (Jumper spin-off) a YouTube Red Original series in development
The new series is an adaptation of Steven Gould's Impulse, the third book in his teleportation series. The first book in the series is Jumper, which you might remember was adapted as a big budget action film back in 2008 starring Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen. That film's director, Doug Liman, is producing the 10-episode series, which stars Maddie Hasson as 16-year-old Henry Coles, the new girl in town who discovers her ability to teleport.
Trailer: https://youtu.be/PFH046Fh3ps

More: http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/first-tr...

message 17: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Steph wrote: "Siren (Freeform 29 Mar 2018)
In the mermaid-obsessed sea town of Bristol Cove, everyone's lives will change when actual mermaids come ashore, causing sides to be taken, loyalties to be tested and a..."

I've seen this on Hulu...I keep forgetting to check it out. Anyone watched it yet? I love me some creepy mermaids.

message 18: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Steph wrote: "Electric Dreams is available on Amazon Prime
Based on series: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

I have yet, but I want to check this out. Anyone read the book?"

Nope. Every time I see this book, it's giving me that intimidating 'classic' cover...so it remains on my 'to-read-one-day' shelf.

message 19: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Steph wrote: "If this happens, it probably won't be out until 2019, but there's a Charmed reboot in the works:
HR: 'Charmed' Reboot Lands CW Pilot Order
TV Line: Charmed Reboot: How Does The CW's Pilot Compare ..."

I'm down for this. It's kind of weird when we don't have some type of witch show on the air...

message 20: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments We watched all of Electric Dreams; some were definitely better than others. Felt a little like Amazon's shot at a Black Mirror-type show, even though it was based on a book(s) already published.

I'll definitely check out Charmed, but (as I mentioned on the movie thread) I'm kinda over everyone doing all of these reboots. I wish they'd just write something original and new.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments As much as I loved Charmed at the time, I don't want to see it all over again. I agree with Steph that I'm over all the reboots of recent years, there's been some dreadful ones, but I must admit that there have been one or two that I prefer to the originals.

I want to see more new stuff too, and there's so many books that are begging to be adapted to TV or movies.

A Discovery of Witches is being adapted right now too. I just really hope it's done justice to, that being the main problem with many an adaptation.

message 22: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments I definitely don't want to see the same thing done over. I wonder if they'll change up the series/stories at all or if it'll just be a redo of old.

I haven't read those books, but have one TBR. Not sure if I'll get to it before the show though. Maybe that'd be a good thing?

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Steph, that series is awesome! There are admittedly some issues (like most books) and TBH the first one I slogged through till about halfway and then... I flew through the rest of it AND the next two. And based on the fact that I have 0 interest in Elizabethan history (the majority of book 2) that is really something!

Re the adaptation- well I think that as long as I don't expect to be wowed, then it's got to be okish?

Although, despite some issues, I do think that The Handmaids Tale was way better than the book as I really didn't get how it was written. And the totally original season 2 is to come, and this is where I think many adaptations really take off, when they outlast or move away from the source material.

message 24: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Well, I've got the first TBR, so we'll see. Maybe I'll get to it ... eventually :)

I really enjoyed the Handmaids Tale show as well. I'm anxious to watch S02, but I'll probably wait till it's done so I can binge. I've been spoiled by the ability to do that and now hating waiting, even a week, for another episode of some shows.

message 25: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Herekittykitty wrote: "Re the adaptation- well I think that as long as I don't expect to be wowed, then it's got to be okish? "

I think that sounds as positive as possible without actually being optimistic. LOL. Well said.

Steph wrote: "I've been spoiled by the ability to do that and now hating waiting, even a week, for another episode of some shows."

^I have that same problem now. It used to be normal to watch a show week-to-week. Now, you can wolf them down in a weekend on some platforms.

I'm kind of doing the same thing with the second season of Westworld. I want to know...but I want to know all at once...

message 26: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments LOL! Yeah, those steaming services have spoiled us. Most shows I’m able to wait and anxious to watch weekly. But some are just better viewed all at once - or close to.

