Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read - The Dry > Group Read - The Dry Chapters 11-20 Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments This segment is for discussion of Chapters 11-20 of Jane Harper's The Dry. SPOILERS WELCOME
The first to post please provide a brief summary of this set of chapters to guide the discussion. Thanks!

message 2: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments Chapter 11
Falk and raco go to Karen work at the towns school. They meet the principal Scott Whitlam and see the school is desperate for funding.
They're how the effects of the drought are felt in the kids through their depressing paintings. Whitlam recounts the last time he saw Karen. She had had been distracted about problems and the farm was going under. Billy was meant to be at his house playing with his daughter but Karen cancelled it.

Chapter 12
The are leaving the school and discussing bringing in the Clyde detectives. Gretchen spots him and asks why he's still there. He explains his looking into Luke's financials for Gerry and barb but asks her to keep it secret for now. She says people already know cops are digging. They make plans for a date.
They decide to keep the case to themselves for now.
They go to the police station and there is sargent barnes and the receptionist leaving for the day.
Falk recounts the police interviews with his dad and himself when Ellie deacon died. They left town after a dead calf was left on their doorstep.
They don't find any clues in karen's things.

Chapter 13
In town Falk buys some clothes. The grateful owner and other closed shops highlight the droughts effect on the towns economy.
Falk goes to Luke's farm looks around and goes to the river which is dry.

Chapter 14
Still at the river Falk finds a special spot he and Ellie had found 'the rock tree'
A flashback to when they kissed and Ellie was taken aback. They keep the rock tree and kiss secret.
another flashback about him, Luke and ellie going through puberty and ellie no longer with them. She re-joined the group when 15. Luke then starts dating Gretchen and the group of 4 is formed.

Chapter 15
Still at the rock tree he heads to his childhood home. Meets the current resident who still seems to face problems with living in the falks home after what happened 20yrs ago.

Chapter 16
Gretchen and Falk meet up in the pub. They talk about Luke and there is a flash back to a time when they were together and Luke upset the group.

Chapter 17
In the pub grant Dow confronts them Falk scares him off by being official and get his take on Luke's death for the record.
Slightly intimate parting of Falk and Gretchen.
Barman David mcmurdo thanks Falk for dealing with Dow peacefully. They drink together. Mcmurdo explains Luke had repeated run-ins with Dow.
Falk gets a message from Gerry to go to the farm tomorrow.

Chapter 18
At the farm Gerry and barb meet Falk. Barb is struggling sorting through the house.
They meet Gerry and they discuss what to do with the farm, the deacons and the trouble they caused Gerry and barb. Gerry explains how he knows the alibi was fake and someone else does too but never came forward. Gerry thinks maybe they are responsible for the murders of Luke and his family.

Chapter 19
Falk calls to see if Raco wants help but puts it off to see Gretchen. They meet at a park done up nice with some charity money.
He compared it to the school and Gretchen says they thought they might get funding for the school from another charity but missed out. At the park a mother comes over and accuses Falk of killing Ellie and want him to leave. Gretchen stands up for him but she calls her husband about it. Raco calls and tells Falk to come in as he's found out Sullivan lied.

Chapter 20
Raco and Falk question Sullivan about his alibi. He says he was out on drive. Falk thinks he is covering up an affair but Sullivan denies it.
Falk finds his car scrawled on.

In my book this is page 175 of 339 or 51%

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack | 179 comments The townspeople are really giving falk a hard time even all these years later. Glad raco and gretchen are a buffer to help him to continue the investigation. The scene with the bar owner mcmurdo was good, makes you wonder if grant dow had anything to do with the hadlers deaths.

Sullivan is a real possibilty after lyung about being home all night.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments Grant Dow and his uncle definitely give off a bad vibe to me. I'm glad that Raco is an outsider to the town because Falk would not have a chance to find out what really happened since all the natives seem to have a vested interest in him being responsible for Ellie's death. Sullivan's action seem a bit off. Why not tell them what he was doing. I like Gretchen but find her story about her son's father a bit unconvincing and wonder if there is more there. I think the author is doing a great job with the setting and whole atmosphere of a small economically depressed town that is undergoing a devastating drought.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Grant Dow and his uncle give me a bad vibe too, Sandi. And there is way too much lying going on for anyone to really be believed 100% for what they were doing when Luke, Karen and Billy died.
How sad that even his own father has to at least lightly suspect his son murdered his family because of a possible dark history from an ancient lie.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments It seems so sad that the town is still so hateful to Aaron, he doesn't seem likely to have been involved in Ellie's death - which seems to have been suicide.

message 7: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (absorbedinpages) Yes, it was so sad the town took their anger out on Aaron. To be accused of such a thing when you're innocent is tough.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3590 comments Ann wrote: "It seems so sad that the town is still so hateful to Aaron, he doesn't seem likely to have been involved in Ellie's death - which seems to have been suicide."

totally agree. hope we find out what actually happened to ellie- and is it somehow connected to the murder of luke and his family? at this point, i don't think that luke killed them.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Sherry: I especially liked the way it was presented as a question (whether Ellie's death was connected to the Hadler family's deaths) and how clues assembled to nudge us towards an answer without pushing us in either direction

message 10: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments Jack wrote: "Chapter 11
Falk and raco go to Karen work at the towns school. They meet the principal Scott Whitlam and see the school is desperate for funding.
They're how the effects of the drought are felt in ..."

Thanks for the summaries, Jack. I was away from this book for while reading other stuff, so the refresher helped!

message 11: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments Sandi wrote: "I think the author is doing a great job with the setting and whole atmosphere of a small economically depressed town..."

I agree, Sandi. Great pressure cooker atmosphere. Even though the town is wide open it almost feels like a locked-room mystery because Kiewarra has such an isolated feel to it.