What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > SF militaristic terra and artistic oriented alien. Main character is an human artist. The artist is somehow in contact with the artistic aliens... Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments A war is being fought between Earth and another power. Earth is dominated by a straightlaced PentaGON LIKE MILITARY AND THE GALACTIC POWER IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE. tHE KEY CHARACTER IS AN ARTIST WHO IS INITIALLY RIDicULED BY THE MILITARY COMMANDER ON THE SCENE BUT SOMEHOW is in touch with the alien race who appear to be more artistic than warlike in nature. At the end the artist reveals to the military that the enemy posts they are attacking are decoys and the Terrans have a victory. the aliens are disappointed in the artist but appear to be more interested in aemeliorating the militaristic bent of the terrans than beating them.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38153 comments Mod
Please add some plot details to your header to make it easier on the people searching for your book, as well as the mods, as well as anyone searching for the same book once it's solved.

When did you read this? Is it a full length novel?

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments This is a full length novel. I read it as a mass market; I believe published prior to 1975.

message 4: by Kris (last edited May 30, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Kris | 34375 comments Mod
Robert, can you tell us more about the main human character - gender, type of art s/he produces, where s/he lives, etc.?

How is artistry of the aliens expressed; what do they make?

Spoiler alert added to the topic header.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Everything the aliens do is artistic even the military stuff; the Terran military is like the stereotypical US Military from the 1950's. that's all i have.

message 6: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments following

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Protagonist is a male, an artist assigned to a Terran Military Unit attacking an alien base on a distant planet. All I can remember.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments No new info; still looking for this one!

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments still looking

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Still looking for this one

message 11: by Kris (last edited Jun 07, 2020 07:10PM) (new)

Kris | 34375 comments Mod
Is the main character (human male) a painter or sculptor?

Do you recall the opening scene? Was the artist (also soldier?) part of the original military unit (why?) or did he join the unit when _____ happened?

How does the artist communicate with the aliens (e.g., telepathically, they speak English, translation device)?

Recap: "Protagonist is a male, an artist assigned to a Terran Military Unit attacking an alien base on a distant planet."

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments No sure; all I can remember is he is attached to the military unit