Downside: It’s easier to pick out continuity mistakes.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments I think so Holly!

And Steph, as a primarily binge reader, I have also come to appreciate binge watching so I'm the same! But with THT I don't think I'll be able to wait as I'm so desperate for the story to move on...

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michker) | 35 comments i watched the siren and these are noT just pretty mermaids they are angry and mad , they look like CGI THOUGH WHEN THEY ARE in the water...didnt know it was a series i looks good i should check out the books

message 29: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments Just finished the first season of Happy. It was dark and vomit-inducing but good!

message 30: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments @Michelle & Midu, these are good things to know!

message 31: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments LOL Midu!

We haven't watched either, but I'll keep them in mind when looking for something new. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

message 32: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments Steph wrote: "LOL Midu!

We haven't watched either, but I'll keep them in mind when looking for something new. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!"

Holly wrote: "@Michelle & Midu, these are good things to know!"

Just realized this was probably not the best way to sell the shows to you guys lol

message 33: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments ;)

message 34: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments @Midu...on the contrary, you used precisely the right words to pique my interest...

message 35: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments Holly wrote: "@Midu...on the contrary, you used precisely the right words to pique my interest..."

Lol yaay!

message 36: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments LOL

message 37: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments V-Wars (2018?) based on series by Jonathan Maberry (V-Wars)
Dr. Luther Swann, who enters a world of horror when a virus is released in ice melting due to climate change. This disease transforms his best friend, Michael Fayne, into a murderous predator who feeds when he has the hunger. As the disease spreads and more people are transformed, society fractures into camps pitting normal people against the growing number of these sex vampires. Swann races against time to understand what's happening, while Fayne rises to become the powerful underground leader of the vampires. Until revolution and a new election.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7403736/

message 38: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments Interesting...

message 39: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments I will definitely watch, even though this is the only series of his I haven't read. I'm wondering if it's stalled though b/c there's no solid date info and 2018 is 1/2 over, but it did list Ian Somerhalder, Adrian Holmes, Jacky Lai starring. We'll see.

message 40: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Not sure when this will air, it's currently listed on IMDB as "in development"; Joss Whedon is creating a show for Netflix: The Nevers
The Nevers, an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

message 41: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 217 comments YOU SAID THE MAGIC WORDS 'JOSS WHEDON!'

message 42: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments I know, right! 😁

message 43: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 25, 2018 09:12AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Colony Cancelled – No Season 4 USA Network has cancelled Colony after three seasons, with no Season 4 for the alien invasion drama, RenewCancelTV has confirmed.

Per sources, the decision to cancel the series came after a significant ratings drop, which sealed the show’s fate despite active plans for Season 4.

With the cancellation Colony‘s July 25 season finale now stands as the cliffhanger series ender.

UGGGGGHHHHH! I hate when that happens! 🤬

message 44: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments Yep, so do I!!!!!

message 45: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments The Haunting of Hill House (12 Oct 2018 / Netflix)
Based on the novel The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6763664/

message 46: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Tidelands (14 Dec 2018 / Netflix)
Tidelands follows the story of a former criminal who returns home to the small fishing village of Orphelin Bay. When the body of a local fisherman washes ashore, she must uncover the town's secrets while investigating its strange inhabitants, who are a group of dangerous half-sirens, half-humans called "Tidelanders".

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6898970

message 47: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments The Protector (14 Dec 2018 / Netflix)
Given mystical powers by a talismanic keepsake, a young man embarks on a quest to fight shadowy forces and solve a mystery from his past.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7668518

message 48: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Diablero (21 Dec 2018 / Netflix)
Diablero, based on the book El Diablo me obligó by F. G. Haghenbeck, is a horror fantasy thriller centered around Father Ramiro Ventura, a fallen priest who finds himself seeking the aid of legendary "diablero" or demon hunter Elvis Infante. With the aid of Nancy Gama, a modern day superhero, this improbable trio sets in motion a series of events that could determine the fate of mankind.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7414954

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 349 comments Thanks for all these Steph!

message 50: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29020 comments Welcome :D

« previous 1