Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > Tudor Television

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Since the Tudors do pop up on TV, in both documentaries and dramas, I thought we needed a place to discuss them. Or just say when we've noticed one coming on, for that matter.

message 2: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Jan 22, 2017 04:39PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments And I was moved to create this thread on seeing that there's a documentary "Secrets of the Six Wives" appearing on PBS in the US. This evening at 10, on both UNC-TV and SCETV, at any rate (not all PBS stations follow the same schedule).

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 99 comments @Susanna: FYI: I am also really excited that either Starz or Showtime is making a miniseries out of The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #5) by Philippa Gregory , which starts in the next monthor so.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 41 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "And I was moved to create this thread on seeing that there's a documentary "Secrets of the Six Wives" appearing on PBS in the US. This evening at 10, on both UNC-TV and SCETV, at any rate (not all ..."

Thanks for the heads-up; just set it to record! And in my neck of the woods, it's followed up by the 2015 "Inside the Court of Henry VIII." Which I didn't see then, so planning on watching now.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraajohnsonrn) I've seen the first episode as it was on YouTube and most of the second. I liked it

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Natalie wrote: "@Susanna: FYI: I am also really excited that either Starz or Showtime is making a miniseries out of The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #5) by Philippa Gregory, which starts in the next monthor so."

Thank you for the info. I watched the "White Queen" that was on STARZ a couple of years ago (believe it was based on both White & Red Queen books). It was wonderful. Really looking forward to the follow-up, The White Princess.

Does anyone know a release date yet?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I believe I've seen Inside the Court of Henry VIII - just as well, as neither PBS station I get is airing it tonight. I'm looking forward to Secrets of the Six Wives, though.

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 99 comments @Jennifer: I think that The miniseries for The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #5) by Philippa Gregory is premiering around the beginning or middle of next month. I will tell you for sure once I attempt to record the season.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Thanks. Do you know on what network?

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraajohnsonrn) It'll be on Starz if you're asking about the The White Princess

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 21 comments What did you think of Six Wives Susanna? I liked it but found the narrator jumping in and out of the scenes distracting. Loved that they visited other places that have significance to the history (Hever, the Vatican Library etc.)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I liked it, though Lucy Worsley jumping in and out of scenes was a little distracting until I got used to it. I don't know that I've ever seen this technique used before.

The visit to the Vatican library (and the letters!) was great, as were the trips to Hever, St. George's Chapel, etc. I'd never seen what was left of the shrine at Walsingham, either.

message 13: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 99 comments My mom and I have also watched several movies about Elizabeth I in the recent past, including Anne of the Thousand Days. We have enjoyed most of them. We also watched Mary of Scotland with Katharine Hepburn last May. We thought it was well done despite knowing the dark ending. Oh, and we watched a couple episodes of Wolf Hall a year or so ago., which we enjoyed.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah  | 4 comments Wolf Hall is truly something to be savored. The soundtrack is beautiful, the costumes, the setting, the acting. Absolutely enchanting and haunting. :) Oh, and Mark Rylance is a top celebrity crush of mine, which helps!

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 21 comments Absolutely Hannah! Wolf Hall is by far my favorite production referencing this time period thus far! Your description above is everything I felt about the show (and Mark Rylance) too! :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Tonight on "Secrets of the Six Wives": "Beheaded" and "Died" - I smell Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour.

message 17: by Aled (new)

Aled Davies | 11 comments The colours of our petals Accurate and raw. The shadowy rise of the first Tudor. Free on Kindle for five days.

message 18: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Feb 24, 2017 09:39AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Are they turning it into a TV series? This thread is for the Tudors on TV.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Thank You for the thread. I have "un-plugged" and STARZ still does not offer a stand alone streaming for Apple TV, so I will have to figure out how to watch it.

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex | 43 comments Susanna, thank you for posting the info about Secrets of the Six Wives! I finally got around to watching it and quite enjoyed it, and I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't posted. So thank you!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I'm glad you enjoyed it - I did, as well.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments I see Wolf Hall is on Netflix. I hated the book. so I have stayed away from watching it. Is the TV show better than the books? Worth watching?

How many episodes currently are there of Wolf Hall?

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah  | 4 comments There are six episodes of Wolf Hall.

What didn't you like about the book? If you didn't like Mantel's writing style, the show may have appeal for you. If you didn't like Cromwell or the other characters, you won't like the show.

message 24: by Marian (new)

Marian Natalie wrote: "@Susanna: FYI: I am also really excited that either Starz or Showtime is making a miniseries out of The White Princess (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels #5; The Cousins' War #5) by Philippa Gregory, which starts in the next monthor so."

I heard about this as well Natalie:)Hubby and I just finished watching (again)"The White Queen" and we both still love it!

message 25: by Marian (new)

Marian Hannah wrote: "There are six episodes of Wolf Hall.

What didn't you like about the book? If you didn't like Mantel's writing style, the show may have appeal for you. If you didn't like Cromwell or the other cha..."

I would have to agree with you Hannah.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Speaking of Wolf Hall, I believe they're re-airing it on PBS soon.

message 27: by Marian (new)

Marian Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Speaking of Wolf Hall, I believe they're re-airing it on PBS soon."

