Behind the Name Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tabitha (last edited Jan 22, 2017 05:44PM) (new)

Tabitha (chigangrel) | 40 comments Mod
Polling is complete and our theme for February 2017 is:

Damsels in Shining Armor & Dudes in Distress
Based on the list - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

With Valentine's Day around the corner and the month of "romance" about to begin, it should be fun to read a reversal of the classic 'damsels in distress' trope where the woman is the hero saving her romantic interest (doesn't need to be a dude necessarily). You don't have to chose a book from the list provided if you don't want to; so long as it fits the theme it's welcome!

So you have a few days to chose a book. Feel free to share your choice here and once you finish it, be sure to come on back and share your thoughts on yours and others' chosen reads :) And it's perfectly ok for people to read the same book-- if one strikes your fancy and happens to have been chosen by someone else, that's just fine! You'll have more talk about haha

message 2: by Tabitha (last edited Feb 06, 2017 12:19PM) (new)

As for what I plan to read-- I'm currently torn between two books I've had for a while that I believe fit this theme: Fortune's Pawn and Soulless. I suppose as the time draws nearer I'll decide whether I'm more in the mood for sci-fi or fantasy lol

eta: Yeah, I'm reading Fortune's Pawn. I've heard a lot of good things about it so I'm excited!

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina S (glasswater) | 6 comments I'm definitely going to be reading Sabriel, it's been on my mind for many years (the cover art is legendary!). And I think now is a good time to read it as it seems relatively simple and fun which is exactly what I need when I'm going through the stress of (hopefully) moving to another state.

message 4: by Sadie-Janae (new)

Sadie-Janae | 13 comments I'm undecided between The Seance or Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot. Decisions, decisions!

message 5: by Sadie-Janae (new)

Sadie-Janae | 13 comments So I've changed my mind completely and opted for The Golden Compass :)

message 6: by Jazmin (new)

Jazmin  Hunt (jazziejaneh) | 3 comments I think I might read Howl's Moving Castle. It was my favorite movie as a kid, so reading the source material could be a nice experience.

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Kristina S (glasswater) | 6 comments @ Jazmin Ooooh I wanna read Howl's Moving Castle! I've heard that Sophie and Howl have a lot amusing banter/arguments that aren't in the movie. I'm totally gonna read that after I finish Sabriel.

message 8: by Norah (new)

Norah | 9 comments I'm not a big fan of teen fantasy type stuff, so I've been looking for something Girl With The Dragon Tattoo-ish. Any recommendations?? I'm thinking The Butterfly Garden, which a friend assured me is within the realm of the theme, but if anyone has anything they think would be a better fit, I would love to hear about it :)

message 9: by Tabitha (new)

Norah wrote: "looking for something Girl With The Dragon Tattoo-ish. Any recommendations?? I'm thinking The Butterfly Garden"

That book sounds interesting! I don't know about a book like GwtDT (personally I didn't like that book!)-- I did a bit of searching to find a sci-fi one that fit for myself :P I tried looking for a good one for you. How about one of these: No Greater Sacrifice, Masquerade, 1st to Die, or maybe something by J.D. Robb, Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Carol O'Connell, Patricia Cornwell, Dana Stabenow, Cara Black, or Alex Kava.

If you're open to comics, the Whiteout books aren't bad.

message 10: by Keri (new)

Keri (keri91) | 1 comments I recommend you all read Howl's Moving Castle! It was way different but I loved it regardless. It was very cute!

I have no idea what to read for this one, so I think I'll just steal some of your guys' reccs and see!

message 11: by Tabitha (new)

Rachael wrote: "I'm wondering why February doesn't have a Black History theme. Nothing wrong with this theme, but it just doesn't interest me much. I'll probably participate in other months."

We had a theme suggestion thread back in Jan and "love" of some kind seemed to be a popular choice a la Valentine's Day. We can definitely do something for Black History month next Feb though! The suggestion thread is still open if you have any specific suggestions with regards to it or lists in mind for an idea. Also, themes don't necessarily need to coincide with holidays or celebrations in said month; if you have a particular idea in mind for any month, please share: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Like I said in other threads, I may be the only mod right now but I don't want an iron rule-- I'm more than happy to accept any suggestions! :)