All About Books discussion

Past Posts > Nominations for group classic Feb-March 2017

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments It's time once again to nominate your choices for our group classics read, this time for February and March. For convenience, we at AAB are defining a 'classic' as a book that was first published 50 or more years ago, i.e. first published in 1967 or earlier.

Nominations will be run for 5 days and will close late on January 27th (or early on the 28th!). The poll will then run for a week from the 28th of January until the 3rd of February. I apologize for the lateness of this process - next month we will be back on the 'normal' schedule.

During this time anybody can either nominate or second a book. The 6 books with the most second votes at the end of the 5 day nomination period will go into the poll. Each person can either nominate one book or second one book. There are no limits to the number of seconds a book can receive.

Please only nominate, second or vote for a book you will read with the group if it should win. Please also check that your chosen nomination hasn't been a group read in the past. You can do this by looking at the group bookshelf or browsing through the Group Fiction folder.

If you have any questions on the nominations process please post here, use the 'Ask the Moderators' thread or contact one of the moderators and we will be happy to help.

message 3: by Petra (new)

message 4: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 313 comments I second A Town Like Alice, I've had the book in one of my stacks for ages and would love to have an excuse to read it.

message 5: by Karin (last edited Jan 22, 2017 06:43PM) (new)

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7372 comments Mod
I nominate Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

message 8: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Will second A Town Like Alice

message 9: by Pink (new)

Pink I'll nominate A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I will second Cannery Row.

message 11: by Leslie (last edited Jan 23, 2017 08:23AM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Here is what we have so far:

Nominations:
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1 second)
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute (2 seconds)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (2 seconds)
A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (1 second)
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

I didn't include Julius Caesar as it is a play rather than a novel - what do the rest of you think about this? Should it be accepted in this category (group classic)?

message 12: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments Since February is Black History Month I thought I might NominateUncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

message 13: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I would like to second A Room with a View.

message 14: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
Greg wrote: "I nominate Cannery Row by John Steinbeck"

I second this! I was given this very book by my mother when we were in Monterey, now 10 years ago. And I still have to read it!!!!

message 15: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Siewjye wrote: "I nominate The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"

Seconded.

I picked up all 4 books in the Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer series last year and keep meaning to get to the rest of them.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Updated post #11

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri I nominate "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 18: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments I second The Age of Innocence on 24th Jan, Wharton's birthday. Good choice, Terri.

message 19: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Leslie, I'm okay with Caesar being nominated here.

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments B the BookAddict wrote: "Leslie, I'm okay with Caesar being nominated here."

It doesn't seem like most people have an opinion; I am glad to hear yours Bette! Thanks.

message 22: by Pink (new)

Pink Chrissie wrote: "I would like to second A Room with a View."

Thanks Chrissie!

Leslie, I have no problem with plays being chosen for group reads :)

message 23: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) I third A Room With a View. I've been wanting to read that.

message 24: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pink wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I would like to second A Room with a View."

Thanks Chrissie!

Leslie, I have no problem with plays being chosen for group reads :)"

I want to read it! Nothing to thank me for.

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 667 comments I second A Town like Alice! I read my first book by Nevil Shute last year and loved it.

message 26: by Joan (last edited Jan 25, 2017 12:07PM) (new)

Joan Wow, I will happily read any of them. I am so glad I joined this group. Uncle Tom's Cabinis my first choice though.

message 27: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I will second Cannery Row too!

message 28: by Leslie (last edited Jan 27, 2017 09:26AM) (new)

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason | 1051 comments I would like to second The Age of Innocence as well.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jason wrote: "I would like to second The Age of Innocence as well."

done - edited into post 28.

A few more hours for nominations & seconds before I set up the poll.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Another second (or third!) for The Age of Innocence!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry Leslie, I've realised I'm too late! I looked at the date for the poll closing. Silly me!

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Sorry for the delay -- was away from my computer for a few days unexpectedly.

Here is the poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 34: by Leslie (last edited Feb 07, 2017 10:05AM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments The winner of the poll was A Room with a View - I will set up the discussion thread in a few minutes.

Here is a link to the discussion thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...