I wonder Susanna,if Hillary Mantel's 3rd book is out yet?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The publication dates on that one keep getting pushed back. The only one I've heard recently is "2017."

message 29: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer | 13 comments Tudor Monastery Farm is my favourite Tudor related TV series. One of several series presented by Ruth Goodman among others that shows how ordinary people lived in the past.

message 30: by Rivkah (new)

Rivkah (rsk5041) | 12 comments What channel

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I don't think it's aired on TV in the US. I believe it's a BBC program. (I believe it's on Youtube?)

message 32: by Marian (new)

Marian Your right Susanna,it is on You Tube.

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 30 comments Looking for Secrets of the Six Wives. Only previews on YouTube. Any idea where to find it? Thanks

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments This looks like they have complete episodes on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... .

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 30 comments Thank you! Not sure why this one didn't come up when I searched. Afternoon planned!

message 36: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 99 comments We watched the finale of The White Princess yesterday. We enjoyed it. We do not know if/when it is coming back for season two.

message 37: by Marian (new)

Marian Has anybody heard anything yet?

message 38: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine According to online sources they are doing a second season. They may adopt a different novel, possibly the constant princess, but nothing is confirmed. I wish they wouldn't do that because it will be like the white queen where suddenly it's an entirely new cast.

message 39: by Marian (new)

Marian I did find this thou:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5705956/

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael This was originally called "Six Wives with Lucy Worsley" on the BBC and was renamed in America as "The Secrets of the Six Wives"

It will re-air in America in August
http://www.pbs.org/show/secrets-six-w...

Not sure if you can view this on Youtube in America. Most of the listings are fake.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "The publication dates on that one keep getting pushed back. The only one I've heard recently is "2017.""

Pushed back *again*. The Guardian had an interview with Mantel, who said 2018 was looking "increasingly unlikely." 2019? Let's hope so.

message 42: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Posner | 21 comments I saw this last year and although I enjoyed it, I didn't feel it offered anything really new - and the central idea of putting Lucy Worsley 'there' as a participant of the drama didn't seem, to me, to add any further realism to the reconstructions.

That said, it was great to spend time in the company of Henry and his wives and to get a feel for everyday life at the Court - and certainly worth watching.

message 43: by Esmay (last edited Aug 29, 2017 11:36AM) (new)

Esmay (ninjasmay) I absolutely loved 'The Secrets of Great British Castles' by Dan Jones. I believe it's on Netflix. It's not all about The Tudors, but it's a really interesting documentary nonetheless.

I'm very curious about Wolf Hall. I'm definitely going to add it to my watchlist. Thanks! Always nice to get new tips.

message 44: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_sometimes) | 78 comments I have to admit that while I think Philippa Gregory's writing is god-awful, I did love the Starz White Queen miniseries -- historical inaccuracies, Richard III white-washing, and all. I thought all three actresses they chose for the leads were strong. I could empathize with each of them at various points throughout the show. The actress who played Margaret of Anjou was also amazing. Intimidating as hell!

The White Princess, unfortunately, was not nearly as well done (poor Henry VII's wig is a mullet monstrosity) and the two leads were pretty terrible, IMO. Margaret Beaufort and Elizabeth Woodville were also recast in this second series, which rarely works. Overall, I think it suffered from the loss of the big cast the first series had, and just the overall drama and intrigue of the War of the Roses having ended by that time.

I also enjoyed the Wolf Hall miniseries, even though, just as with R3, I'll never buy Cromwell as a redeemable guy. Still, an entertaining re-imagining of events.

I've watched all the docs mentioned in this thread, but I'm always scouring YouTube for new ones, so I'll definitely be checking this thread lots in the future for new recs, and will post up if I discover any. :)

message 45: by Charlotte (last edited Sep 25, 2017 08:07PM) (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_sometimes) | 78 comments Esmay wrote: "I absolutely loved 'The Secrets of Great British Castles' by Dan Jones. I believe it's on Netflix. It's not all about The Tudors, but it's a really interesting documentary nonetheless.

He did one on Irish Castles, too, which I also enjoyed. If it's not still on Netflix, it was also on YouTube. :)

message 46: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Charlotte wrote: "I have to admit that while I think Philippa Gregory's writing is god-awful, I did love the Starz White Queen miniseries -- historical inaccuracies, Richard III white-washing, and all. I thought all..."

I was REALLY disappointed in The White Princess. The White Queen was so good and well done, but The White Princess was played so safe I didn't think much of it. And I agree that the recasting was unwise, I think since they waited so long to make it though they had to take that route.

message 47: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments I would really like to see this series but I haven't found it on Netflix.

message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 30 comments It was on a pay cable channel, so I don't think it will be on Netflix. You can probably find it online, though.

message 49: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments Thanks!

message 50: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_sometimes) | 78 comments Michell wrote: "I would really like to see this series but I haven't found it on Netflix."

The White Queen series is available to stream on Amazon Prime. Haven't seen The White Princess pop up anywhere, but it was a dud, anyway. EEK! ;)

« previous 1 3