Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read - The Dry > Group Read - The Dry Final Thoughts Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Comments may cover the entire book on this thread.
The book jacket summary alludes to lots of secrets - small town secrets, a terrible drought and years ago mysteries set in rural Australia. Well done? A sense of place? How did you like the book?
SPOILERS WELCOME on this topic thread

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments The setting of this book was vividly drawn, and not just the rural Australian bushland but the arid despair and brutal sun and heat of the long time drought conditions and the effects on the people in the area; the secrets were as deep as could be in a small town where everyone knows the other's business and flare-ups of anger are more common than consideration.
The deeper introductions to Luke Hadler's parents, to Gretchen the childhood friend of Luke and Aaron, the Whitlam family and Raco and his pregnant wife gave glimpses of normal families and those who turned out to be not so normal. Scott Whitlam had me fooled, Gretchen had me worried and the police aspects of the case with Raco and Aaron joining forces and pulling together all of the clues were top-rate.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments In hindsight Scott Whitlam's wife seemed to be fairly unhinged, initially ascribed to the brutal murders of her friends, but there was more beneath the surface with worry about her husband.

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments I thought it was a terrific story and it had a lot of dimesions to consider. The characters were really good and i too was fooled by whitlam. I thought it rediculously brave for him to invite falk to his home for dinner and glimpse his life and potentially expose his motive if his wife commented on his gambling. His ability to be composed after killing billy was very telling of his probable psychopath personality even though he did seem to regret it.

Gretchen is the only loose end whether luke is her sons father.

The only other thing that us left open is the continuing drought and whether it will break soon enough to prevent the whole town dying.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1201 comments I really enjoyed the book too. I actually read this one and thought the author had a nice style that really made the pages flow quickly. The ending also came together nicely.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Jack: I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that Whitlam was seriously considering setting a devastating fire after his cold hearted murders. I think he befriended Aaron to keep an eye on the investigation. His gambling did him in, if he staysd away from the poker machines in the pub his ecret would likely have been safe.
Jack wrote: " i too was fooled by whitlam. I thought it rediculously brave for him to invite falk to his home for dinner and glimpse his life and potentially expose his motive if his wife commented on his gambling. His ability to be composed after killing billy was very telling of his probable psychopath personality even though he did seem to regret it..."

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments i really enjoyed this book- the flashbacks in the chapters helped to lay out the story nicely. i agree, ann, about the author's vivid description of the town and how the dry really impacted everything.
i'm glad we finally found out what happened to ellie and that luke had nothing to do with it. i kind of suspected that her father or her cousin were somehow involved.
although whitlam was a surprise, part of me thought, well of course it was him!

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1201 comments Sherry wrote: "i really enjoyed this book- the flashbacks in the chapters helped to lay out the story nicely.

i'm glad we finally found out what happened to ellie and that luke had nothing to do with it. i kind of suspected that her father or her cousin were somehow involved.
although whitlam was a surprise, part of me thought, well of course it was him! "

I agree with you about Whitlam and was impressed that it was a surprise but it did not seem to come out of left field.

message 9: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments Good point, Chikako. Maybe the mother didn't really run off either, but was killed too.

I really enjoyed the book. The first couple of "flashbacks" seemed awkward & clumsy. But once I got used to the back-and-forth style, it worked!

Great atmosphere & dual mysteries. Another very solid group read!

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Russ and Chikako:
It was VERY bad that Ellie's mother abandoned her and criminal knowing her father as she must have been aware. That is a thought, perhaps she didn't actually abandon her daughter.... makes you wonder.

Russ wrote: "Good point, Chikako. Maybe the mother didn't really run off either, but was killed too.

I really enjoyed the book. The first couple of "flashbacks" seemed awkward & clumsy. But once I got used to ..."

message 11: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments You're right Chikako, the book never said her mother was killed. That was just me speculating.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Chikako: I found that to be one of the layers of depth to this book: we don't know things throughout the book, and even in the end are left to wonder about some things. What happened to Elie's mother was in the back of my mind as I read wondering how she could have left a child with that horrible man - and whether she had actually left her with intent to do it.
Russ wrote: "You're right Chikako, the book never said her mother was killed. That was just me speculating."

message 13: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments I see the sequel is coming out later this month!

Force of Nature

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Russ: That is exciting news! Looks like you will get your shot at it in Australia before the US release in Feb-2018. I am eager to read it!

Russ wrote: "I see the sequel is coming out later this month!

Force of Nature"

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Plot sounds great! Looking forward to it.

message 16: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments Ann, I think you're right. I was confused because Goodreads sent me an email saying that book is coming out this month.

But not so here in the US?

I think they shouldn't send out emails until the book is actually coming out in the reader's country.

message 17: by Gez (new)

Gez (bookyegg) | 3 comments Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I had a quick look but couldn't see. Have just finished the book and really enjoyed it but there is one thing I'm unsure about. Hope someone can help!

In the final chapter when Falk opens the bag he finds an ID card for a Sharna McDonald. Have I forgotten something from earlier in the book? Who was Sharna? In the same part of the book it says Ellie made the motel reservation under the name of Falk so I am guessing it was not fake ID she had. Can anyone shed any light?