YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
GROUP BUDDY READ > The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - GBR - Starting February 1st 2017

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84178 comments Mod

The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins will be our 1st GBR for February 2017.

Please read at your own pace, and hide any spoilers ☺ You are welcome to join at any time during the month ☺

Happy Reading Everybody!

Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

Maria (mariasaleem) | 891 comments OMG, I have this book! Even more excited to read it now!

message 5: by A.S. (new)

A.S. Altabtabai (asbalance) | 3 comments Will read it very soon!

Halley (h8236) | 36 comments LOVEEEE this book! I will re-read! Excited to see the movie too.

Everyone says to read Gone Girl if you like this book and vis/versa. I'm much more of a Girl on The Train fan!

message 7: by Guinevere (new) - added it

Guinevere (kwini) | 160 comments I wanted to read this book since last year! Will definitely try to read it this Feb :)

Bhavik (Semi Hiatus) (bhavik_elric90) | 299 comments I did read a few chaps and then gave it up coz I got bored.
Maybe February GBR will help me through this.
I guess Danielle steel bummed me too much.

message 9: by Lucy (new)

Lucy | 81 comments Excited to read this! :)

tiberius  (tiberiusbane38) Can't wait! Definitely going to read it on February

14% (view spoiler)

27% (view spoiler)

Halley (h8236) | 36 comments Argghh still on hold for this! Next in line though, so should come quickly. :) I think it has been about a year and a half since I read this. Excited to revisit, especially with the new movie.

Kirsty | 1332 comments 20% (view spoiler)

60% (view spoiler)

67% (view spoiler)

78% (view spoiler)

87% (view spoiler)

message 19: by Lucy (new)

Lucy | 81 comments Going to start this today :)

message 20: by Maria (last edited Feb 04, 2017 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria (mariasaleem) | 891 comments I just finished the book but I don't understand one thing- (view spoiler)

Maria wrote: "I just finished the book but I don't understand one thing- [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Sea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sea Reads (sea_reads) 15%
I'm loving the gritty, grimy neo-noir tone of the book.
(view spoiler)

Kirsty | 1332 comments 54%: (view spoiler)

Kirsty wrote: "54%: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Kirsty | 1332 comments 70% (view spoiler)

message 26: by tiberius (last edited Feb 08, 2017 05:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

tiberius  (tiberiusbane38) 3.5 stars.
From all them reviews and all the love the book got, I was expecting more.
It was a lovely read though.

tiberius  (tiberiusbane38) Bhavik wrote: "I did read a few chaps and then gave it up coz I got bored.
I guess Danielle steel bummed me too much."

It got better towards the middle

Kirsty | 1332 comments Finished: (view spoiler)

message 29: by Sea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sea Reads (sea_reads) @Kirsty (view spoiler)

61%
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Sea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sea Reads (sea_reads) 72%
(view spoiler)

Sumayah | 1 comments Yourbooks wrote: "Bhavik wrote: "I did read a few chaps and then gave it up coz I got bored.
I guess Danielle steel bummed me too much."

It got better towards the middle"

totally agree, I felt a little bit bored at the beginning and stopped reading for a long time, but then when I got to the middle I just couldn't stop

Antonia | 3 comments Sarah wrote: "Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?" I haven't read a similar type of book before-though i really wanted to read it after all of the reviews

Antonia | 3 comments Maria wrote: "I just finished the book but I don't understand one thing- [spoilers removed]"
When i finished the book I was trying to figure out the same thing!!! I was so surprised till the very end (view spoiler)

Antonia | 3 comments Kirsty wrote: "Finished: [spoilers removed]"
Finished and quite liked it (view spoiler)

Angela (delusionalknitter) | 8 comments I read this book earlier this month, actually the audio version. Which was awesome to listen to with the English accents and different voices - this also took care of any timeline jumping issues - the voices changed at the same time.

I really enjoyed it very much and its not my typical genre.

(view spoiler)

Corrine | 306 comments 20% (view spoiler)

Corrine | 306 comments 45% (view spoiler)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 891 comments Antonia wrote: "Maria wrote: "I just finished the book but I don't understand one thing- [spoilers removed]"
When i finished the book I was trying to figure out the same thing!!! I was so surprised till the very e..."

Of course! And when Rachel went to him, (view spoiler)

Corrine | 306 comments 71% (view spoiler)

Corrine | 306 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Marla | 825 comments I read this a few months ago with my real life book club, so I wanted to wait so I didn't give any spoilers.

I also thought the book started out very slow and I didn't like any of the characters. (view spoiler)