Bright Young Things discussion

The Bright Young Things > Storm Jameson

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:39AM) (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
David...thanks for recommending that the group looks up Storm Jameson.

Perhaps you can add a few bullet points to whet our appetite for further research?

message 2: by David (last edited Jan 22, 2017 10:23AM) (new)

David Izzo | 31 comments Storm Jameson 1891-1986 Whitby England

1920 novel Three Kingdoms about the struggles of being a wife, mother, professional--a feminist theme

1933 Women Against Men, three novellas in response to Hemingway's Men Against Women

1939 In the Second Year a what if novel had British fascists taken power in England

Prominent member British PEN

Member of the Peace Pledge Union

message 3: by David (new)

David Izzo | 31 comments Ally wrote: "David...thanks for recommending that the group looks up Storm Jameson.

Perhaps you can add a few bullet points to whet our appetite for further research?"

message 4: by David (new)

David Izzo | 31 comments Ally

There is a novel called A Change of Heart which is about British authors from 1929-1933. This novel is taught by a British professor to teach that period. This is her letter to the author:

I wanted to drop you a line and say how much I like A Change of Heart, which I'm teaching at Harvard as part of my Junior Tutorial in the History and Literature department.

I often teach and write about historical fiction and so was keen to read the novel - especially to see how it manages the combination of historical research with fictional writing, and by a scholar of the period (I'd argue t hat apart from A Change of Heart, only Richard Slotkin's Abe has done this well in recent years). As a scholar of the period myself I was bowled over by how historically accurate the book is - it's scrupulously accurate. But as a literary critic as well (the balancing act of being a scholar in History and Literature!), I was thrilled to also be impressed by the dazzling prose - I was entertained and moved, and found that the rich historical details didn't bog down a brilliant read. The novel is the ultimate harmony of disciplines - and as History and Literature, and American Studies, continue to grow as fields and undergraduate concentrations, it stands as an important example. By the end of the novel I felt closer to Auden, Spender, Huxley and Isherwood than I have ever felt - a strange thing, especially coming from a Brit-in-America! They came alive, as did their work, and I began to read their writing in a new way - suddenly able to employ a new historical empathy. In fact, I also use the book when lecturing about this hot topic of "historical empathy."

Zoe Trodd

Harvard University, Committee on Degrees in History & Literature

A Change of Heart would be a very educative experience for our Members.

And yes, I am the author.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 22 comments I actually read Women Against Men a couple years ago. It was okay, but not as spectacular as some other fiction writing from this same period is. I think it suffered a bit from trying to include "issues" which force a non-novelistic technique into a novel (or novella) form.

I did quite like the third of the three pieces: A Day Out. It takes place over the course of a day (with flashbacks etc. as necessary) as opposed to the course of a whole life, and it seems more unified and controlled and just generally successful.

message 6: by Michael (last edited Jan 24, 2017 06:42AM) (new)

Michael Jarvie | 6 comments Interesting topic for this thread as I stayed in her birthplace - now a B&B whilst in Whitby.

message 7: by David (new)

David Izzo (httpwwwgoodreadscomdavidizzo) | 9 comments very cool