SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers discussion

Member showcase U through Z > Temple Emmet Williams: Do Book Awards Help?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 1015 comments Welcome from another oldie

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments Hiya and welcome to the fun, Temple!

Personally, awards mean jack squat to me but I reckon lots of other ppl would be swayed. I'm more of a "USA Today or NYT bestselling author? Yeah, okay, I'll read the blurb..." Just me, though XP

I take it you have good results with Booksends, eh? I'm trying them soon so I hope so *smirks*

Hugs,
Ann

message 3: by Angel (new)

Angel | 66 comments Personally I don't go gaga over award winning books. It's kind of an overrated concept to me. But to each his/her own. I tend to read and review books that haven't won awards, but are really good books.

message 4: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 332 comments Welcome to the showcase, Temple!! Nice job on the awards :) I don't know much about how awards correlate to sales. I just submitted my book to be considered for an award for the first time. I think Readers Favorite is probably most recognizable from your list.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 560 comments For myself, if I don't know the name of the award, or the person/site/company that it comes from, I'm not likely to pay attention to it.
An award from a big, known name is likely to have a major effect on sales, but if the award giver is unknown or little known it probably won't help much.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 153 comments Welcome to the group Temple!

message 7: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 614 comments Hiya Temple!

Depends on if I trust the award or not. I find I actually don't like a lot of the popularity awards, but I do enjoy some of the judged awards, but then, some of that is vice versa. I do think it can boost sales though, if the award is prestigious enough.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 1015 comments I know nothing about awards. Just had to,stop by and say I love your name

message 9: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 614 comments Temple wrote: "Thanks, Nat. It's tough for Indie writers and publishers to get "big" awards. We are "the invisible." My own awards have been from Awesome Indies, B.R.A.G., Readers' Favorites, the Next Generation ..."

Some of the 'popularity' awards, your book can be nominated by the masses... so, probably won't happen, but it could.

And there are good Indie awards, but I think it's mainly indie focused writers and readers who pay attention to them, not the masses. Still, I think if I saw a book that looked interested and I found out it won an award, even if I don't know much about it, it might help sway me.

message 10: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 189 comments I entered one award for this year, the winner still yet to be determined. It had a low entry cost and it was part of a club I'm directly in, so I figured it was worthwhile.

But at one time I had several on my wish list and they had like $75 - $125 entry fees. I decided it wasn't worth it to me as I could spend those marketing dollars more wisely. I had read a lot of articles about so many awards being scams and that readers don't put much faith into them, unless they are super well known. So I looked at my novel piggy bank and went another direction.