Play Book Tag discussion

Moonglow
This topic is about Moonglow
Archives 2016-2017 > Moonglow/Chabon - 3 stars, teetering toward 4

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6300 comments This book is my second by Michael Chabon; the first being The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Of the two, I definitely preferred Moonglow, but somehow I can't quite decide if I like Chabon or not. Here, he tells the story of this grandfather, and it isn't quite clear what is fictional and what is true. Regardless, the grandfather is an interesting man who is obsessed with the moon and the idea of colonizing it. During World War II, he becomes determined to hunt down the Nazi scientist who created the V-2 rocket, using concentration camp laborers. He is married to a mentally ill woman with whom he is deeply in love.

These stories are interwoven with the current time period where the grandfather is dying of cancer.

Chabon jumps around in time and between storylines. This type of non-linear storytelling never seems to turn me on. As soon as I start getting engaged in one aspect of the story, the story shifts, inevitably to something of lesser interest. Something about the way Chabon starts his chapters often fails to suck me in, and that's a shame, because he does dialogue and character development really, really well. He also is excellent at weaving in a strong literary theme (even if he does hit you over the head with it a bit).

This book teetered toward the four star realm for me, but it was so easy for me to put it down that I knew I just wasn't really engaged completely.

Tip: Some chapters that start with a few paragraphs of dullness turned out to be really important. I skimmed them, and that was a mistake. Chapters 22-24 are critical, and I ended up needing to go back and re-read.

message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 1545 comments I'm pretty sure I will like this book. Sounds like my type of book. Sorry you didn't like it as much as you had hoped

Anita Pomerantz | 6300 comments Jen wrote: "I'm pretty sure I will like this book. Sounds like my type of book. Sorry you didn't like it as much as you had hoped"

I totally think you would like it, Jen. It's definitely well done, and I really enjoyed and/or appreciated chunks. I just didn't really ENJOY reading it, if you know what I mean. I want to get lost in a book, and if I don't, then there needs to be something else that really wows me to get my rating up. I didn't find that here.